Solid state Combo amp?

What's Hot
BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
edited July 2017 in Amps
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good solid state Combo which does good cleans, takes pedals well, sounds 'big' and preferably has 1 or 2 12" speakers. I'm not bothered about built in effects but I'm not bothered if they are their either. I not bothered about it having a gain or od channel. Current contenders include a Blackstar id60 or a Roland jc40. Any other ideas? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Peavey Bandit or Special
    Orange Crush 60 or 120
    Fender Champion 100

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    If you're looking at combos then the Peavey Bandit or  Award-Session Blues Baby.

If you want a very small but powerful head then the Quliter or DV Mark heads are less than 5kg and will work with pretty much any cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    To jump on the bandwagon (without trying to derail the thread) I'm also looking for a SS amp which will give great cleans at home use volumes. 

Had a recommendation for a Blues Cube Hot - any experience here of that amp? Thanks. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Some very helpful info here, thankyou gents 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good solid state Combo which does good cleans, takes pedals well, sounds 'big' and preferably has 1 or 2 12" speakers. I'm not bothered about built in effects but I'm not bothered if they are their either. I not bothered about it having a gain or od channel. Current contenders include a Blackstar id60 or a Roland jc40. Any other ideas? 
    The Blackstar and the Roland seem weirdly at odds with each other. The DV Mark Jazz combos might be a viable alternative to the Roland and there's a new 2x12. 

I was using a Bandit last night. I'm not sure they sound 'big' and they take a bit of dialling in ( just too many knobs and switches) but when you have it's possible to set up a great base tone that's very happy with pedals. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Boss Katana! :)  Great all-rounder, not pure "solid state" but not really a "modelling" amp - well worth an audition I love mine
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Quilter head plus a lightweight cab. Herein happiness lies.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
     i s. econd the boss katana. i wasnt bothered about having onboard effects but they actually work quite well.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Session BluesBaby...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like the Tech 21 Trademark combos but then I've never tried a Katana.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I use a Fender Champion 110 for a lot of gigs, tiny amp that sounds great. Needs mic;ing for bigger gigs mind
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The JC40 has a decent sound stage with its 2x10 speakers although lacks a bit on the bottom end.

It takes pedals really well and it has a stereo fx loop which is pretty rare (ping pong delay sounds brilliant).

It's pricier than the alternatives but it's built like a tank
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Vox AV60 should be worth a try, or the AV30 with a 10" speaker.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    If you're coming to the jam you're welcome to try out my Katana100 1x12. I have to footswitch for it and additional pedals. Huge sound for the price!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited July 2017
    Marshall Valvestate - I have the 8080 1x12 '80v' - the most popular Marshall amp ever made.  Proper 2 channel, footswitchable amp with a master volume, a proper spring reverb, clean/crunch and OD1/OD2 channel, contour control (effectively a versatile EQ circuit) series fx loop with loop level switch, line-out, Celestion G12T75 speaker (this may vary).  Cracking little amp (also comes as a 2x12), good cleans, nice Marshall crunch, and great with MFX or conventional pedals.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Katanas are good amps but if you wanted something simpler and beefier then the Orange CR120 is where it's at in my opinion!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Voxman said:

contour control (effectively a versatile EQ circuit)
    It's basically a mid shift/scoop control - at Marshall they called it the "old guy/young guy knob" apparently :).

Voxman said:

Celestion G12T75 speaker (this may vary).
    The 'Marshall Gold Back' Eminence is more common, I think - but the G12T-75 sounds better.

I've always thought that if they'd made them with a ply cabinet, standard Marshall styling and slightly better build quality - basically a circuit update of the JCM800 solid state series - they would have made a genuinely great amp. It would have been more expensive and probably sold less well though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Tech 21 Trademark 60, every time. I have one in Hinckley if you want to try one
  • manimani Frets: 10
    ellwood said:
    Tech 21 Trademark 60, every time. I have one in Hinckley if you want to try one
    A great amp - excellent cleans