Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Tbh I've just picked either 3 chord stuff or songs I know in my head already - keeping the prep low
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    horse said:
    Tbh I've just picked either 3 chord stuff or songs I know in my head already - keeping the prep low
    Whatever! Machine status awarded ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited July 2017
    Nice one Bridgehouse.
    In the main room we are going to run it like this:

Song Key:

Basically we are going to do most songs in their original key.
    Where multiple version of the songs exist in different keys I will clarify which version we are playing and give you a key for each song.
    If you are someone who doesn't do theory then I can also give a first chord in instances where the song doesn't start on the tonic.

Guitar Tuning: Standard EADGBE

I don't suggest we detune for any songs- just play them using standard EADGBE tuning.
    To clarify what I mean here, if an artist recorded a song a semitone down then we play it in standard tuning so we would be playing it a semitone higher than the recording.

If you need to practice them to the original then I'd suggest using a program like Transcribe! for practice and pitchshift the track, or practice detuned but play in standard tuning on the day.
    If you are someone who usually tunes down/differently then I assume you will be able to accommodate playing with other people in standard tuning.

Transcribing and learning songs:

All of these songs will have cheat sheets available on the web (Ultimate Guitar is good) but I'd urge people to at least attempt to do it by ear. 
    I don't want to leave people stranded though so if you feel the need then reach out in the thread or PM me and I will try to help.
    Structure will be as the original song, I will clarify which version in cases where there are different versions.
    How close do you need to get to the original? Close enough for a gig, if you want to learn a solo note for note then go for it but IMHO these days work best when people have a 'close enough for rock n roll' attitude.

On the day:

I'd like to say we can have multiple goes at songs if things go off the rails but in reality I don't think that will be possible.
    I suggest we approach this like a traditional gig- once a song starts we don't stop and we all need to listen to one another.
    I will have charts for myself (I'm drumming) for the structure and such.
    In case of a total train wreck then I might stop the song and say take it from the second chorus or wherever it went off the rails.

I want to reiterate that no-one expects 100% perfect playing- there are going to be mistakes, just do your best.

One final thing- I don't want to sound like a party pooper but I'd like to see the between song noodling kept to an absolute minimum (like a real gig). If you can shred the arse off the guitar then there are songs to do that in and we can always have some noodle fest after we get through the posted songs.

I know this is sounding a bit like band camp but there has to be some sort of organisation otherwise it ends up being chaos.

If anything here isn't clear then just ask me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    @octatonic  - mucho wisdom!

Re the noodlefest - second room is booked (the Curve) - its right next door to the Theatre (main room) and is massive, so plenty of space to widdle away to your hearts content, warm up, practice, Jam, whatever.. 

If you think of it as a no-pressure, just with friends "open mic" for the beginner, and thus as close to reality as we can get it whilst still maintaining some semblance of order then I think everyone will find it will do us all wonders!

Think of the other room as a massive version of your bedroom but with less used wank tissues.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    octatonic said:
    One final thing- I don't want to sound like a party pooper but I'd like to see the between song noodling kept to an absolute minimum (like a real gig). If you can shred the arse off the guitar then there are songs to do that in and we can always have some noodle fest after we get through the posted songs.

That is a REALLY good point - it could get very tiring very quickly otherwise
    I will limit myself to 5 songs as well - so there's lots of bass slots for others, and so I can be available to get people lined up, help with kit, help with setup etc in the second room and generally be about for people to ask questions of and such the like.

I may even wear a silly hat so people know where I am at all times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    @octatonic - I'd suggest that Cynical (if anybody's brave enough) would have to be in drop-D, which would be a semitone up from the record. Forcing it into standard (3 semitones up from the record) would a) make it almost impossible to play, and b) make it absolutely impossible for anyone with nads to sing ;)
    <space for hire>
    @octatonic - I'd suggest that Cynical (if anybody's brave enough) would have to be in drop-D, which would be a semitone up from the record. Forcing it into standard (3 semitones up from the record) would a) make it almost impossible to play, and b) make it absolutely impossible for anyone with nads to sing ;)
    It's already out of my range on the record ;)
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited July 2017
    Ok, here we go:

1 Learning to Fly
    2 Pretty Vacant (reminds me of school and my old cassette Walkman)
    3 Running Down a Dream
    4 Sunshine of Your Love (on the fence about this - so a maybe)

Level - very firmly in the beginner category.

I might try a few of the others in case they are easier to play than the ones I've listed above.  Q for you experienced guys - anything to watch for on any of the 4 above??

Cheers
    It's already out of my range on the record ;)
    Exactly...it's rare that I'm sympathetic to singers, but I'll make an exception in this case :D

Tuning one string on guitar and bass isn't exactly onerous, and I doubt many will be trying that song anyway. As it stands, the bassist I had in mind doesn't appear to be coming, so it's possible it won't get played at all.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Can i'd love to join in on these two:

Crossroads - Eric Clapton

Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty

...and ideally these but don't want to be greedy  

Foxy lady - Hendrix

Hard to handle - Black Crowes

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

I'm an experienced player as in I gig in a covers band, but you'll soon notice pretty much every solo I play is based on the minor pentatonic scale so I'm by no means a shredder. 

Can i'd love to join in on these two:

Crossroads - Eric Clapton

Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty

...and ideally these but don't want to be greedy  

Foxy lady - Hendrix

Hard to handle - Black Crowes

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

I'm an experienced player as in I gig in a covers band, but you'll soon notice pretty much every solo I play is based on the minor pentatonic scale so I'm by no means a shredder. 

I think we will be short experienced wise so I'd brush up on all of them just in case ;)
    edited July 2017
    @octatonic - I'd suggest that Cynical (if anybody's brave enough) would have to be in drop-D, which would be a semitone up from the record. Forcing it into standard (3 semitones up from the record) would a) make it almost impossible to play, and b) make it absolutely impossible for anyone with nads to sing
    Yes, drop D is fine (I knew one would catch me out).
    But I don't think tuning down to Eb and then dropping the Eb to Db (which I think is what Nuno does) would be sensible on the day.
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic - I'd suggest that Cynical (if anybody's brave enough) would have to be in drop-D, which would be a semitone up from the record. Forcing it into standard (3 semitones up from the record) would a) make it almost impossible to play, and b) make it absolutely impossible for anyone with nads to sing
    Yes, drop D is fine (I knew one would catch me out).
    But I don't think tuning down to Eb and then dropping the Eb to Db (which I think is what Nuno does) would be sensible on the day.
    Yep, that's what Nuno does, and nope...not a good plan ;)

Of course, I'm going to have to muck around with the truss rod on my Tele - there's so little wood in the body that the neck joint flexes even just going from drop-Db to Eb standard!
    <space for hire>
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    I'd love to play drums on hard to handle if possible- it's one I'm currently learning. I assume there will be a drum kit (minus cymbals) in the second room as well?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited July 2017
    mrkb said:
    I'd love to play drums on hard to handle if possible- it's one I'm currently learning. I assume there will be a drum kit (minus cymbals) in the second room as well?
    Not on the main set if you don't mind.
    If we are changing drummers for those songs then it will take ages to get through the songs as drummers always need to move things about.
    My kit is set up with memory locks so moving things about is a non-trivial thing.
    I don't mind people playing my kit after the set.

I think there will be a drum kit in the other room but you will need to bring cymbals.
    @Alnico @Bridgehouse can you confirm this last point?
    Yes I can confirm there is another kit in the other room, and you will need cymbals.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Yes I can confirm there is another kit in the other room, and you will need cymbals.
    If it's anything like my local studio, you can hire cymbals by the hour? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    If it's anything like my local studio, you can hire cymbals by the hour? 
    There's a full drum shop on site!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    octatonic said:
    bigjon said:

As I said before, once I am presented with a final list I will work hard to make positive contributions to the songs and make the whole event as enjoyable as possible for everyone. I am available as a drummer (reasonable, not expert, probably about grade 7 standard) so you won't need to drum on all the songs if you don't want to.
    Thank you but I've got the set covered for drumming.
    All you need to do on the day is turn up and play guitar.
    I realise you are experienced but so are a lot of us.
    There will be a second room than you could potentially play drums in, I'll let one of the others comment on what gear needs to be brought, I don't have much to do with that.
    I'm in this to play guitar, so I'll be happy not to play drums at all the whole day, ditto singing / keys / bass.
    Equally happy to do singing / keys / bass / drums in whichever room as and when requested. You did after all initially request help on the drumming front :-)
    octatonic said:
    Does anyone else play drums?
    If so then I will bring along a guitar as well and we can change about.