Suggestions for Euro citybreak in August

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
hmm a few days or a week, with my 13 and 15 year old daughters
Ideally somewhere that has cheap flights, and has affordable nice airbnbs
They moan a bit about heat, like when I took them to Barcelona 2 years ago in August

I thought maybe Norwegian airlines, Amsterdam or Oslo
then I remembered Paris is good 

Any advice please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Berlin, Madrid, Rome
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27480

then I remembered Paris is good 

That's probably the best version of Paris - in your memories.

Today it's very visible armed police, and even more visible "temporary residents" (hopefully that's PC).

If it's for a few days, I'd want to minimise the travel time.  So direct flights from your local airport, or Eurotunnel (lot less hassle with check-in, etc).  Depends what you/they want to do with the time.  Scottish islands for some beautiful scenery (when the clouds lift).  Channel islands - Guernsey - for some peace.  Switzerland?  Krakow's supposed to be interesting?  Or Berlin?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    I'd do Berlin as it is too cold in the winter.
    Rome is quiet too as all the Italians are on holidays.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Vienna
    play every note as if it were your first
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Clarky said:
    Vienna
    Means nothing to me...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Mrs9000 and I have done a few city breaks. My favourites have been...

Verona

Split (we went before Croatia became popular and it was ridiculously cheap, probably a bit more pricey now. Plenty of great excursions available too)

Rome

Barcelona

Copenhagen

St Petersburg (but sorting Russian visas is punishing)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Surely kids want swimming pools and beaches not boring North European cities but not too hot.............ok
    Dona San Sebastien
    Biarritz
    Avignon
    Lake Como or Maggiore
    Lake Constance /Black Forest
    Lake Geneva
    Lake Balaton
    Carinthia ,Austria Villach /Faak am see
    Slovenia 
    Venice
    Porec or Rovinj ( Istria doesn't get that hot unlike Dalmatia)
    Plitovice national Park ( fly to Zagreb and get the train ......superb camping )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Copenhagen ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Huddersfield?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4985
    edited July 2017
    Depends on what the teenagers are into probably, and what they've done before.

Paris is an obvious one. Versailles, a river cruise, the usual tourist stuff. Great for a first trip out of UK as everyone speaks English but likes it if you at least try French. Kids do often like the Catacombs tour though, underground and with real life skeletal remains!

Madrid in August will make Barcelona feel like an igloo. @mags will agree I think?

A lot of the European capitals are good for a quick break (2 days) but no longer for youngsters, as there's not that much for them if they don't dig historical shizz and spending time walking around a lot.

I went to Sweden as a 13 year old (many years ago) and had a fantastic time. Amazing scenery everywhere, friendly locals, quirky small towns with glassblowing centres, stuff like that. If it were me planning this trip, I'd be looking at Scandinavia somewhere probably, but definitely away from the major cities.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Nothing wrong with Dublin. Different enough from the UK but nicely familiar with great food, nice people and a climate you'll love. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    They like shopping a lot, will tolerate some museums
    Not sure they'd appreciate lakes as much at present
    I think it has to be in a big city

Last few hols they wouldn't go in the pool, even when I paid extra to get a private one
    they went in the sea once in a week in Barcelona, even though we were very close to it near the zoo

They are both learning Spanish, eldest is top of the class, but said little in Lanzarote in the spring
    too young to appreciate San Sebastian?
    I assume it's expensive there? we already did a pricey hol this year, so I am trying to not splash out

I only did Berlin just after the wall came down, I assume it's more developed now, it felt like a small town then

no way taking them to Russia for now, too much hassle, and I was not that impressed

I assume Rome is very hot. I think 30C is their absolute max at present

We thought Amsterdam might be nice, and make them worry less about being very tall. I only did 2 days at work there and a boozy evening with colleagues, I assume there is a lot more to see

I can remember liking Oslo

I think 3 days is enough in any normal city,
    I think London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona can sustain interest for longer, not sure if any other European cities can

Switzerland was completely boring when I was there in 1990, not sure if it's livelier now, 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    edited July 2017
    Whitecat said:
    Nothing wrong with Dublin. Different enough from the UK but nicely familiar with great food, nice people and a climate you'll love. 
    they just turned down a trip there
    my Mrs booked a ferry, and a house for 3 nights for her to go and see U2 this weekend , and they said they weren't interested

Sorry to disagree, but personally I agree with the kids, I think Dublin is pretty dull, Manchester has at least twice as much to do. I'd go to Galway any time though (I did months working in Dublin, as well as hols)

btw, I like it around 30C
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Switzerland was completely boring when I was there in 1990...

I was in Saas Fee last year. 'Boring' doesn't even begin to describe it.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Not a fan of Dublin myself either, went once about 7 years ago and wouldn't be in a rush to go back.

Stockholm is good & I enjoyed Munich, been to Amsterdam twice & would recommend it.  

• If you can find accommodation, Edinburgh is brilliant in august. The fringe is on so you can the your pick of THOUSANDS of shows etc. 
    I doubt the heat will be an issue. 
    HAL9000 said:

Switzerland was completely boring when I was there in 1990...

I was in Saas Fee last year. 'Boring' doesn't even begin to describe it.
    my friend has a chalet in Saas Fee .....Have been to ski many times ....I would agree that it is very boring even in Winter.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2017
    I adored zagreb - cheap as chips and beautiful, good food, good beers (if you know where to look), the stunning Museum of Broken Relationships, markets, interesting buildings. 

I don't know how easy it would be to get from there to the coast though. Also, I vaguely remember thinking there are no direct flights there... But this was some years back. 

Otherwise, Munich and Berlin are brilliant places. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've never been to Dublin but I've been slightly put off by a) the high crime rate and b) people saying a lot of the tourist parts can be dominated by stag and hen parties.

We have still to get to Amsterdam, I've got a Discussion on here on what to do there with teenagers I'll try to dig up. There's a Dutch exchange student at my son's college and she says Delft is the place to go. Not sure there's loads to do, more sight seeing and art. 

Nantes seems to come out well on places to go with teenagers, very cyclist friendly with a Boris bikes type scheme and a tram system, the steampunk park thing is quite famous and it has wacky modern architecture alongside the old chateaus,etc. Would be quite hot I guess but you'd have a sea breeze. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/89483/family-friendly-amsterdam#latest
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    This is a hard one ..............glad I'm not your travel agent !
    Madrid / Toledo won't be very hot but it's not as exciting as Barcelona
    If you did Lake Como both Milan and Verona are within 40 minutes drive and there is lots to do around the Lake -little towns,numerous boat rides/water Taxis to Cernobbio,Menaggio and Tremetto and Lecco.
    You will be bored in Amsterdam after a day - it's very small and samey.
    Paris I always find very Meh
    Avignon is very easy by fast train ,superbly beautiful and close to Pont du Garde,Nimes,Arles and the Camargue although 3 days is enough. Palais de Papes and easy to jump on a boat for a day going up or down the Rhone.
    Bizarrely.......if they like shops you will find that New York is as cheap as Europe in the height of summer and it really isn't such a long flight .