Ebay Tossers

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I read the tread twice to make sure no-one had done it - couldn't believe it myself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    WezV said:
    I read the tread twice to make sure no-one had done it - couldn't believe it myself
    I suppose you're going to want to cancel the joke now?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    thebreeze said:
    WezV said:
    I suppose you're going to want to cancel the joke now?
    It wasn't him. It was his 3 year old

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Haha - I've had this before, one example was a guy who bought a PRS off of me for £950.  Said his 14 year old son had bought it on his account and said he's ordered his son to sell all his guitars to pay off the amount.  Of course, he hadn't actually paid for the guitar yet, said to give him a week.  

I gave him the week, he didn't respond so I filed a claim for non-payment, as expected he said fuck all and the transaction was cancelled.

I have had the "oh my young son hit the buy it now button" before as well.  Just be honest and say "Thought I had more than I do in the kitty, sorry about that!" rather than blaming your offspring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I've had this before but not with music gear, I think it was it was for an old pair of trainers! Seems to be the common excuse for flaky cunts changing their mind, "oh my 4 year old son pressed buy it now by accident...." yeah right!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Arktik83 said:
    Haha - I've had this before, one example was a guy who bought a PRS off of me for £950.  Said his 14 year old son had bought it on his account and said he's ordered his son to sell all his guitars to pay off the amount.  Of course, he hadn't actually paid for the guitar yet, said to give him a week.  

I gave him the week, he didn't respond so I filed a claim for non-payment, as expected he said fuck all and the transaction was cancelled.

I have had the "oh my young son hit the buy it now button" before as well.  Just be honest and say "Thought I had more than I do in the kitty, sorry about that!" rather than blaming your offspring.
    I blame my daughter for nearly everything. Lack of money, lack of fun, the crushing realisation that you're stuck in a cycle of paying bills until you die of boredom... The usual sort of thing. She's never clicked my buy it now button though. 

She did once buy an expansion for Minecraft on my Xbox live account for 57p. I was livid.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited July 2017
    I had that last week. Had an expensive Lego kit on and someone with decent feedback went with Buy It Now. PayPal payment came through straight away. I was at home so was just about to box it up and head to the Post Office when I got an email from eBay saying they had removed the entire listing and that I wasn't to send the item as it was a fraudulent purchase. Same situation, guy reckons his kid had bought it on his account but don't you have to sign in to PayPal to complete the payment?

So because they had removed the listing I couldn't relist, I had to start again and reload all the photos and blurb. Pain in the arse. I still have the item and eBay have not taken the money back out of my PayPal which they said they would sort out.

eBay used to be fun.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    DiscoStu said:
    I had that last week. Had an expensive Lego kit on and someone with decent feedback went with Buy It Now. PayPal payment came through straight away. I was at home so was just about to box it up and head to the Post Office when I got an email from eBay saying they had removed the entire listing and that I wasn't to send the item as it was a fraudulent purchase. Same situation, guy reckons his kid had bought it on his account but don't you have to sign in to PayPal to complete the payment?

So because they had removed the listing I couldn't relist, I had to start again and reload all the photos and blurb. Pain in the arse. I still have the item and eBay have not taken the money back out of my PayPal which they said they would sort out.

eBay used to be fun.
    Do you want to trade it for a squeaky wah?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    havnt bothered selling anything on ebay for a while but gumtree is even flakier. Guy calls me a couple of times to agree a price, i accept, he tells me he is leaving now and should be with me in 40 minutes. Now my address isnt listed so i wait for a call or text asking for my address. Nothing. at what stage did he decide not to buy it? 
    Another one wants to buy a little amp i had for £35, asked if id accept 30, yeah ok no problem, but could  i hold it for him for 6 weeks as he doesnt start work until then.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    An idiot just BIN my FCB1010 pedal and then remained silent ever since. I opened up a dispute and he kept silent so I ended up relisting it.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    havnt bothered selling anything on ebay for a while but gumtree is even flakier. Guy calls me a couple of times to agree a price, i accept, he tells me he is leaving now and should be with me in 40 minutes. Now my address isnt listed so i wait for a call or text asking for my address. Nothing. at what stage did he decide not to buy it? 
    I've had the same on FreeCycle. Email exchange, someone agrees to come and collect, say they are on their way, then nothing. Had this twice for the same item by different people (dining table and 4 chairs). Responses to follow up texts were met with radio silence or 'sorry, the van broke down on the way'.

99% of people are idiots. In the end the furniture went in the skip. I've got no tolerance for time wasters.
  • ac30manac30man Frets: 478
    edited July 2017
    i would have sent him it and told him he would have to get his kid to relist it as a punishment. I try to stay off ebay as much as possible due to being messed around.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I would never sell anything of any value on ebay nowadays, it's just a headache. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28190
    mellowsun said:

99% of people are idiots. In the end the furniture went in the skip. I've got no tolerance for time wasters.
    Skips are excellent for getting rid of stuff. On the one hand people love stealing out of them, and on the other hand anything they don't steal gets taken away anyway.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    ICBM said:
    Ebay. Why bother?
    What are the alternatives?  

Sometimes things dont shift here, which is fair enough.  I advertise things on a local music forum but that gets very, very little traffic.  I haven't had much luck on my local Gumtree either and I'm not on Facebook and won't go on it to sell gear.  
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I think a lot of those are people like the buying process but not the paying bit. I used to know a guy like this before eBay  existed where he'd be shopping for a bicycle and get the shop down to a really silly price. This could take months and when they excepted he would say no he didn't want it . Said pricks are still around us in digital world :(

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited July 2017
    Had one today. 
    Really interested in a trade, send me more pics of your guitar. 
    Pics sent. Really like it. 
    I'll sent you some of mine. 
    Pics received. Then, literally two mins later - 
    Ive played my guitar again and I don't want to let it go!! 
    Don't bother me and waste my time if you don't want to let it go!!! 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I have had some success on Reverb. two guitars sold as straight sales without any offers. No hassle with payment and used UPS to ship.
    One went to Prague in a few days.
    Having said that I am getting pretty browned off with selling stuff especially some of the offers on Gumtree.

Things like:
    'That sounds a bit complicated but I would take it off your hands for half of what you are looking'

'I know my Fenders - are you sure that is a Deluxe?'

'My mate bought one for £X so I would like to buy yours for the same'

I have one guitar to sell and then I hope that will be it. (Apart from replacing the one I am selling with a cheaper version and a partscaster project)

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sporky said:
    Skips are excellent for getting rid of stuff. 
    Particularly if it's someone else's skip :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    the weirdest trade i have been offer thus far was a Vintage AFD i had listed , some chap asked if i would trade for an airgun 
    I have been offered variously in trade 
    1) A Steam Iron
    2) A grandfather clock with no pendulum!
    3)A Go Kart 
    4) A night with the Mrs ............only joking on that one 
      All from Gumtree but it really does beggar belief sometimes !
    I always reply by saying my surname  isn't Steptoe but I think most are too young to get it !