educate me on telecasters

Ok daughter fancies buying herself a tele when her advance come through. She likes a standarrd config in butterscotch . How are the classiic players , are they as good as the strats ? We are both impressed with my 2012 standard usa strat , is there a tele equivelent. Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get a Baja!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    We are both impressed with my 2012 standard usa strat , is there a tele equivelent. Thoughts?
    Yep, an, er, American standard tele. :))

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/telecaster/american-standard-telecaster-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

They have the strat saddles, though, if that annoys you. I haven't tried them since they got those, so I don't know how much they affect the tone.
  • The Baja is a great guitar but I've only got small hands and found the neck to be a bit of a handful. If I was looking for a mid priced Telecaster I'd be giving the 50's classic with the nitro finish a good looking at. http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid28571/cid671/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-in-white-blonde.asp
  • [quote="Dave_Mc;164356"

.[/quote]

:-). I asked for that I suppose
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2014
    Squier CV50 - several models now.. best bang for your buck in the Squier stable. Also the Cabronita is well cheap and rightly highly praised.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • quick vote for mexican classic series. i have the 60's one in arctic white and its my favourite guitar by a mile. can be had reasonably cheaply
    How very rock and roll
    [quote="Dave_Mc;164356"

.[/quote]

:-). I asked for that I suppose
    Yeah pretty much :)) Although I was being slightly sarcastic, it was a genuine suggestion as well- the spec (by that I mean the style of the guitar, the neck profile etc.) is probably closest to the USA standard strat, so if she likes your strat it's probably one to try.
  • We are going to try a mexican standard at a friends , then I will take her around some shops. The only one she has tried was an orignal 1963 one at her producers studio ! She can"t afford that one ... What I will do is make a llist of variations of the theme .
    Yeah, you pretty much have the vintage spec ones (the reissue types or the mexican classics etc.), the modern spec ones (USA standard and deluxe) and then the ones that sort of blur the lines between the two (MIM standard, classic player etc.). That's the way I always think of it, anyway.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    57Deluxe said:
    Squier CV50 - several models now.. best bang for your buck in the Squier stable. Also the Cabronita is well cheap and rightly highly praised.
    Yep..I agree with @57Deluxe,  great value for money and the necks nice and slim for daintier hands.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I see Baja are well thought of . Sorry what is Baja. I have googled and had a variety of opinions made from them being Baritone , or long scale , or just named after a place called Baja. What is the wisdom here.

She (the daughter) dragged me out last night to North London to she three bands . She was asking after all of the guitars. She liked the SG Standard , but there was no doubt the best sounding was a Tele. It really cut through the mix live. BTW was very impressed with one of the bands called Cortes https://www.facebook.com/cortesband?hc_location=timeline&filter=2 ; She saw them at a placed where she had gigged herself ...
     anyway back to the tele seems she want a "cream" not butterscotch  with rosewood board. So will start looking around  :-)
  • If she wants cream with rosewood, I think the Classic Series 60s is close (though is actually white!) and a very good guitar for the money...

And your question about the Baja -it is the Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Prefer the early MIJs myself then replace the pickups with bareknuckle country boys :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am sure the (usually Brilliant) Fender marketing team are missing a trick here.
    Why are we still waiting for a Classic Player (Or Baja) Telecaster with a Rosewood board and (obviously) a "modern" radius?
    Actually if it were left to me (not advisable) I would deem the Baja body to be a bit too heavy and the Classic Player 60's Tele 12" Radius would get a pine body. I wish they would do it. They have proven  beyond all doubt that they are not afraid of turning out killer products for reasonable money.
    Oh - and a Nitro version as well.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I must admit I have fancied giving a Tele a go for a little while but they always seem so heavy compared to Strats.

Perhaps something to bear in mind for your daughter OP?
  • Skipped said:
    I am sure the (usually Brilliant) Fender marketing team are missing a trick here.
    Why are we still waiting for a Classic Player (Or Baja) Telecaster with a Rosewood board and (obviously) a "modern" radius?
    Actually if it were left to me (not advisable) I would deem the Baja body to be a bit too heavy and the Classic Player 60's Tele 12" Radius would get a pine body. I wish they would do it. They have proven  beyond all doubt that they are not afraid of turning out killer products for reasonable money.
    Oh - and a Nitro version as well.

Agreed.  Why no 60s Classic Player Tele, or 60s Roadworn Tele, but Strat versions of both 50s and 60s.  Doesn't make sense to me, especially with the success of the 60s Squier CV after an initial 50s only version of that.
  • Ok daughter fancies buying herself a tele when her advance come through. She likes a standarrd config in butterscotch . How are the classiic players , are they as good as the strats ? We are both impressed with my 2012 standard usa strat , is there a tele equivelent. Thoughts?
    and there I was, primed to be the comedian and say telecasters are girls guitars and you have done the job for me

:-(
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Custom Shop Nocaster, they don't come much better!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Fuck it, go the whole hog and buy a genuine 50s Blackguard.