Master volume

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited July 2017 in Amps
I've got an Orange CR60C, which has gain, volume, and master volume knobs. Now, I suspect I'm not getting the best from it as the interaction between the three seems to be more complex than I first thought. My instinct is to get a sound I like by using the volume and gain controls and then use the master to get the required volume. However, it seems there's something to be gained by turning the master up fairly high to begin with and only then to start adjusting the volume and gain. Having the master turned down seems to give quite a thin 'raspy' sound. Is there a set method with master-volume amps? Or is it all about trial and error?

Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Trial and error. Some amps don't change tone much as you turn the volume controls through their range, others do.

Normally, you would use the clean channel volume and the dirty channel volume to balance the clean and dirty sounds accurately, and then the MV to turn the whole amp up or down without having to re-balance the channels… but this can sometimes fall down if the tone of the amp changes a lot, because the apparent clean/dirty balance does as well. (Or the power stage goes into compression at high levels.)

If you're using it as a single-channel amp and not bothering about the clean channel you have more options, including getting more gain by turning up the dirty channel volume a long way and the master down low, but this often doesn't sound good (even on valve amps). If you've found that the other way round sounds better, do that - you can always control the clean channel by turning its volume down a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jackiojackio Frets: 132
    I don't have one, but, reading ICBM's post and owning a mesa LSS, can I suggest sticking to one channel for a while? Set it up so it is 'good enough'.

That way, you get to know the amp and guitar better and don't spend too much time with the 'turn this knob and that knob oh no my sound has gone bad' game.