1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom Pickups

What's Hot
MolochMoloch Frets: 694
S'up peeps. I've recently landed a rather nice 1990 Les Paul Custom and I'm curious to know what pickups are likely to be in it. I should really have taken them out and had a look before getting it set up, but now that that's done, I don't want to waste a perfectly good set of strings after a week, you know?

Based upon sound, all I can really say is that they're definitely not the 498T/490R set, as they're nowhere near dark or gainy enough.

Halp!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Not sure why you think 490/498 are dark or grainy? I've got them in 3 guitars because I like them so much, including an 87 Les Paul Custom in which they seem to be original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 694
    They're nice enough pickups (I've had them in two guitars), but I find that I have to dial in extra treble, as they're very heavy on low mids compared to others that I've tried, such as Burstbucker Pros and '57 Classics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My 89 custom had the bill Lawrence pickups with the pcb. Not sure if they carried over to the 90's custom though
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited July 2017
    I have a 1990 LP Custom too (tobacco sunburst)  - it has the stock p/ups (which I assume are the 498T/490R set) and it sounds really good & just like a LP custom should.

Here's mine - show me yours? 

photo 100_1234_zpsacad7fedjpg

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom