Anyone removed a fretboard?

What's Hot
I bought a headless guitar to mod a few years ago, what I didn't realise at the time was that the truss rod is broken. It needs a refret anyway, so I thought I'd try and remove the fretboard and either reuse it or install a new one. It's quite a nice bit of maple, but I do actually much prefer dark fretboards, so it may depend on how (if!) I can get it off well and also what I decide I want ultimately.

Anyone done this successfully?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Do you know what glue was used?
    If it is epoxy then you are going to struggle.
    If it is hot hide glue then you just heat it with a hairdryer and use a seam separation knife to pry it apart a little at a time.
    If it is titebond then you do the same as hot hide glue but it takes a lot longer.

Another way to do it is to use a heating blanket.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I heat with a normal household iron.  I use a seam seperation knife, but have also done it with a knackered metal ruler in the past.   I have some pics somewhere on photobucket of the headless one I did, so let me see if I can find them.

it takes a while to start but is fairly easy once you get going
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6801
    Does anyone know what sort of glue Fender Japan would have used in the 1990's?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited July 2017
    here is one i did and actually stopped to take pics.  I didn't remove the frets, you can do it with or without them in.  i figured i would get better heat transfer on this board with them in

the tools

Just beginning - it takes about 10-20 minutes to get to this stage with a normal yellow glue like titebond.  note the foil in the background.  I use that to protect the iron from wood oils and finish, don't want those staining my work shirts

it then takes another 5 miinutes to get to this stage - wiggling the knife down every so often... i i keep a hammer near by to gently tap the blade down if needed

comes off pretty cleanly most of the time

i have done this loads of times on various guitars and have only  struggled when someone else has obviously already replaced the board badly and used an unsuitable glue.

If i was planning to re-use the board i would clamp it to a flat board for a few days and then judge to see if it was viable.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Thanks people. Useful pictures!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Yay it worked! Pretty lousy mis-cut channel, real shoddy job.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Well done - nice clean removal :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom