does anyone else have a love hate relationship with humbuckers?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
In relation to the other thread ....... I'm definitely love/hate with humbuckers. I love a cranked up high gain sound, but for everything else I'm not that keen on HBs. I much prefer the character of SCs and P90s. Every guitar I have even owned with two HBs has left me unsatisfied overall. The split sound is never that good, and the two HBs split and combined is never that good - All just my opinion of course. 

Best for me is HSS with splittable HB, but I think I'd always take SSS over HH if they were the only choices.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited July 2017
    On bass yeah.

The only HB I've found that I really like is the Musicman Stingray - and that's also down to positioning as I don't like it in the place Sandberg put it on their MM/J instruments

Singles just have more punch and cut, less mud. Hard to beat a good Jazz or Precision for my tastes anyway 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The only humbucker sound I can tolerate is both combined, otherwise it's single coils all the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I've been moving more towards single coils recently.  If I could only have one electric it would be my Strat.

It does depend on the humbuckers and the platform they are in though.   Low output vintage ("PAF") style pickups are a lot better than high output "modern" ones.  The platform definitely makes a difference.  A semi will have far more dynamics than something like a Les Paul with the same pickups.

There are different kinds of humbuckers as well.  Gretsch Filtertrons, or proper Fender wide range pickups, or the PRS Starla/Vela unit sound different from PAF style ones.  Most people will be thinking in terms of the PAF or a hotter modern version of it when they read your thread title.

There is the "Strats are thin and weedy" fallacy as well.  I used to think that but it was the crummy amp I had at the time.  I don't recall anyone ever saying that Gilmour sounds thin and weedy - although that might be because they don't want to deal with the wrath of @Gassage
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Not a fan of neck humbuckers. One of my first projects was a neck humbucker that sound great under high gain for riffing and rhythm, like nothing that I'd seen before.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Parody section?

;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Yes, see the other post for my thoughts, but in a nutshell - HB's I find take the character out of my playing.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    God no, humbuckers are fantastic, I like a p90 but only for a bit more mellow stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    A good PAF will chime with the best and be totally articulate until you dig in and let it roar. Too many humbuckers are made for dirt/gainy sounds and seem to loose the very essence of a good pickup. Horses for courses I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I'll say a good paf has some of the nicest clean tones to me
    I was playing a Lp with mojo vintage pafs through a fender dr and it was so bloody clear, even through an 18watt lite it sounded fantastic

The only thing I'm thinking of doing is a strat neck pickup in a Lp dc junior with the normal p90 or split coil paf
    That's one of the only fender sc pickups I like

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    crunchman said:

There is the "Strats are thin and weedy" fallacy as well.  I used to think that but it was the crummy amp I had at the time.  I don't recall anyone ever saying that Gilmour sounds thin and weedy - although that might be because they don't want to deal with the wrath of @Gassage
    Gilmour deliberately uses weak low output pickups so his outboard effects and amps create his sounds, not his pickups.

Anyway 'buckers for me, although I do love a nice single coil in the neck/middle positions.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Get a DGT.... 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Love em! PAF  style though not geet mental. P90? Even better!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24842
    Yes - they aren't really my thing - I think my playing has more character when I play a single-coil guitar. And I have a 'very' nice 335 - so it's not the guitar's fault....
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Humbuckers are for 16 year olds sporting girly hair 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'm a big fan of humbucker clean tones, but then, also a big fan of single coil and P90 cleans.

It just depends on the song, surely?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2591
    tFB Trader
    I am opposite, I struggle with single coils more than humbuckers, I find it really frustrating that with the "standard" pole spacing on SC's the string output is not even.. and then there is the bridge pickup on a strat.......
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    beed84 said:

OK 39 and have short hair do I have to switch to single coils now? :anguished: 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited July 2017
    I can't live without a bridge humbucker in at least one guitar. It's the most versatile sound imo, you can play pretty much anything with a good bridge humbucker and it'll sound good. I don't like them if they're too high output though. Mines 10k with an alnico 4 magnet which is perfect for me.

Neck humbuckers I can take or leave, I generally prefer a P90 there - neck hb is a bit too warm and round for me. P90s are close to being my favourite type overall but just a bit too twangy on the bridge for some of the stuff I play, plus they're noisy. The Bare Knuckle Pig 90 was amazing though, wish I never sold that! Volume all the way up it had the girth of a humbucker but rolled down it did the twangier p90 thing.

As has been said good PAF pickup are pretty versatile. I went for years just playing an LP with BK Mules from blues to metal.
    beed84 said:

I'm neither 16 nor have (much) hair, proof you're wrong.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

beed84 said:

I'm neither 16 nor have (much) hair, proof you're wrong.