BBC salaries published. Oh dear...

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Look on the bright side; today's a good day to bury bad news.  (Government's pension age reviews today.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Dopesick said:
    Jesus Christ is that guy STILL in Casualty? Has he been there from the start?
    He can't afford to leave ... pay in the real NHS is shocking ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    I'm far more disturbed by the fact that Danny Dyer gets paid in the same bracket as the BBC's general counsel Sarah Jones.

Former senior associate from Allen & Ovary -v- bloke who says "fuck off you slags" a lot.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm far more disturbed by the fact that Danny Dyer gets paid in the same bracket as the BBC's general counsel Sarah Jones.

Former senior associate from Allen & Ovary -v- bloke who says "fuck off you slags" a lot.

:-)

East Enders in tough ... the scripts are depressing enough to turn you into an alcoholic ... that's Danny's excuse ...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    I wonder; if they made the soaps a bit less grim and confrontational, would people be nicer?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Fretwired said:

:-)
    Yes but his annual BBC salary is still a bit less than what Hugh Laurie got paid per episode on House.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I couldn't give a fig what they get paid - it's no more or less relevant than what they might pay to buy a show in or get the rights to make something - it's the product. 

Salaries of the execs, yes I get why we'd care about that, but for the content and the creatives, just get on with it. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    peteri said:
    Oh - and £500k for Steve Wright? FFS!
    No wonder he's the size of a house these days!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    The channel has a budget to spend how it sees fit.
    It's going to do what it feels will best serve the future of programming on that channel and therefore the bbc.  If that means keeping Chris Evans and Gary Lineker from going somewhere else then so be it.  That's the business!

So they decide to cut all the salaries by 90%.  All the talent goes elsewhere.  A load of pretenders and wannabes come along, BBC saving a fortune.  One or two are amazing, the best screen personalities ever, so sky and itv come calling.  BBC decides to offer a pay rise to keep them for another year because they make the channel what it is.  They find more great presenters etc and sky keep trying to poach them.  Where do you think we will be in 10 years from that point?  Answer, paying the market dictated rates to the perceived talent and big names.
    You can disagree about who is worth it relative to the others but not the amounts.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

It's sickening that Lineker who earns so much should pontificate about mass immigration and want see social housing going to illegal migrants rather than poor and deserving citizens in this country. Let them eat crisps, seems to be the message from on high. . And to think we pay them this much to preach EU and Left Wing propaganda at us..... Time to stop paying them !!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477

It's sickening that Lineker who earns so much should pontificate about mass immigration and want see social housing going to illegal migrants rather than poor and deserving citizens in this country. Let them eat crisps, seems to be the message from on high. . And to think we pay them this much to preach EU and Left Wing propaganda at us..... Time to stop paying them !!

Daily Mail Comments section is that way -->
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    bingefeller said:
    Let them eat crisps
    Wise words.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Let them eat crisps, seems to be the message from on high.

+wisdom.

Time to stop paying them !!

I haven't owned a telly for a few years, so in a way I'm not. (Though I do own some BBC telly stuff on DVD so maybe I have.)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Dopesick said:
    Jesus Christ is that guy STILL in Casualty? Has he been there from the start?

It's wonder they haven't gotten round to seeing him yet, but what with the Tory cuts to the NHS, it's hardly surprising.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28175

It's sickening that Lineker who earns so much should pontificate about mass immigration and want see social housing going to illegal migrants rather than poor and deserving citizens in this country.

When did he say that?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

Can you point out where

1: Lineker used an official BBC twitter account to do those things; and
    2: Where it says that because he is paid by the state he, as a voter, isn't entitled to his own opinion on political matters?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    A nice show of how public money feeds the rich, when I worked for the BBC the amount of money claimed through expences was nothing short of criminal, you will be happy to know your license money was put to good use supplying film crews with fags, booze and cocain.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Fine, but:

The population has increased and so has the income the BBC receives.

BBC Worldwide was formed in the 1990s and last year it gave the BBC £220 million in 1997 the figure for 1997 was £84 million at 2014 prices.

The BBC also gets around £250 million in grants from the government (partly funds the World Service) which wasn't around in its present form in 1997.

The BBC makes another £100 million a year in royalties.

So the BBC has other revenue streams .

Licence fee revenue is falling so something will have to give. TV is dying as people switch to online services. The BBC should have a subscription-based service via iPlayer. People could buy it overseas and the BBC's revenue would rocket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    Perhaps they need to stop being a biased propaghanda machine.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom