Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clarky and the Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I'm a bit confused as to how Clarky is running out of DSP because my impression was the Helix could do more in a patch than the Axe FX 2, however I don't do any of the complex morphing stuff Clarky does.  I also haven't ever hit the DSP limit on the Axe FX - I've run out of switches on my MIDI controller way before then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Drew_TNBD your photo isn't working
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited July 2017
    @Drew_TNBD your photo isn't working
    Working here ya bitch!! Hmmm... Ever since Dropbox changed their previewing mechanisms, the share links regularly break. But only on this forum it seems. ffs. Fuck it... Imgur time...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    OK, I'll be the one to ask: what is morphing?
  • @robinbowes within the same preset, using an expression pedal to blend from one set of parameters to another.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Clarky said:

sounds hi-gain, feels mid-gain
    You know what.... that's almost the perfect way to describe how I feel about all modellers - Axe, Kemper, Helix .... they all sound great, but they feel like I'm playing through a small Vox Pathfinder amp!!

My rig is basically Diezel D-Moll + Helix in 4-cable-method. I'm loving the tones right now!!!
    so with 4CM, you're avoiding the modelling and just using the fx [which are rather nice] and routing [which is pretty flexible]
    play every note as if it were your first

The mid gain / high gain thing is interesting.

I'm a complete compression junkie so I've got them on everything so I dont have that issue. But then again I'm not pushing the DSP limits either.
    I'm thinking that I'll have to do the same…
    the worry though is comp + dirt = noise = harder input gate settings

Clarky - have you mucked about with the SAG control on the amps?

They can tighten things up quite a bit in high gain use
    not yet… I'll put it on the to-do list..

OK, I'll be the one to ask: what is morphing?
    changing one tone into another by assigning various block parameters to controllers
    not to be confused with cross-fading two different tones <- which sounds crap

I'm a bit confused as to how Clarky is running out of DSP because my impression was the Helix could do more in a patch than the Axe FX 2, however I don't do any of the complex morphing stuff Clarky does.  I also haven't ever hit the DSP limit on the Axe FX - I've run out of switches on my MIDI controller way before then.
    from what I've found, the Helix don't get remotely close to the Axe-FX..
    the Axe-FX seems to me to be considerably more powerful
    also, the Helix chains have far fewer slots than the Axe-FX grid
    edited July 2017
    Well in that case I don't know where I got my info from.

Maybe it came from discussion about block limits - on the Axe FX there are limits on the amount of identical block types in the same patch, but with XY most people seem to get on ok in terms of patches and switching.  I know Drew found it restrictive since he tends to go for a lot of delays, and the Helix (I think) lets you run as many as the DSP will allow.

It is interesting to hear you've hit the DSP limit on the Helix.  I'm assuming it doesn't do X/Y switching - so in reality you're running 3 amps in the patch at all times, rather than 2 on the Fractal (with the third being on X/Y).  I wonder if it's something that can or will be implemented in future Helix firmware upgrades
    edited July 2017
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Clarky said:

sounds hi-gain, feels mid-gain
    You know what.... that's almost the perfect way to describe how I feel about all modellers - Axe, Kemper, Helix .... they all sound great, but they feel like I'm playing through a small Vox Pathfinder amp!!

My rig is basically Diezel D-Moll + Helix in 4-cable-method. I'm loving the tones right now!!!
    so with 4CM, you're avoiding the modelling and just using the fx [which are rather nice] and routing [which is pretty flexible]
    Yeah for live and practice. For home stuff I use the modelling.

Maybe it came from discussion about block limits - on the Axe FX there are limits on the amount of identical block types in the same patch, but with XY most people seem to get on ok in terms of patches and switching.  I know Drew found it restrictive since he tends to go for a lot of delays, and the Helix (I think) lets you run as many as the DSP will allow.
    Yeah. It's just a different approach really. I've got 4 delays in my main patch, two of which are on a parallel path which I bring in with an expression pedal and they then feed into the front of the other two. Basically I've got a 'screaming delay feedback' type of thing going on.

You can hear it in action at 2:35 in this video:
    https://www.facebook.com/tnbduk/videos/10155392152951737/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    And you know what else, I can't get that tone from any other delay pedal. I did try!! Nemesis doesn't quite do it as good, nor does the DD-500. Basically it requires a combination of reverse delay, vintage delay, adriatic analog delay, and regular high quality digital delay - plus reverb.

You can't get it from a single pedal.

Sorry for the slight hijack Clarky!!

It is interesting to hear you've hit the DSP limit on the Helix.  I'm assuming it doesn't do X/Y switching - so in reality you're running 3 amps in the patch at all times, rather than 2 on the Fractal (with the third being on X/Y).  I wonder if it's something that can or will be implemented in future Helix firmware upgrades
    in the Axe there are 2 blocks of each type and for a few there are 4 blocks
    they're numbered.. AMP1, CAB2, GEQ4, PHA2, VOL3 etc
    so the limit is not a DSP thing, it's a limitation of what's available to choose from..
    that said… most block types support X/Y so you have double availability on the grid
    from what is available you can keep loading until you see CPU hit about 90%
    after 90% you may start getting performance issues..
    that said.. you can make huge presets with all kinds of complex cabling around the grid

iirc, Drew's issue with the Axe was the amp modelling more than anything else
    seems to me that he has this issue with all modellers.. which is why he uses real amps and 4CM

you're right, I'm using 3 individual amps in the Helix whereas in the Axe I run 2 with one of them X/Y
    Clarky said:
    iirc, Drew's issue with the Axe was the amp modelling more than anything else
    seems to me that he has this issue with all modellers.. which is why he uses real amps and 4CM
    Yup. If Fractal did an Axe FX II in a footpedal unit that wasn't crippled, I'd grab one.

Drew_TNBD said:
    Yeah. It's just a different approach really. I've got 4 delays in my main patch, two of which are on a parallel path which I bring in with an expression pedal and they then feed into the front of the other two. Basically I've got a 'screaming delay feedback' type of thing going on.

You can hear it in action at 2:35 in this video:
    https://www.facebook.com/tnbduk/videos/10155392152951737/
    so we both know that the Axe won't load 4 individual delays..
    but you can run 2 with X/Y
    and if you need loads of delays you can load the 10-tap
    but… you know all this already.. lol..

Drew_TNBD said:
    And you know what else, I can't get that tone from any other delay pedal. I did try!! Nemesis doesn't quite do it as good, nor does the DD-500. Basically it requires a combination of reverse delay, vintage delay, adriatic analog delay, and regular high quality digital delay - plus reverb.

You can't get it from a single pedal.

Sorry for the slight hijack Clarky!!
    noooo prob… all valuable insights..
    Clarky said:

Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    so… I'm now doing my tone morphing stuff..
    dry riff morphs to clean ambient
    solo morphs to clean but remains ambient
    clean does no morphing at all

I reckon I'll struggle to do my next preset..
    riff to clean
    solo to clean
    clean to pad
    riff to pad
    Are you going to set them on parallel paths and then put a gain block at the front of each?
    then simultaneously increase and decrease the gain on the pedal sweep?
    there are a few templates for that kind of thing that are worth looking at
    shame I can't post a pic cos the photo bucket bstrds..

amp1: path 1a
    amp2: path 1b

path1 links to path2

amp3: path 2a
    There are a few things you can play with here
    the gain blocks in front of each amp to turn it up and down
    the amp controls themselves (decrease the gain while increasing the master or channel volumes) the mix on a split block
    There should be enough in all that to waste a few hours of your time ;)
    that's exactly what I've done - a copy of something I do in the Axe-FX
    also a pan block after amp1 because:
    riff: panned left to sound in conjunction with amp2: panned right
    solo: amp1 pans center
    didn't need to do this..
    I used snapshot to control the panning and levels of paths 1a and 1b and so managed to do away with 3 vol/pan blocks
    Sounds like you're making progress 

Are you going to be trying the Helix through your live cab set up?

That'd be an interesting comparison for sure, especially with regards to feel