Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Alnico I'd request to get involved on

Plug In Baby
    Beat It
    Anarchy In The UK

If any song is short and you need someone to play some chords, I'll happily support the band.

Wouldn't mind trying a bit of singing on any of those either.

Skill wise I've been playing on and off for years, but still on the lower end of intermediate.

I do have an issue where I turn to jelly when people can hear me play that I'd love the jam to help me get over, that might reduce me to a sloppy beginner if it kicks in!

Could go either way, could end up trying to Hang with you guys as much as possible to play with others more , I could end up chucking my gear in the skip  on the way out! :lol:
    Now,.........Ladles and Jellyspoons.........THAT in bold is one of the biggest factors in WHY we are doing this thing.
    We ALL know that feeling and no matter how well you prepare for something, your fingers feel like someone poured super glue all over them, that utter rock star you were when practising the piece now sounds like a frightened child, you're shaking........NOTICEABLY !!!
    Tips and tricks for getting past those feelings are what this is all about and the best way past it is to warm the fuck up first and get the fuck on with it but we'll show you as we go.
    Any help we can have from enthusiastic singers is welcome.

Great post and a good point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I'm in deep negotiations with teech about what I'm going to have a go at. With the time available I'm aiming for 2 from the list so bring some earplugs 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

In a day or two, we will look at which songs work best here.
    As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.
    This means that each 30 minute slot in Room 2 has a theme.

Yes, please! I do Another Brick in the spirit of PF but not in the exact style, rather in a much more open, jammable format. I think lots of you would enjoy having a go and listening to what each other comes up with. It's only 4 chords and it's all do-able in D minor pentatonic, so it's accessible to everyone.
    Jon,

That sounds fine.
    Amongst whatever else you do on the day we can work out the last 30-minute slot in room 2 to end the day and 'Theme' it as PF.
    All I really ask for throughout the whole day, whether I get to play in room 1 on the songs I mentioned above or not, is to play room 2,...'Comfortably Numb' and to take the lead guitar parts as my own.

I'd be happy to forgo everything else on the day just to get a crack at that and by that I don't mean share the lead or make up our own version of the song, I mean perform a decent, solid rendition of the actual song and let ME have the lead guitar parts start to finish. For this, I'll need a rhythm guitarist who's happy just playing rhythm on that track.

After the effort I'm personally putting into this day along with the other two guys, that's not much to ask of everyone to let me have that is it?

Either way, the PF slot in room 2 can be timed so that room 1 can already be shutting down and ready for packing up mode while everyone piles into room 2 to watch the last session of the day (maybe) as an idea for itinerary........we can sort that out nearer the time.
    I'm in deep negotiations with teech about what I'm going to have a go at. With the time available I'm aiming for 2 from the list so bring some earplugs 
    No problem, we can work things out as we go.
    Looking forward to seeing you myself, it's been two years since jammed together!

Let me know which songs when you know and I'll do what I can to put you with the right people or back you up myself if that ends up being the best thing to do.
    Nice one.
    ;)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Are we keeping a list of what people have put forward? I could compile that if it helps but obviously I can't post it into one of the spare posts. Want me to do that and pm it to you @Bridgehouse ? Saves you a job.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Alnico said:
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.

Yes, please! I do Another Brick in the spirit of PF but not in the exact style, rather in a much more open, jammable format. I think lots of you would enjoy having a go and listening to what each other comes up with. It's only 4 chords and it's all do-able in D minor pentatonic, so it's accessible to everyone.
    Jon,

That sounds fine.
    Amongst whatever else you do on the day we can work out the last 30-minute slot in room 2 to end the day and 'Theme' it as PF.
    All I really ask for throughout the whole day, whether I get to play in room 1 on the songs I mentioned above or not, is to play room 2,...'Comfortably Numb' and to take the lead guitar parts as my own.

I'd be happy to forgo everything else on the day just to get a crack at that and by that I don't mean share the lead or make up our own version of the song, I mean perform a decent, solid rendition of the actual song and let ME have the lead guitar parts start to finish. For this, I'll need a rhythm guitarist who's happy just playing rhythm on that track.

After the effort I'm personally putting into this day along with the other two guys, that's not much to ask of everyone to let me have that is it?

Either way, the PF slot in room 2 can be timed so that room 1 can already be shutting down and ready for packing up mode while everyone piles into room 2 to watch the last session of the day (maybe) as an idea for itinerary........we can sort that out nearer the time.

I think that's MORE than fair. I don't think there would be a single person that would object to you or any of the other organisers having something just for yourselves considering the effort that has been put in to the organisation of the event.

Personally looking forward to this one whether im involved in it or not.

Still got to sort out in my head what id feel comfortable doing. Im definitely no lead player, so songs with relatively easy rhythm guitar will be the key for me.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Alnico said:

I guess the same can be said for 'Running down a dream' but I do know that it would make Colin's day to play that one @not_the_dj so I'll see what he says first plus as I write this there may well be others interested in that song.

More than happy to share the limelight on that one. There's scope in the solo section for lick trading and "pass the solo" and it's a real easy progression to solo over.
    Alnico said:

I guess the same can be said for 'Running down a dream' but I do know that it would make Colin's day to play that one @not_the_dj so I'll see what he says first plus as I write this there may well be others interested in that song.

More than happy to share the limelight on that one. There's scope in the solo section for lick trading and "pass the solo" and it's a real easy progression to solo over.
    Great Colin,

To be honest with you (hey @TheOtherDennis ........there's that bloody phrase again!.......LOL)

If you would take that one with @fandango that would be a nice idea because I'll be happy to stand back a lot of the time and let other people have the stuff they want to do.
    As @Bridgehouse has already said multiple times, we can play through a certain song more than once if it's popular so if 'Running down a Dream' is one of those, don't worry......... @not_the_dj and @fandango is one pairing and we can organise another pairing for another go at it, no problem.
    Colin, you gig this song fairly regularly so you could be a big help to @fandango 'On Stage' as it were?

Nikko said:
    Alnico said:
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

Jon,

That sounds fine.

I think that's MORE than fair. I don't think there would be a single person that would object to you or any of the other organisers having something just for yourselves considering the effort that has been put in to the organisation of the event.

Personally looking forward to this one whether im involved in it or not.

Still got to sort out in my head what id feel comfortable doing. Im definitely no lead player, so songs with relatively easy rhythm guitar will be the key for me.

Thanks @Nikko

I do hope everyone else sees it this way,

Although I WILL be there for anyone who wants me to be with their songs to help or back them up in any way and although I'm happy to sing where others may not be etc........Playing the lead on 'Comfortably Numb' in the last Session in room 2 on my strat through my own effects is just about THE highlight of the day for me and the one thing I ask for from everyone.
    I don't feel like that's too much to ask as everyone else is having something tailored (As much as we can) to suit them and their ability and style.
    My ability and style (If I have any at all) lie firmly in this camp with this as probably one of the best songs I do and as such, it's my top pick and the one song I know I can make a really good job of.
    If no one has a problem with this it would be an honour to play it for everyone and hopefully for the people listening to enjoy it as the best performance I can give as a guitarist.

As long as this one request is ok with everyone, I will be looking forward to this with the same excitement that everyone else has with 'Their' choices of song and believe me, I will be just as nervous as the rest of you, despite the years of doing this already behind me.

How does everyone feel about that one request then?
    Are you all happy to let me have that?
    I don't just mean the song as my choice etc,..... I mean the lead guitar in that song throughout. Not a loose Jam or a fucked up 'Own version' of it but a hand-on-heart proper rendition of it as a cover, performed for the people who've come along to make the day into what it is, to end the day on a  real high note?

Whichever room it happens in due to the Itinerary, that's not really so important at this stage and can be worked around on spec.......

Is that ok?
    edited July 2017
    I'd like some time at some point in room two to practice improvising over chord progressions, maybe with a bit of help. Is this something  that fits with the general idea of room 2? 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Sounds good to me @Alnico and @fandango ;(re:Running Down a Dream).....just to be clear I will need someone else to sing it.
    I'd like some time at some point in room two to practice improvising over chord progressions, maybe with a bit of help. Is this something  that fits with the general idea of room 2? 
    That's precisely one of the functions of room 2.
    YES.

Short workshop style things, general practice, Chat, gear geekiness.........it's all in room 2 interspersed with some 30-minute slots of slightly more focused performances by the more experienced crowd, maybe working alongside room 1 while room 1 has a 30-minute break? Maybe, maybe not it's something we can work out in the Itinerary closer to the time and only an idea for now,..........room 1 might not need or want a full 30 minutes break and by the same token, each slot in room2 may not be the full 30 minutes but that's the loose frame work of that part of it.

Back to your question about room 2.........Absolutely.
    No problem at all.

@bigjon might also want to get involved in some 'Workshop' themed stuff in room 2, maybe tutoring a small group for 20 minutes at a time or something like that?

Again, all stuff we can spend these weeks organising and refining - NOT a solid plan right now, is that clear and ok with everyone and is everyone on the same page with us 3 organisers "Working it out and refining it as an idea?"
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    May I ask a question re: studio amps?

I'm just wondering what level the band is going to be playing at.  I'm tempted to bring my Katana 50 so I can get some tips on using it for home practise and getting good tones out of it (because I can take the live settings that work at full whack, turn it down to half a watt on the attenuator, and poof - home volumes), and also to thrash the crap out of it at band volume, but obviously if the rest of the band are plugging into AC30s - the little Katana will be lost in the mix!

Is it better to assume there will be some kind of true valve or 150w solid state job in the studio which we mediocre players can plug into, are the backing band going to sort-of pick amps for the "guest" guitarists?

I'm guessing there would be literally no point in plugging in anything QUIETER than a Katana 50 in room one in any case?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Will your Katana get over a drum kit?
    I've not used the 50w one so I don't know if it can.
    Would imagine you will be fine.
    octatonic said:
    Will your Katana get over a drum kit?
    I've not used the 50w one so I don't know if it can.
    Would imagine you will be fine.

They do, yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    May I ask a question re: studio amps?

I'm just wondering what level the band is going to be playing at.  I'm tempted to bring my Katana 50 so I can get some tips on using it for home practise and getting good tones out of it (because I can take the live settings that work at full whack, turn it down to half a watt on the attenuator, and poof - home volumes), and also to thrash the crap out of it at band volume, but obviously if the rest of the band are plugging into AC30s - the little Katana will be lost in the mix!

Is it better to assume there will be some kind of true valve or 150w solid state job in the studio which we mediocre players can plug into, are the backing band going to sort-of pick amps for the "guest" guitarists?

I'm guessing there would be literally no point in plugging in anything QUIETER than a Katana 50 in room one in any case?
    Yes please do bring it but there will be SO MUCH gear there and lots of amps so there won't be any shortage of the right amps for each song etc.

I would say that ALL amps are welcome in general, big and small because in room 2 we have the amp shootout and we can use smaller amps there.
    To that end, I'm bringing my CODE 25 but I don't think for a minute it's enough to use in Room 1.

The Katana is a surprising amp for seeming so little and I think the day will change people's perception of it a lot.
    I've owned one, before I bought the CODE 25 and I did blast it outdoors briefly, much to the building sites amusement next door!
    They're quite a gutsy amp for being so compact.

But yes,......all amps are welcome and that's another one of the functions of room 2.
    Overspill, gear demo's, workshops, amp shootout,..........etc.
    edited July 2017
    @darthed1981 I said earlier up that I was going to bring my katana 100, there are very few differences. When I've run it in the studio, even with a drummer I've never used the 100w option, I've still run it on 50 or 0.5 and it's been plenty loud. Your 50 will cope fine. If you want to save yourself the carrying though you'd be more than welcome to plug into mine instead as long as we're not playing the same song! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I'm hoping we might try to keep the volume not too OTT, or I'll have ear plugs in and won't hear so well.

@alnico - I'm happy to add some strings to comfortably numb

One other thought I had, but might not be time / might not be feasible - I'd be happy to hold down some simple atmospheric keyboard low notes / chords  if anybody would like to have a go at improvising over them - it can be quite satisfying even with just basic pentatonic skills to experience noodling over some keyboard pads and pretend your gilmour or moore etc - just a thought

Forgot to say @Alnico Id be happy to have a stab at the rhythm on Comfortably Numb. Seems like fairly simple open chords.

Happy to be bumped by someone more experienced though if you wanted, as I wouldn't want to risk a balls up on the last song of the day.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Alnico said:

@bigjon might also want to get involved in some 'Workshop' themed stuff in room 2, maybe tutoring a small group for 20 minutes at a time or something like that?
    I'd be very happy to help in that way.
    edited July 2017
    horse said:
    I'm hoping we might try to keep the volume not too OTT, or I'll have ear plugs in and won't hear so well.

@alnico - I'm happy to add some strings to comfortably numb

One other thought I had, but might not be time / might not be feasible - I'd be happy to hold down some simple atmospheric keyboard low notes / chords  if anybody would like to have a go at improvising over them - it can be quite satisfying even with just basic pentatonic skills to experience noodling over some keyboard pads and pretend your gilmour or moore etc - just a thought
    I'll take you up on that offer Pete, thank you very much.

Nikko said:

Forgot to say @Alnico Id be happy to have a stab at the rhythm on Comfortably Numb. Seems like fairly simple open chords.

Happy to be bumped by someone more experienced though if you wanted, as I wouldn't want to risk a balls up on the last song of the day.

Thanks for your offer Nikko but I would rather do this one with Pete if you don't mind given his regular stage experience.
    No offence meant by that at all.

@Bridgehouse ........I'll need you for bass guitar on this one and as you and @horse are in the same band in real-life, so to speak, that works on other levels as well.