My dad's extremely rare, 80s-tastic new guitar:

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited February 2014 in Guitar
This is one he's been after for a LONG time.

That is a Fernandes Brad Gillis signature model, a fairly little-known Japanese superstrat from the mid-80s. If you don't know who Brad Gillis is, check him out - he's awesome. See 2:30 for details, and excuse the clothes and hair.

So yes, this guitar was only made for a couple of years, and some estimates suggest that there were only about 50 ever built. My dad is a big Brad Gillis fan and has wanted one of these guitars for ages - until a few days ago when an eBay alert led him to this example, located in South London. We went to pick it up yesterday and here it is now! It's in pretty good condition (a couple of paint dings but nothing major) and only really needed a new battery in the active gain-boost circuit (which is a hoot) before it worked properly.

It sounds great, it's well set-up, the neck is really nice and the trem is great - it's a copy of the old-style Floyd Rose without fine-tuners (similar to what Guthrie Govan is now using on his Charvel) and it seems to work well - feels really good in use too. The gain boost is a cool feature - as you can see, it includes a second input jack (there's a normal one on the side of the body) and has a trim-pot to adjust the level of distortion - it can get really quite lairy. It's kind of like having a DS-1 or something built into the guitar. The boost sounds pretty good as well!

Most importantly though, dad's pretty chuffed to have finally found one!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Nice one C and if both you and dad attend the next Gearfest, make sure this comes along too!

Great NGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's really cool. Reminds me when I was taking lessons 89/90 and the teacher lent me a Fernandes that looked a lot like that but had a sustainer in at the neck. All I wanted to play at the time were U2 tracks and it was perfect for the whole Joshua Tree thing.  Unfortunately I couldn't afford it and never saw another for years, in fact nobody else had heard of them (in my small circle) and they became something mythical...

• If you bought it from Romford, then it's the one I blabbing about a year or so ago. I nearly had it for myself, but I've already got 3 strats and I decided to mutilate a strat I already have.

It's got a copy of the prototype Floyd too.  According to Brad, the trick is to tune half a step down before tightening the locking nut.

I wish your dad the best with that tasteful specimen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

SSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I is ever so slightly completely jealous

:)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27489
    Nice. And even nicer when it's something that you (or he) have (or has) been tracking down for ages.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If you bought it from Romford, then it's the one I blabbing about a year or so ago. I nearly had it for myself, but I've already got 3 strats and I decided to mutilate a strat I already have.

It's got a copy of the prototype Floyd too.  According to Brad, the trick is to tune half a step down before tightening the locking nut.

I wish your dad the best with that tasteful specimen.
    It was in Bromley but I believe it used to be in Romford.
  • I NEED ONE

Never heard of this player, but he plays like one bad mutha.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Very cool!    Looks like it was worth the wait - I hope he is enjoying it :)
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    That is awesome. Looks like it wants sweep arpeggios all over it with the boost on max!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I NEED ONE

He played in Night Ranger and was in Ozzy's band for a while. Awesome guitarist..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Nice :D
  • BrianCBrianC Frets: 16
    edited February 2014
    Great guitar and a great player as has been said.

I first heard of him when I saw Ozzy on this tour

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited February 2014
    I remember Brad, but then I'm ancient. Awesome 80s guitar, but I really don't like the jack socket, looks like a real afterthought! (I'd still have one though!)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Well done, great catch! 

I bet your dad's chuffed to bits having got hold of something he's wanted for so, so long...

You've just got to call the gain switch above the jack plug the Turbo Boost. Well, it is an 80's machine through and through...
    ;)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    ThePrettyDamned;164451" said:
    I NEED ONE

He was brought in by Ozzy when Randy Rhoads died. Good player and Nightranger are still going with BG
  • I NEED ONE

try this link - Brads one time guitar partner Jeff Watson - who is no slouch either - trading licks with a certain Allan H ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Jeff Watson is perhaps even better, his 8-finger tapping stuff is ridiculous!
  • that night ranger track was on one of the gta vice city radio station  :D

nice guitar btw 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• That gain boost looks exactly like the Alembic one with a different logo. Interesting- never seen something like that (ie on the jackplate) fitted to a production guitar before

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478

It should be OK as it's got a retainer bar (big string tree thingy :) ) as long as that's set at the right height, locking it down shouldn't make it go sharp. That's what it's job is.
    Oh and yes I too remember Brad Gillis, which obviously makes me ancient as well :(
    Happy new "Axe"* day to your Dad.

*I deem this as an acceptable term due to the 80's'ness of the piece in question.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.