Move over Dumble - introducing the £80,000 Vox

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
https://reverb.com/item/5902739-vox-george-harrison-sergeant-pepper-ul730-amplifier

I half expected to see a certain Denmark Street vendor, but apparently Norwich
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Also played through by Bonehead from Oasis.

Where do I sign?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Bear in mind it's a hybrid amp - how much would it be worth if it was all valve?!

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    The optional speakers are a bargain at £7k ....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I bought one of those about 10 years ago, fully flightcased in excellent condition - £3000

Rob
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Bear in mind it's a hybrid amp - how much would it be worth if it was all valve?!

:)
    Probably less what with the fuss about everything germanium these days.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Had it's bigger brother the 7120 in for repair a little while ago, (4xKT88), sounded awful, very sterile, like a PA amp.
    But I guess with SS front end and UL output tx its hardly surprising.
    But they give that classic mid-period Beatles DI'd fuzztone sound ;). As far as I remember Paperback Writer was recorded with the 7120, which is why it's amusing to hear people try to get it with an AC30 and wonder why they can't...

Listening to the remastered Sgt. Pepper is amazing - the clarity on the guitar sounds is really improved, and you can hear that 730 perfectly. Great sound, although almost no modern guitarist would use it.

They only bettered it by directly overdriving the mixing desk on Revolution :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I can see the value in this amp. If it was owned and used by a Beatle then it's much more than an amp. A dumble...... it's just an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    shaunm said:
    I can see the value in this amp. If it was owned and used by a Beatle then it's much more than an amp.
    It's even more than that, if it was used on arguably the Beatles' (or any band's) most important album - it's one of the most iconic pieces of equipment ever recorded.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Good point IC, it's interesting that both channels on the 7120 have a boost slide switch, which actually was more of a classic fuzz box sound ( like the two transistor ones we used to build in our youth!)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    ICBM said:
    shaunm said:
    I can see the value in this amp. If it was owned and used by a Beatle then it's much more than an amp.
    It's even more than that, if it was used on arguably the Beatles' (or any band's) most important album - it's one of the most iconic pieces of equipment ever recorded.
    I really hate that fake importance. It was used on a record that sold well. Big deal. Its just an amp. 90k? ridiculous.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    ICBM said:
    shaunm said:
    I really hate that fake importance. It was used on a record that sold well. Big deal. Its just an amp. 90k? ridiculous.
    That could be said of any historical artefact. It's the association people are paying for. A golden roman coin is not just some piece of gold and valued the same as a Liz Duke sovereign. It's history ads a value. 

Beatles fan or not an amp used on the greatest albums of all time by the most important pop band of all time makes it a collectors item and adds value. The amp I own is just an amp, this amp is part of history.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited July 2017
    We'll hopefully get to find out it goes for, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's bought by someone who'll never switch it on / doesn't play?

I guess in this case, it's an interesting dichotomy of great history and middling amp.

It will be a sad day if it ever comes up for sale, but with the combination of its history and the lore of the instrument itself, I suspect Macca's lefty Burst would / will eventually break all records 
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    SunDevil said:
     I suspect Macca's lefty Burst would / will eventually break all records 
    Which one? ;-)

Back to the amp... I don't get the price, its daft. There are  more of these around than folks realise - Barnie used to use one for the early Joy Division stuff because they were cheap and loud back then. They weren't "specially made" for the Beatles - thats BS - however they were *very* expensive and a commercial flop, so there aren't as common as an AC30 but there are some about.

I'd love one - I think the sound is epic. Yes, its harsh and unforgiving, but used in a mix in the right way it stands out - you won't be using one for those cliched blooz riffs with your CS Strat. ;-) There used to be a box called the Magical Mystery Tour or something that got into the sonic ballpark that I *really* fancied owning... I doubt many others would though!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Found the box I was whittering about... its based on the Defiant rather than the 7-series heads.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4783
    edited July 2017
    Lumpy's Lemon Drop is a 7 series pedal, it's pretty decent as well as cheap, beautifully made also. The Skreddy Screwdriver can cop that tone as well, I only realised recently that Barney used the 7 series on JD records and when I found out I was like durrrrrrrr, of course he does it's really obvious now!!

The Lumpys is also ace for Zep II tones..... for obvious reasons.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.