Your favourite painting?

What's Hot

Comments

• Isn't that a Circa Survive album cover?

Not a painting as such, but I love drawings/etchings/prints by MC Escher.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a3/Escher's_Relativity.jpg/220px-Escher's_Relativity.jpg

I went to an exhibition of his work recently and loved it, especially as I got to see all his concept drawings and the various iterations of each piece as he worked out how things should fit together. It was great.

My brother has a few Alex Gray prints in his house which are great too. He's probably most famous for doing Tool album art.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    boogieman said:
    You don't really have to understand the artist's motivations, inspirations or intentions to appreciate a piece of art.  Just look at it.  If you like it, you like it.  If you don't, you don't.  You'll find about as much pretension in the lyrics of any number of songs, but that doesn't immediately stop you from enjoying the music.

I'm not saying you need to understand the artist's intentions to appreciate a piece of work,  but some art is obviously nothing but pretension, with little or no talent required. One of my friends has just posted a picture on Instagram of an "art installation" in a gallery in Lille. It consists of 10 pairs of wellington boots arranged in a circle. How is that art? 

I've also heard the argument that anything that provokes a reaction should be considered as art. So if I took a shit on the gallery floor would that be an artistic statement? Although  presumably if Damien Hirst did it, it'd somehow be a masterpiece. Good luck if you can get away with calling this nonsense art. 
    I'd take your point, but add that art is essentially about ideas, and talent isn't necessarily a pre-requisite for having an idea.  Duchamp's urinal was just that - a urinal - but placing it in a totally different context elevates it to being "something else".  In that case, whether the idea is a "good" or "bad" one, is entirely the point of engaging with it.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Isn't that a Circa Survive album cover?

Not a painting as such, but I love drawings/etchings/prints by MC Escher.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a3/Escher's_Relativity.jpg/220px-Escher's_Relativity.jpg

I went to an exhibition of his work recently and loved it, especially as I got to see all his concept drawings and the various iterations of each piece as he worked out how things should fit together. It was great.

My brother has a few Alex Gray prints in his house which are great too. He's probably most famous for doing Tool album art.
    It is.

I'm also a fan of Escher too
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    I couldn't single out just one overall favourite. 

Generally, I am biased against any painting produced with the aid of photographs or a camera obscura. It reduces the preliminary sketching phase to a tracing exercise. I prefer to see evidence of the hand/eye interactions of the individual artist. Hokusai's wood cut prints are a case in point.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Off to the Tate Modern on Sunday, might find a new one.

I like a lot of Dali's paintings, they are so clever and intricate.

I like Dan Monteavaro, we have this one

Image result for dan monteavaro fret
    I'd like another one of his actually, will probably get one for in here.

I like Damien Hirst's pharmaceutical series

Image result for damien hirst pharmaceutical

I like Mark Rothko too.

I don't like a lot of the biblical Italian stuff though, it does nothing for me tbh.

I like sculpture too. We have the Yorkshire Scuplture Park about 40 minutes drive away, and that has some brilliant exhibits. Tony Cragg is on at the moment and his stuff is amazing

Image result for tony cragg
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The Forth Bridge. It's a job for life.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    The Forth Bridge. It's a job for life.

Except it isn't. They finished in 2011 & it isn't due to be repainted till 2031. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-16137688/never-ending-forth-bridge-painting-finishes
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Good thread.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

A few people have mentioned M C Escher - he always sounded like a DJ to me :) - if anyone's never heard of him, he's REALLY worth a look.  Not paintings, but really mind-expanding stuff.

He did the famous drawing of the never-ending staircase, for example.  And loads of clever geometric stuff.

• I love Renoir's luncheon of the boating party mainly for nostalgic reasons. When I was a lad it was on the dining room wall of my uncle and auntie's house; I spent a lot of time staring at it whilst the adult's talked around the dinner table, imagining what was going on and who they might be - brings back warm memories.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Ravenous said:

A few people have mentioned M C Escher - he always sounded like a DJ to me :) - if anyone's never heard of him, he's REALLY worth a look.  Not paintings, but really mind-expanding stuff.

He did the famous drawing of the never-ending staircase, for example.  And loads of clever geometric stuff.

Was there a King Crimson album cover that used the one of his, lizards crawling across a book on a table or something?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Nitefly said:
    Ravenous said:

Was there a King Crimson album cover that used the one of his, lizards crawling across a book on a table or something?
    Mott the Hoople.  ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    It isn't a painting but it is a piece of art.
    This North Korean Propaganda poster:

I absolutely love it- so much so that I've used it as a sound hole label in several guitars and have a 1m wide print of it in our house.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Not necessarily my favourite, as my esoteric fancies vary all the time but I do like this one from Dali

https://www.dalipaintings.com/images/paintings/the-temptation-of-saint-anthony.jpg

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    You can't beat a bit of Hieronymus Bosch. "The Garden of Earthly Delights" is quite a thing to gaze upon. It's a shame that since his death, his family shunned art in favour of dominating the power tool industry :(

Bosch Prints - The Garden of Earthly Delights

You really need to see it close up though!

(Yes, you do see a Celtic Frost Album Cover in there)

;)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    boogieman said:
    Nitefly said:
    Ravenous said:

Mott the Hoople.  ;)
    The very one!  Thank you  =)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    octatonic said:
    It isn't a painting but it is a piece of art.
    This North Korean Propaganda poster:

I absolutely love it- so much so that I've used it as a sound hole label in several guitars and have a 1m wide print of it in our house.

You know, it always amuses me how precious the US get about their flag. I mean if this was a US forum people would be spitting blood and you would have been banned (and possibly shot) for posting that. I sometimes wonder who the world's biggest loonies are!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

I love Renoir's luncheon of the boating party mainly for nostalgic reasons. When I was a lad it was on the dining room wall of my uncle and auntie's house; I spent a lot of time staring at it whilst the adult's talked around the dinner table, imagining what was going on and who they might be - brings back warm memories.  

Clearly hipsters have been around longer than we thought.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom