Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Amazing stuff...  Looks frikken great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Looking fantastic Wez! 

So so glad you went with gold.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Looks like another great build Wes. The relic Esquire had an outing at the Leicester Jam yesterday and I ended up using it all day.
  • Great build loved the gold choice going flame was way to obvious for Wez build thread lol
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    TADodger said:
    Looks like another great build Wes. The relic Esquire had an outing at the Leicester Jam yesterday and I ended up using it all day.
    Yeah, I saw it pop up when looking at the pics.  Still wish I could have found a way to make it over :(

anyway, just sprayed a coat of clear on this and it looked terrible.  You could just see the flame making a reappearance through the gold and it looked patchy.   So I walk away for a bit to consider if I need more gold.

When I come back it looks totally solid again!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    Hows it looking?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Far away.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still a way off done but I decided to put some parts on.  It's cured enough for handling, but too soon for buffing.

anyway, I just wanted to do a test fit. I wired the neck pick straight to the jack.

The good - I have not levelled the frets yet, but it plays relatively buzz free with a 1.5mm action and sounds pretty good 

I also drilled if for a tune-o-matic.  The thought being i always have it as a back up plan and the holes will be covered by any alternative bridge choices.  it won;t have the one in the pic, but a more vintage correct ABR-1

the bad- I somehow messed up the tuner holes... only slightly but on more than one.  It's driving me crazy so I am going to plug and re-drill them... I think they are all close enough that it will be well hidden by the bushings

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

That is awesome...    Love it..

I was talking about the LP Tribute model to someone else the other day ..  This one

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Tribute-1952.aspx

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    WezV said:
    Far away.
    It's come closer ...
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    Far away.
    It's come closer ...
    :)
    Or I have.  I was in Krakow when I typed that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:i

the bad- I somehow messed up the tuner holes... only slightly but on more than one.  It's driving me crazy so I am going to plug and re-drill them... I think they are all close enough that it will be well hidden by the bushings

I know exactly how you feel wez and I've done the same as it does drive you nuts
    They've only got to be out by a smidge 

Still looks cool and great work

I've got an original 60's bigsby for a
     Goldtop build using original 56 pups, I love these goldtops maybe more than a burst
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure there is much logic to an old bigsby, they used the original castings for a very long time.  Not sure if they still do.

i think the oldest one I have used was a bigsby palm pedal.  Really not sure how old it was, but likely older than me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Not sure there is much logic to an old bigsby, they used the original castings for a very long time.  Not sure if they still do.

i think the oldest one I have used was a bigsby palm pedal.  Really not sure how old it was, but likely older than me
    I like the look of the old ones with the 3 screw holes in the tailpiece, nothing more, if i had the money I'd have a fixed arm just for looks alone, they look more elegant to me

That's enough rubbish from me crack on love the goldtops, did you use stock mojo p90's, I'm lazy and can't remember
    I love his p90's
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I get it, I wouldn't throw an old bigsby out and it might tempt me into a period correct build.  They just happen to be one of those parts that hasn't changed much.

i keep thinking about a proper bigsby build.
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I wasn't that bothered until I strung one up recently, now I'm hooked
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    WezV said:

I don't mean a build with a bigsby tailpiece, I mean a bigsby guitar.   If I had some big slabs of Birdseye maple I would have done it already :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    WezV said:

I don't mean a build with a bigsby tailpiece, I mean a bigsby guitar.   If I had some big slabs of Birdseye maple I would have done it already :)
    Oh now that would be great, love to see that, isn't a Lp ripped off a bigsby, I don't know anything about how they're made 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    There are similarities with Gibson and fender, but they are not really like either

The Merle Travis one is a maple neck through with maple wings, fully chambered from the back
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Ive just come across this thread! Somehow missed it. Awesome work man! Always in awe of such builds.