4 cable method FX recommendations

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited July 2017 in FX
Not that I'm going to dump the pedals (again) but I'm tired of a board that seems to malfunction just for gigs .

I'm not a deep editor type so much prefer knobs to twiddle and things that are easy to set up and gig with

What i'd like- in front of the amp - compression, wah and boost pre amp (boost mostly to get strat volume similar to LP)
in the loop - delays and modulations, and maybe a volume boost (or I'll stick a eq pedal in the line to get same result)

half decent drives just in case we end up at a festival using their backline .  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28356
    #predicatable

Have a look at a Helix (possibly the LT) - yes it does a lot more than that but it's incredibly straightforward to set up - the interface is very flat, no menus and submenus - does all the stuff you want and sounds grand.

Plus you get the USB interface stuff, excellent real-time control, editing and tweaking by foot...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited July 2017
    Firehawk is a good cheaper option too.. my mate uses one with a JVM in a 4cm setup; similarly a POD HD500 would suffice, also giving the option of Amp sims should your amp bail.

You could even consider a Line 6 M13 but it has no expression pedal, again in 4cm;
    ..and lesser still a M9 but again no expression pedal or 4CM setup option (although used to great effect by Dann Huff recently)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    Having tried a few, the Fractal FX8 is the best-sounding of the lot IMHO. There are a couple on here at stupidly low prices too. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4139
    You can use 2 expression pedals with an M13 though, even though it doesn't come with them.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5156

You could even consider a Line 6 M13 but it has no expression pedal, again in 4cm;
    ..and lesser still a M9 but again no expression pedal or 4CM setup option (although used to great effect by Dann Huff recently)
    All the M series pedals have expression pedal input- M9 and M13 have two.

No, they don't come with them, but with a very simple modification you can use the M-Audio EX-P pedal, which will cost you a princely £14. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    part of the reason for the question is that I bought a nova system after selling the nova delay and mod pedals as they sounded nice but i was making my board simpler and the nova system is such a rugged one box solution but the mods sound shite once the amp gain gets hold of them and it can't do 4 cm
    I'll have a look at the other suggestions :)  ta guys
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    Not the PodHD...you can do 4CM but getting rid of the tone suck is a mission and life's too short.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    FX8 or Helix would be my suggestions, there are arguments in favour of either approach and plenty of comparison posts on here and other forums
    Not the PodHD...you can do 4CM but getting rid of the tone suck is a mission and life's too short.
     @nickp ; watch this...

certainly highlights the above issue.. but resolves it admirably...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    M13
    Used it like that for years. You can split it anywhere along the 4 FX and add a couple of expression pedals for good measure
    They are buttons second hand too
     @nickp ; watch this...

have a wisdom :)  thank you
    btw.. what amp are you using??
    My trading feedback

just bought a blackstar series one 6l6 head 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nickp said:
    just bought a blackstar series one 6l6 head 
    nice.. you should be able to take advantage of midi channel switching too with the right unit...
    My trading feedback

@nickp ;; watch this...

I did try the above recommendations in my last whirl with the Pod HD500x in 4CM and it didn't really resolve things...but I've been playing with it again and I think I may have found a fairly big user error I was making. Firstly, turning up the master volume on the Pod all the way does liven things up a lot. But what I noticed today is that the 'volume' control also has a huge effect, even with the modelled amp off or even disabled. I had always thought that this row of knobs applied only to the modelled amp and so was irrelevant in 4CM. But not so...with both these volume knobs turned up all the way and the 3db boost from the mixer into the loop I really don't notice any discernible tone suck.

If you do then want to swap in modelled amps, I guess you have to balance the volume using the master volume in the parameters of the amp - which is a bit fiddly I guess. But doable.
    Just checked the manual and sure enough "With an Amp Block off you’ll see only a VOL knob. This is a separate parameter strictly for the Amp Model’s Bypass Volume. Use the VOLUME knob on your device to adjust this, and its value is stored separately with the Preset for whenever the Amp Block is Bypassed."

I wonder how many people have had the same thing result in perceived tone suck with the HD500 in 4CM. It's not obvious to me that you would have a separate volume setting stored for when the amp is bypassed. Useful, I guess. Plus I suppose it means that you can still use the volume control to control the modelled amp volume separately. Cool.

I'm enjoying playing with this unit again. Using it into a power amp and real cab means I don't have to worry about the quality of the internal modelled cabs and it sounds pretty good. I'm liking the PV Panama model today :)