I am on Linux!

What's Hot
Wicked! Found time today to backup my files from the struggling Win XP laptop and managed to get a Linux Mint DVD burned. So, I'm now using a clean install of it and reasonably impressed thus far. Thanks monquixote for the OS tip.

I also took the chance to physically clean the laptop getting some dust out of the fan and the crumbs and filth from under the keyboard. Sadly, I broke 7 keys in the process. I can replace them for £3.50 a piece from ebay!!!

On the upside, I get to tweak nipples more often ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Can't you replace the whole keyboard unit? quite often the whole thing is removable seperately from the rest, and you might get a bulk discount by buyin all the keys :D

Also, welcome to the world of Linux ... now it's time to play with making it look awesomes :D There's all sorts of fun you can have with different desktop setups or window managers or all sorts of things.

Well done on dedusting... definitely a good plan!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ta. A new keyboard is hard to find other than in the US. But that might be a good option.

I'm not going to get too caught up in customising my desktop. The standard one is fine, but I will be getting some nice software dev tools on here fairly soon.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Nice one. 

A modern distro like Mint is a great upgrade from XP or Vista.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    Well done, Rich - welcome to the new world :)

By the way, if you want to experience a truly fast and responsive desktop once you've got the hang of everything, try installing XFCE. It takes a little while to figure out how to configure the cooler bits like transparency, but jeez...it makes you realise how much lag gets introduced by having all the fancy little animations here and there.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    ...and I’ll bet he’s not still using it now @roundthebend :smile: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Is it playing nicely with your wireless card?  I've had horrible issues in the past trying resurrect older laptops on Linux because of poor wireless NIC support...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Emp_Fab said:
    ...and I’ll bet he’s not still using it now @roundthebend :smile: 
    I missed this, sorry. You're right. I think I got a new laptop through work so the Linux one never got used after that. My main machine now is a MacBook Pro so it's a kind of Linux on there, right?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited February 2019
    Not really. What you’re using is a user-friendly operating system! :lol: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    MrBump said:
    Is it playing nicely with your wireless card?  I've had horrible issues in the past trying resurrect older laptops on Linux because of poor wireless NIC support...
    That situation has improved drastically in recent years.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2019
    does the browser option allow for all websites though?? My partner loves her Thinkpad T42 with XP3 on it but slowly the Browser options are now getting lesser and lesser, and reduced functionality and incessant bullying to switch to another OS form the big players...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    does the browser option allow for all websites though?? My partner loves her Thinkpad T42 with XP3 on it but slowly the Browser options are now getting lesser and lesser, and reduced functionality and incessant bullying to switch to another OS form the big players...
    There is a staggering selection of browsers, including Google Chrome, that can be installed on most Linux distros.

TBH, if I didn't work professionally with Windows I'd be tempted to switch myself.  Spotify works on Linux as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...