Is Windows 10 actually... fine?

What's Hot
Upgraded my Windows 7 comp to Windows 10 at the weekend. I tend to stick to the tried and true OS's, because there's nothing worse than having to go scrambling for updated drivers, plugin security authorizations etc. But, I'm between projects so I thought it was probably worth doing now.

My first surprise was that the free upgrade still works. I thought it was a limited time offer, and it's a year since I last saw the prompt asking me to upgrade. But if you go to the MS website and do the Windows 10 upgrade option, it works.

My second surprise was when I loaded a complex mix which was pushing the limits of what the computer could cope with, particularly with the first CPU core occasionally spiking into the red, it loaded quicker and played back with a lower CPU load - it was like the other cores were being more effectively utilised.

This pleases me.

Plus the PC starts and turns off much quicker.

Maybe my nightmares from the XP -> Vista transition days can be put to rest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Vista was a pig. Windows 10 is much better, almost quite good. That said, I won't be switching away from OSX/Linux any time soon :)

R.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited July 2017
    I have no problems with Windows 10. Also, it works fine with my DAW (Reaper).

tbh. I had no problems with Vista either, except the computer it was on had a CPU that wasn't powerful enough and the 32 bit system didn't support enough memory for some modern VSTis.
    It's not a competition.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Just be careful with Win 10 updates, as a failed update can put your system into an endless loop of failed update install, reverting changes and rebooting etc. 
    Although you can't disable update in Win 10 you can tell it your on a metered connection, then it won't download them unless you tell it to. 
    Other than the above it's an OK operating system. It is essentially free in as much as you can install it without activating and it will run quite happy with an activate windows message in the bottom right corner. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Just be careful with Win 10 updates, as a failed update can put your system into an endless loop of failed update install, reverting changes and rebooting etc. 
    Although you can't disable update in Win 10 you can tell it your on a metered connection, then it won't download them unless you tell it to. 
    Other than the above it's an OK operating system. It is essentially free in as much as you can install it without activating and it will run quite happy with an activate windows message in the bottom right corner. 

I have a Windows 7 machine at work that does that so it's not just a 10 thing.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28179
    I like 10 on my laptop that came with it. I like 7 on everything else. My previous laptop and my desktop didn't like WIn10 - the laptop ran very hot and slow and ran the battery down at double normal rate, and the desktop just wouldn't boot (but did roll back OK).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Danny1969 said:

I have a Windows 7 machine at work that does that so it's not just a 10 thing.
    No indeed not, with 7 though you can force safemode if you need to and disable Win updates if you want to. With 10 it's a lot harder to sort a boot loop out
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Never had anything like that at all. Windows 10 has been lovely to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I've not had any issues either- I like it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    I was hesitant. Having just bought a new PC, I was going to run it with Win7 but decided to get 10 installed on the ssd as it came with it. I haven't deleted it so far. To be honest, it's works very similar to 7. Most of the commands are in the same place, albeit hidden under a crappy GUI, so I didn't have to re-learn. Just need to take some time to switch off all the Microsoft crap, (notifications, why? I already know what's going on; pin to start; Apps! wot, seriously? I don't want the damn things on my phone, I certainly don't want them on my PC). Other than that - it works, it's quick and it's stable.   Driver support has reached that pint where most are available now. Sure, some legacy kit may have issues but hey ho.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The jump from Win 7-10 is easier than 7-8.1 as 10 is more familiar. We deploy it to thousands of users and it's a great OS from that point of view too (MDT and SCCM). I found when I first moved to it at home using early builds, the memory and CPU usage was better on my gaming rig compared to 7 or 8.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    My new build has win 10 on it, just pulled up our untrimmed EP projects which are around 120 tracks of drums (although most muted), 20 tracks of VST guitars plus 4-5 tracks of vocals and everything works perfectly.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Danny1969 said:

You need the Enterprise version to disable updates.  They have a unique pricing model where you actually pay more to stop receiving updates ;)