Terrible Meal Out

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I thought I'd share my recent experience of a meal out, so I can get it off my chest & hopefully provide a bit of humour. Apologies in advance for the long post.

Long story cut short Mrs Gubble was invited through her work for a free meal at a local Tandori which is under  new management. We booked and went on Sunday evening.

Upon arrival we were advised it's not a free meal but a pay what you think it's worth. No issue as even if it was free I'd have paid something even if just as a generous tip.

So we sit down and handed a couple of menus. All the usual suspects are on the menu and things are looking good. Guy comes to take the drinks orders, then back to take food orders. At the point we are told that we cannot have anything on the menu and are handed a piece of paper with what's actually on offer - nothing on the actual menu was on offer that night. The piece of paper gives a starter, a choice of two curries (of which I've never heard of before) and a couple of side dishes. We order the starter, one of each of the curries and the side dishes.

Starter arrives. A meat samosa and an onion bahji. Clearly not home made and very much like the ones you get from the cash and carry in bulk.

Main course time. Mrs Gubble's curry can only be described as half a chicken breast (as one piece not diced) in an Uncle Ben's Korma sauce that's been heated up and cooled down a few times so it's very much like a congealed gloop. It was garnished with two glacier cherries(very strange) and (I'm being totally serious here) a Yorkshire Pudding !  Now having spent four years at uni in Bradford I've been to more than my fair share of random curry houses and not once have I ever seen a Yorkshire pudding accompanying a curry. It was a frozen reheated aunt Bessie type one rather than home made.

My curry was also very bizarre, again a single chunk of chicken but with vegetables a tomatoes based sauce and lots of chillies. It can best described as an Italian chicken based dish with many chilies and of course a Yorkshire pudding.

Neither curry tasted good - they were terrible and in the case of Mrs Gubble's main meal I encouraged her not to eat it as it looked worryingly unsafe.

The side dishes were meant to be Bombay Potatoes and Cauliflower Cheese (again why?). I cannot comment on these as they didn't arrive.

Upon leaving I was asked how much I felt I should pay and they looked genuinely shocked when I said zero as it was the worst meal I've ever eaten out.

As we were out the door I could hear one guy saying "I've come out for a curry, you've given me a menu, told me I cannot order anything from it and now you're telling me I can't have a popadom or a naan bread?"

18reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

so you didn't stay for dessert?

I hear it's dry Weetabix with a gherkin on top.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6489
    !! Truly bizarre!

Yorkshire pudding with a curry....!

In these days of Tripadvisor et al, you have to pull out all the stops to keep customers happy, you can't afford a whole evening of unhappy customers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

4reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

In the above pic, note that the image is the "serving suggestion"

From that, I must glean that Iceland are recommending that your breach the sidewall of said Yorkshire pud and decant the curry onto a pile of freshly cooked rice and then eat, discarding the lurid batter pudding to the bin.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sounds like the chef and his team quit ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    gubble said:

Long story cut short Mrs Gubble was invited through her work for a free meal at a local Tandori which is under  new management. We booked and went on Sunday evening.

I think reporting back to Mrs Gubble's work is a good idea! :)

I suppose there might be the odd hiccup with any new management, but it sounds a tad catastrophic...

Actually I think you should have asked them for payment, as food tasting is a challenging profession!

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2017
    gubble said:

Terrible Meal Out
    I thought that was the programme on ITV2 after Take Me Out, where the blokes who didn't get any when they got themselves "a dirt" tried to cop off with the birds who looked OK from 25 yards under flashing lights, but not close-up in a bikini.  

The Turkish version of Take Me Out is called "No larkey, no larty."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A live action remake of the Fawlty Towers Waldorf Salad episode.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    they needed a visit from Michael Winner.............sadly no longer possible RIP
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Guitar_Slinger said:... birds who looked OK from 25 yards under flashing lights, but not close-up in a bikini.  

Good from far, but far from good? 

Body off Baywatch, face off Crimewatch? 

Butter face? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    To be fair, I've eaten at several Pakistani-run places that put glacé cherries in their pilau rice. 

The rest... I got nothing!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    I'm awfully sorry but we are all out of Waldorfs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Cherries? Jeez, I've eaten more than my fair share of curries, but I've never known that one.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Cherries? Jeez, I've eaten more than my fair share of curries, but I've never known that one.

Not just any old cherry - Glacier Cherries, those sugary ones you get in a jar that go on cocktails and cakes. On top of a 'korma' with a Yorkshire pudding on the side.

I wish I'd taken photos now

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe they ordered 200 frozen curries using a smartphone and autocorrect changed it to cherries?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    gubble said:

Not just any old cherry - Glacier Cherries, those sugary ones you get in a jar that go on cocktails and cakes. On top of a 'korma' with a Yorkshire pudding on the side.

I wish I'd taken photos now

I thought Glacier cherries were usually frozen.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    We were in hospitality at Chepstow Races on Friday night and were invited to dollop either cream or strawberry cream (already set out in jugs) onto our cheesecake. 

One was mayonnaise and the other was thousand island dressing. Proper Fawlty Towers stuff. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2017
    ^ ^ lol

What's milder than a Korma?  Chicken Custard!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sounds terrible, I bet that Iceland curry in a Yorkshire pud would have been a better choice.

Maybe the place is a front for something else - you perhaps were lucky to get away.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Sounds like they had a mass jerk-off in the kitchen into yours - Always best never to antagonise the 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>