Help identifying strat (NGD)

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
Hi guys, I've recently picked this up and as far as I can make out it's an American Series double fat. Serial dates it to 2004, however pocket and neck markings date it to 2005 and it was my understanding that this model was not made in that year. Any more info on this model?

S1 switching with Cobra and Sidewinder pickups. 

Anyways it's quite unusual and a bit of a departure from me given that I usually go for single coil and trem strats, but there's something oddly comforting about being able to get fat tones out of a familiar neck and body. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    That's clearly what it is - definitely genuine. It must have just been assembled after the production run had officially ended - possibly as a custom order, the fact that it's a hardtail may make that more likely.

Beautiful colour… although I'd probably prefer a pearl pickguard - maybe black pearl if white would be too cheesy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    don't see any issues with it - yes 2004 serial number and 2005 neck dates - I've said many times, that Fender don't actually date a guitar as such, instead they date the components and many times you get a cross over between year end and the start of a year - Many would indicate this as a 2004 guitar based on serial number but either way it is not an issue - All genuine so no issues
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited July 2017
    The serial number and date stamp mismatch is perfectly normal for Fenders. (My factory fretless Precision Bass has a late 1978 headstock serial number and an early 1979 date stamp in the pickup rout.)

The necks are manufactured in batches then stored in one parts bin. They are removed from the bin randomly - not in serial number order.

Likewise, the bodies are shaped and painted in batches then stored in another parts bin. 

The HSH routing is common to numerous American Stratocaster models. Only when the pickguard and electronics assembly was added did your guitar assume its identity as a Double Fat.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Good to know, thanks for the input guys. Colour wise, this looks like electric blue, am I correct?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Good to know, thanks for the input guys. Colour wise, this looks like electric blue, am I correct?
    i thought it was gold

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Chrome Blue maybe I think?
    Chrome Blue maybe I think?
    DING DING DING!

Fender serial search returned this: AM SRS STRAT HH HT RW CHB and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what CHB means. I guess American Series Stratocaster Humbucker Humbucker Hardtail Rosewood Chrome Blue makes sense now! The blue was actually a genuine pain to photograph and I still think the pictures do not accurately represent the colour which goes from a dark hue to something light and metallic depending on the light.
    On further research, I was able to land on this Italian page:

http://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-stratocaster-hh.html

Interesting take aways: the run actually went from 2003-2006, and until 2005 available in Chrome Blue colour code 795. Hardtail model number 011-7130-(Clour Code #) available until 2005.

hh.jpg

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    a bit of research and looks like you have what you need now - enjoy playing it