Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What song shows the best use of the Wah Wah pedal....

What's Hot

Comments

• I think most rockers use them a lot to add another level of expression to solos. Often just switching them on at the end of solos or on the outro. Slash, for example, does this all the time. A good example of this would be the solo in Alive by Pearl Jam. Awesome!!

Frusciante uses it to great effect. Loads of it on any Skynyrd Album. Hendrix!

Funk is the domain of "full on" wah, but wah is pretty constant in rock. I love 'em!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mick Ronson FFS!! :)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Maybe not the best use and unusually jazzy for Hendrix but if you don't know it have a listen to Rainy Day Dream Away.  Wah kicks in at about 2.50 through to the outro.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @LastMantra Fools Gold yes plus all the other John Squire wah wah wonderment. He defined wah for a new generation of British kids.

Johhny Marr on The Queen is Dead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Amazed no vote for White Room

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2014
    Loads of Wah on the Derek and the Dominoes live album. Some great extended jams on that, I might even prefer his playing then to the Cream era (maybe...)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Shaft!

All the way :)
    Agreed
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    +1 on voodoo chile and don't believe a word
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Gassage said:
    Amazed no vote for White Room
    I was going to but Tales Of Brave Ulysses is a better example, I think - or at least a different way of using it from the classic 'vocal solo' type.

Loads of Wah on the Derek and the Dominoes live album. Some great extended jams on that, I might even prefer his playing then to the Cream era (maybe...)
    Same here. I'm not a huge fan of most of Cream - the best is very good, but to me basically anything that isn't on the 'Strange Brew' compilation has always seemed self-indulgent or just a bit crap! (With the possible exception of What A Bringdown from Goodbye.)

+1 on Mick Ronson too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lest we forget... Surfing With The Alien.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    For Wah humour, Vai on the intro of 'Yankee Rose".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    +1 on Shaft, White Room and the Hendrix and Chili Peppers tunes mentioned. Plus, I would say, Hendrix's Burning of the Midnight Lamp, and the first song on SRV's live album. 

• Kebabkid said:
    The Professionals 
    Excellent answer.

My brain has now gone to the bass line from Bergerac (which was Mo Foster).Might have to start a theme choons Discussion.

:bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    +1 for Rainy Day Dream Away. Humour + wah.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rose Royce Wishing on a Star

Jamiroquai High Times, Canned Heat

Shaft is the ultimate though as previously mentioned
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited February 2014

a less obvious way to use the wah is to 'ride' it rather than the typical Shaft 'quack' grooves..

in this sense you use it to add extra expressive quailities by makng small tonal alterations whilst you play to generate a feeling of greater intensity..

this is the way I mostly use a wah..

I totally fell in love with this method after hearing the big final solo in War by Satriani [a great example of 'riding a wah']

play every note as if it were your first
    edited February 2014

The beginning of Marvin Gaye's "Let's get it on" is quite nice and I always liked the guitars on The Eurythmics' "Sisters are doin' it for themselves" and there are wah fills throughout, but the wah solo (I think an octaver or harmoniser have been added to it) sounds good - I assume Dave Stewart played that.

I love the use and sound of wah in Thin Lizzy and it's good to see quite a few people citing Robbo's playing on "Don't believe a word". Have any of you heard Robbo's post-Lizzy band Wild Horses? There's some great playing by him on the 2 albums they released, including good use of the wah, as witnessed here where he uses it to tone-shape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB4BcCZFzYQ

Whilst we're on ex-Lizzy boys,what about Gary Moore's "Back on the streets - nice wah solo from 1.50 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiICJ4zWDE

I think I asked this question on MR but anyone know what wah Robbo or Scot Gorham favoured as I love the sound?

• From what I read Robbo used a Colorsound wah in Lizzy. I was reading some stuff about Junior Marvin and he used one with Bob Marley so this is roughly the same period I guess.

edited February 2014
    Thanks @EricTheWeary - with Macaris just up the road from my work, I'll check the Coloursounds out, but assume the re-issued stuff won't sound the same. Let's see.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Thanks @EricTheWeary - with Macaris just up the road from my work, I'll check the Coloursounds out, but assume the re-issued stuff won't sound the same. Let's see.
    That old Colorsound stuff used to pop up in second hand shops cheap as chips. Collectable now.

:o3