Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited July 2017
    @bigjon  can I add another request for your workshops if it's not too late? I'd like to look at percussive play / left hand muting. An example of what I mean would be the rhythm part of "Mardy Bum" by Arctic Monkeys. 

Does that make sense?
    That's fine, still at the stage of gathering expressions of interest in the workshops. The list so far is

Legionreturns - soloing over chord progressions + breaking out of habitual shapes & licks + percussive play / left-hand muting à la Mardy Bum.
    TADodger - any /all
    Nikko - any / all
    Vinylfan - strumming patterns, string-bending, power-chord progressions.
    ennspek - any / all
    aord43 - any / all
    not_the_dj - bends with added vibrato
    darthed1981 - observer
    WezV - observer
    slacker - how to solo without a slide
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    I'm planning on sitting quietly at the back, watching and learning!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Count me in for the workshop on just about anything 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    See, I'd love to contribute and run a workshop, but I don't think I know enough of anything that other people might want to know...
    <space for hire>
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    See, I'd love to contribute and run a workshop, but I don't think I know enough of anything that other people might want to know...
    Everything I know, @bigjon knows more of in every way, so unless he specifically wants any practical help with his workshops, I'll leave that side of it to him.
    I think people have had plenty of time to suggest content for the workshops, so I'll make a proposal and people can comment yay or nay.

I'd like to take three very basic chord progressions in simple keys, and use those chord progressions as the basis for workshopping 4 topics:
    1) Playing chords on fewer strings, e.g. power chords
    2) Strumming and muting patterns for rhythm guitar
    3) Adapting licks in solos to follow the underlying chord
    4) String-bending

I think that covers the broad range of the topics that have been requested. More specific queries, e.g. adding vibrato to bends, I'll aim to cover in the session where the person with the query (not_the_dj in this case) is present.

I'd like to repeat this plan for each workshop we do, but aim it at progressively more experienced players: so if we do two workshops the first could be for beginners and the second could be for beginners-plus to intermediate. Obviously anyone is welcome to observe any of the workshops.

The approach I'd like to take is for a participant to play something and then to suggest the next step or two for that topic. It would therefore help if each participant were prepared to play something for at least one of the topics. Otherwise of course they would be welcome to attend the workshop as an observer rather than a participant.

Does that sound OK to people as a general approach?
    The list of people who have expressed interest in the workshops so far is - 

Legionreturns - soloing over chord progressions + breaking out of habitual shapes & licks + percussive play / left-hand muting à la Mardy Bum.
    TADodger - any /all
    Nikko - any / all
    Vinylfan - strumming patterns, string-bending, power-chord progressions.
    ennspek - any / all
    aord43 - any / all
    not_the_dj - bends with added vibrato
    darthed1981 - observer
    WezV - observer
    slacker - how to solo without a slide
    TTony - observer
    Flink_Poyd - any /all

@digitalscream I'll pm you about joining me as a contributor for any or all of the topics - it would be great to have your input to the sessions.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    All sounds great @bigjon ;

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll throw something together. I'll have my looper on my board of that should be any use in these. That's how I tend to practice improvising. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    bigjon said:
    I think people have had plenty of time to suggest content for the workshops, so I'll make a proposal and people can comment yay or nay.

I'd like to take three very basic chord progressions in simple keys, and use those chord progressions as the basis for workshopping 4 topics:
    3) Adapting licks in solos to follow the underlying chord
    4) String-bending

I think that covers the broad range of the topics that have been requested. More specific queries, e.g. adding vibrato to bends, I'll aim to cover in the session where the person with the query (not_the_dj in this case) is present.

I'd like to repeat this plan for each workshop we do, but aim it at progressively more experienced players: so if we do two workshops the first could be for beginners and the second could be for beginners-plus to intermediate. Obviously anyone is welcome to observe any of the workshops.

The approach I'd like to take is for a participant to play something and then to suggest the next step or two for that topic. It would therefore help if each participant were prepared to play something for at least one of the topics. Otherwise of course they would be welcome to attend the workshop as an observer rather than a participant.

Does that sound OK to people as a general approach?
    That sounds like a great idea.  Forgot to add that palm muting would be a good topic so nice to see that someone else has suggested it.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited July 2017
    In anticipation of a place becoming available....have I missed what songs we are are going try and do?

Dont mind doing electric, also have tons of acoustic Choons I could jam ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    In anticipation of a place becoming available....have I missed what songs we are are going try and do?

You've got a place !
     @monofin had to pull out and you're in his place.

Check the list.
    I tagged you in the post on the Logistics thread as well.

:)
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @bigjon - your idea seems good to me. Happy to have a go with the aim to see where I need to focus my time to improve. @legionreturns list of workshop topics fits quite well for me also.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Sounds good to me @bigjon ;
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Pleased to announce that @digitalscream has agreed to come on board as a co-contributor for the workshops - if we run with the four topics I've proposed he'll focus on contributions to topics (1) and (2) - 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    bigjon said:
    Big sign up for me on this one.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Yep - can't guarantee that I'll have anything useful to say, but at the very least I'll be able to give very wrong advice that @bigjon is able to correct. Sort of a reverse-muse, if you will.
    <space for hire>
    bigjon said:
    @darthed1981 does that mean you would like to change your entry on the workshop list from being an observer to being a participant? :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    bigjon said:
    bigjon said:
    @darthed1981 does that mean you would like to change your entry on the workshop list from being an observer to being a participant? :-)
    Yeah why not I was going to sit at the back with the cool kids, slouch and pass notes but I'll get more involved ☺
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Alnico said:
    spark240 said:

You've got a place !

Check the list.

Woah !....Cool...err...so what equipment of mine if any, would you like me to bring?

Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo, Boss RC300 looper.

And it there a lost of guitars people are bringing to have a strum on?...be good to bring something that might not be there already in case some folks want to try them out?

Thanks again!

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    spark240 said:

You've got a place !

Check the list.

Woah !....Cool...err...so what equipment of mine if any, would you like me to bring?

Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo, Boss RC300 looper.

And it there a lost of guitars people are bringing to have a strum on?...be good to bring something that might not be there already in case some folks want to try them out?

Thanks again!

I'd say the Kemper and the RC300 definitely.

Bring a couple of your favourite guitars and that's a more than worthy addition to a massive line up anyway.
    I'm sure there'll be loads of Strats and Les Pauls so if you have something a bit different then go for that.
    Electro Acoustic?
    We could use that as a backing for loads of songs.
    Acoustic really helps fill songs out.

What guitars do you have that you could bring?