The Discardocaster - NGD Part I, and onto Part II

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited August 2017 in Guitar
Following on from my previous thread, I have decided to build a Tele/Esquire.

The brief is to use old/discarded/used parts to make up a sort of relic. Possibly on the cheap, but mostly I'm interested to see what I can come up with if I stick to old and used parts. 

I will document it here here and probably keep going modding it and swapping out bits and pieces as time goes by.

Ultimately I want to try and get version 1 done in time for the Jam so people can try it out and see what a partscaster is like when done on the cheap (i.e. Not new parts)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    So far, @SteveRobinson has kindly offered me an old Esquire pickguard - which is gratefully received and will be a great start.

Also now have secured a Mojo Esquire pickup from @impmann so it's looking like it will be an Esquire in the first instance!!

I have a separate thread in £parts, but if you've got anything I might find interesting for this build please do let me know ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    I am tempted to steal this idea but do a bass guitar version. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I am tempted to steal this idea but do a bass guitar version. :)
    Do it!!! That would be great to compare and contrast ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Updated the parts request thread.

Mostly it's a body and neck that I need. I saw a used Baja body on eBay for not too much money, but I think they are poly so might not match up to the relic brief..
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
     When I go back into the workshop Monday I'll have a look to see if I've got a telecaster body  and neck you can have very  cheap. I know I have just need to dig them out,  if that's of any interest to you.Bridgehouse said:

Mostly it's a body and neck that I need. I saw a used Baja body on eBay for not too much money, but I think they are poly so might not match up to the relic brief..

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
     When I go back into the workshop Monday I'll have a look to see if I've got a telecaster body  and neck you can have very  cheap. I know I have just need to dig them out,  if that's of any interest to you.Bridgehouse said:

Absolutely would be of interest @GSPBASSES  - let me know what you can dig out!!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I got some old strings you can have. They're from a Gibson LP, so got great pedigree. Less than 6 months use. I can relic them more for you if you want, but i suggest they dont need overdoing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    I got some old strings you can have. They're from a Gibson LP, so got great pedigree. Less than 6 months use. I can relic them more for you if you want, but i suggest they dont need overdoing.
    Strings from a Les Paul?? No thanks - they've been contaminated
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well well. I made a totally rash off the cuff eBay purchase this morning just for a laugh. It's used and was a partscaster before so it still counts. And it was cheapo. All good I think..

And before you ask, it's a copy of the 1949 Esquire prototype..so it should be an interesting final result.

It has a light tru oil finish - when it appears I shall either relic it as is, or shoot a bit of butterscotch on it and relic that...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Nice bit of tort!
    Gagaryn said:
    Nice bit of tort!
    Thanks! I might have to go black strat knobs to show it off a bit. Don't think silver tele knobs will work..
    And it's now turned into a two body job as I will do a proper trad tele body to mix and match. Basically I'm building a telecaster Meccano set. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I've got some locking tuners and probably a solderless Telecaster loom if they are of any use? Not sure, but I might have a bridge. Can't remember if I cleared it out..
    ellwood said:
    I've got some locking tuners and probably a solderless Telecaster loom if they are of any use? Not sure, but I might have a bridge. Can't remember if I cleared it out..
    I may be interested in the locking tuners - let me get a neck and see what the fit is...!
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    ellwood said:
    I may be interested in the locking tuners - let me get a neck and see what the fit is...!
    No worries - just let me know
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    And before you ask, it's a copy of the 1949 Esquire prototype..so it should be an interesting final result.

It has a light tru oil finish - when it appears I shall either relic it as is, or shoot a bit of butterscotch on it and relic that...
    dirty boy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom