Fixed! I've been resisting all afternoon, but sod it - Upcoming NGD

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited February 2014 in Guitar
Check this bad mutha out.  I've been saving funds for so long now, and been looking forward to doing this for so long...

I've just posted the bridge plate as it's not the usual size for the jig.  So I think it's just those holes that need drilling, and boom!

I've only just noticed, @GSPBASSES has removed the flamed maple veneer on the headstock (which was for a previous body I'd chosen that had a fault I would not be able to repair, so he wanted to keep it) for a black one (ebony?).  What a chap!

Originally was going to be mahogany and flamed maple B Stock body, but sadly, the top had started coming away - far beyond my repair capabilities, so I was offered a couple of others and this was my choice.  

Can't wait to get working on this one, it will (hopefully) be a nice dark grey/black back and sides, with a black-purple burst on the front and a couple of @Theguitarweasel finest pickups being mounted direct into the wood.  I might see if I can get a bit of a burst on the neck, too, before giving it a nice satin finish.  A Wudtone vibrato, blend knob, volume, tone and a mini switch complete the set up!  

This will mean I'll have two partscasters (below) and this beast.  Nice.  

I'll need a family photo I think.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    He's a good guy, that @gspbasses ... I don't think you'll be disappointed when it arrives ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm inclined to agree. He's been super patient with me, which is achievement worthy of a medal... And I don't think the pictures are deceiving, it looks like it'll be a winner!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    It looks like it'll be a winner!
    He doesn't do anything else.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Good score. Your Jazzmaster is lovely too
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    +1 on the jazzmaster. Lovely

• That is going to be a stunning guitar when you have it fitted and finished.
    Great addition to the family

Looking forward to the photo story, good luck and enjoy.   Cheers, Chris

• Cheers guys.  I'm hoping it will become my primary drop C heavy rocking machine, which will mean I can sell the LTD on here.  Ash at Oil City pickups is going to be supplying the pickups, which he wants to do a new design for.  I'm not going to argue ;) 

So, if anyone wants a set neck, carved heel, dual Seymour Duncan pickup loaded mega strat with a mahogany body and flamed cap, keep your eyes peeled in the coming months for what I promise will be a bargain :)
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Looking good! Love the Jazzmaster.
  • Could you give us more info on the Jazzmaster? Dear God I want that now.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited February 2014
    Could you give us more info on the Jazzmaster? Dear God I want that now.
    Sure thing!

It was my first partscaster.  It's got a one piece flamed maple gloss neck from CH Guitars (which is a fairly cheap import - but it's a comfy c shape with medium-big frets and a 2 way truss rod that's heel access).  The body is a one piece swamp ash from Warmoth, and it's pretty heavy.  Relatively cheap gold vibrato, mustang bridge, and Oil City pickups wound the strat pickups and the bridge Gretsch style bucker.  

I used Wudtone Mahogany for the back and sides and outer burst, and Goldenrod for the inner burst.  There are some rub marks from putting too much on at once, but it's overall quite nice for a first go.  My new Tele body has a smoother finish, but even that has a couple of flaws in it (which you'd need pointing out, or to look for).  

The wiring is in 2 parts - a 3 way blade which controls the two single coils, then a 3 way toggle which gives you the 3 way blade, the 3 way blade + humbucker or humbucker alone, so you get 7 sounds all together.  Single coils have a global volume and tone, humbucker has a concentric volume and tone.  

Sadly, I wired the pots backwards and the 3 way has been buggered (Oak switches suck), so at some point the plate will have to come off and I'll redo the lot.  

I'm not a fan of 'yawnburst' type finishes, but it's actually quite beautiful.  Initially, I went for quite a strong burst but didn't like it, so I kept rubbing the goldenrod in until it became more faded around the edges.  

Sounds bitchin', and after shimming the neck (by about a mm, natch) it plays alright, too.  Not a stunning player (the nut is made of cheese and it could do with a teeny bit of truss rod tightening again) but I play it most days, it rings loud acoustically and the trem is totally stable and stays in tune, even when I go to town on that bad boy.  

Never selling - it's sentimental, but it's also a wonderful sounding guitar.  

That's taught me that heel truss rod access is the work of the devil himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Very tasty. And your partscaster too!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Nice :D They're all excellent but I especially like the Jazzmaster. Just a really nice colour that really suits the ash grain.
  • Woah - that's pretty damned awesome! :D :p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers. It's good for a first go, but like I said, I've only just set it up nicely, and I do need to rewire it if I want to gig with it. But that won't happen in the near future. And if you get up close, there are some rubbing marks from putting too much finish on at once...

But my prs will destroy them ;)

I doubt the Tele will be finished for some time. I might even sell it, get some funds back. Which is a shame, because it's lovely to look at...
  • Very very nice! As a slight aside, where has this 'yawnburst' term come from? I see nothing yawn-inducing about it??
  • Very very nice! As a slight aside, where has this 'yawnburst' term come from? I see nothing yawn-inducing about it??
    I nicked it from @ICBM, so copyright to him.  

But it's because it's so tasteful and so common, everyone has a burst guitar that is in the usual colours... So it's dull.  

Yawnburst :)

I like it! Nout wrong with it, but I tend to prefer more exciting looks, or flat colours.  So my PRS will probably be flat black grey or a purple-black burst on the front.  Something that's not so common and yawn inducing ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    LOL @ yawnburst :))