Hi, my name is Jack, and I have a problem...

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited July 2017 in Guitar
I just can't stop buying cheap/budget guitars.

If I stopped buying them, I'd probably be able to buy a couple of real special ones, but some of the cool offerings you can get for £200-400 these days is stonking. I'm running out of space, because there's so much cool stuff out there.

Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models seem to be the biggest culprit, so many great looking and playing models for low money - right now I'm resisting the urge to buy the Aztec Gold one on eBay, I already have three Strats, I don't need it, but that colour and quality, plus there's a lovely VM Cabronita very well priced at the moment too...

I should get off the internet.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    You're not the only one man.

For me, it's the £400-600 bracket, especially Ibanez, LTD and similar.

I've just put a deposit on a 7 string which is the Gemini twin to my 6 string Iron Label and I get that on August 9th.
    I've already seen the Ibanez I'm buying AFTER that............that's like over 4 weeks away and I've already mentally spent the money.
    I've got 5 electrics, 6 if you include the new 7 string and I'm still looking at more 'RG's' even though I'll own two soon and despite my Strat being an American Pro, I still want another Strat just to fit the EMG Gilmour loaded scratchplate into!

It never ends.

I've just given up fighting it now and admitted that I'm addicted to having lots of guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Alnico said:

I've just put a deposit on a 7 string which is the Gemini twin to my 6 string Iron Label and I get that on August 9th.
    I've already seen the Ibanez I'm buying AFTER that............that's like over 4 weeks away and I've already mentally spent the money.
    I've got 5 electrics, 6 if you include the new 7 string and I'm still looking at more 'RG's' even though I'll own two soon and despite my Strat being an American Pro, I still want another Strat just to fit the EMG Gilmour loaded scratchplate into!

It never ends.

I've just given up fighting it now and admitted that I'm addicted to having lots of guitars.
    I feel ya, but there are a couple of high end guitars I would like to buy, but I can't because as soon as I get a bit of the money a side, something cool pops up for under £500 and I can't resist.

There's even a few lovely guitars in the classifieds here that I'm having to resist, like the PRS SE One and the Goldburst LTD. I know I don't need them, but they're so damn cool for the money.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    You probably need to meet @HarrySeven....
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I personally dont see the point in buying lots of cheapies. However it's your money and as long as you pay bills and support any dependents, it's not a problem. The only problem is if you make it a problem. I've got 4 electrics, 3 basses and an acoustic. Most of those are around the £1k mark and that's my limit. 

So IMHO keep buying them, but if you really want a high end guitar then buying cheapies wont make you happy. 

Jack_ said:
    Alnico said:

It never ends.

I feel ya, but there are a couple of high end guitars I would like to buy, but I can't because as soon as I get a bit of the money a side, something cool pops up for under £500 and I can't resist.

There's even a few lovely guitars in the classifieds here that I'm having to resist, like the PRS SE One and the Goldburst LTD. I know I don't need them, but they're so damn cool for the money.
    Totally me too.

500 is the danger zone for me. As soon as my savings reach that, even though I could make it 1,000 in another month I just can't resist so many guitars in the 400-600 bracket.

The thing is a LOT of the guitars from that bracket I've bought have been reduced from above that price *into* that price bracket and man, do I like a deal!

Reduced from £800 to £549,....only 1 left in stock..........?

MINE !!!

I MUST have it before someone else buys it.
    It just becomes a mission for me and I turn into Gollum.

I had to wait a week to put the deposit down on that 7 string. Andertons only had one left. I was checking that page every half an hour for a week, it COMPLETELY took me over and when I rang yesterday morning and got it put away for me I was like a fucking 5-year-old.
    Ok so It's my only 7 string but the thing about there only being 1 left and it's a discontinued model........

I know I'm addicted to this but like most drugs, it's just so much fun.

I can't help it, guitars are like art to me and I love seeing a wall full of them.
    I do play them all as well though so I can justify owning them, but where this will stop I have no idea.

We've run out of space twice already so I just moved stuff around to make more space.

I don't want help.
    I'm happy being mad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Jack_ said:
    Alnico said:

It never ends.

You know you have any that Goldburst ltd YOU NEED IT 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    You probably need to meet @HarrySeven....
    Wouldn't that exacerbate the condition?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I'm totally in this club as well, for exactly the same reasons stated above, the "budget" end of the market is so damn good these days its incredibly hard to resist, actually id probably have bought a couple more by now but my wife has insisted I stop soon, and I keep, like you guys ogling higher end guitars.

There is something about some of the new high-end strats that I really love, with the soft burst finishes, and also the Green 2017 Les Paul classic.

I'd need to save for either, so I've resisted guitars I've tried like...

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster.
    Gretsch Streamliner, in red (SUPERB guitars).
    Various pretty Epiphones, including the Blueshawk

and of all things I REALLY REALLY want to try a Chapman CAP10 America...

I also really want a classic vibe Strat to go with my CV tele. I actually have a Bullet Strat I keep in my car (I've got a Vox amplug and it lets me use my car as an amp!)

The irony is, I am really not a great guitarist at all, like you guys I just love the things, the way they look, how they feel.  They are like little wooden women, with pickups.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Hi Jack <arbitrary clapping> ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I'm kind of there but with self builds ,
    Always eyeing up necks & bodies for that next build...
    Whatever you do, don't look at THIS !!!

I want that so badly it actually hurts.
    I might really try this time and see if i can get that far past the magical £500 figure to save up the £815 it costs.
    I think the best thing is to go to Doug and give him the 500 and say
    "Here, look after this, I'll be back in a few weeks".

LOL.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    I love those red pickup covers.

In a similar vein on the £500 brackets, this is the super strat that keeps calling my name https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/CAP10-AMERICA/solid-body-electric-guitars/chapman-cap-10-america-guitar-in-red-burst
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited July 2017
    slacker said:
    I personally dont see the point in buying lots of cheapies. However it's your money and as long as you pay bills and support any dependents, it's not a problem. The only problem is if you make it a problem. I've got 4 electrics, 3 basses and an acoustic. Most of those are around the £1k mark and that's my limit. 

So IMHO keep buying them, but if you really want a high end guitar then buying cheapies wont make you happy. 

TBH I would say these days a 400 is probably just st as good as a 1000 guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711

Jack_ said:

If I stopped buying them, I'd probably be able to buy a couple of real special ones, but some of the cool offerings you can get for £200-400 these days is stonking. I'm running out of space, because there's so much cool stuff out there.

Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models seem to be the biggest culprit, so many great looking and playing models for low money - right now I'm resisting the urge to buy the Aztec Gold one on eBay, I already have three Strats, I don't need it, but that colour and quality, plus there's a lovely VM Cabronita very well priced at the moment too...

Jack_ said:

If your happy that's all that matters.

i recently bought what I would call a cheap guitar ( a Gretsch electromatic semi acoustic) just for the colour of if. But I'll tell what, it's a lovely guitar and it does punch above its weight. 

Alnico said:

In a similar vein on the £500 brackets, this is the super strat that keeps calling my name https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/CAP10-AMERICA/solid-body-electric-guitars/chapman-cap-10-america-guitar-in-red-burst
    That looks nice especially for the cost!
    I like the pun in it's title.........Cap-10 America.
    LOL
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

That looks nice especially for the cost!
    I like the pun in it's title.........Cap-10 America.
    LOL
    Yeah lets hope Disney don't find out, they will have Chapper's legs broken.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I was in there too, at the £400 -£500 mark. I have a couple of amazing strats and an awesome tele. To stop myself I am commissioning a couple of builds. Way more money but I pay for them in stages...so that kinda works for me!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I'd always, always prefer to have one or two killer guitars that I knew inside out than a whole bunch of guitars that had to get rotated around. 

I guess I'm just not into guitars as collectors items. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    All I ever wanted was a Telecaster, a Les Paul, and a Precision bass, which I have. I've also got a MIJ Squier Strat and a Kemper. This is more than enough guitar stuff for me, although I wouldn't mind a J-45, 335 & SG with P90's if I came into a bit of money 

PS I would upgrade the Tele too if something better came along  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I'd always, always prefer to have one or two killer guitars that I knew inside out than a whole bunch of guitars that had to get rotated around. A 
    I tend to agree with this. I've had a ridiculous number of guitars lying around the house in the past that don't even get rotated.

I've started the consolidation process though and four have gone this year. Another two will be sold soon hopefully.

Previously known as stevebrum