Mic for recording classical guitar

What's Hot
Any recommendations for a mic for recording classical guitar? I've heard talk that ribbon mics can be good for instruments, but I imagine that's in the context of a nice space where you want to hear the concert hall.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    AKG C414B mic (or matched pair)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks @viz, I'll check this out.
  • This sounds like a cop out, but the best recommendation I could give you would depend on two factors. How much you want to spend, and how familiar you are with mic'ing a classical guitar =)
  • Or what @viz said.
    This sounds like a cop out, but the best recommendation I could give you would depend on two factors. How much you want to spend, and how familiar you are with mic'ing a classical guitar =)
    I don't want to spend more than 1500 :)

I'm used to mic'ing a steel string guitar, usually put a LDC about 15" away from the sound hole but off-axis, pointing to the 12th fret, and sometimes a SDC pointing behind the bridge.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Depends on your budget, I heartily recommend a pair of Rode M5's for recording acoustic guitar 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited July 2017
    Solo recordings in stereo? New or used?
    Solo recordings in stereo? New or used?
    That's the idea yes. Used is OK if in good condition
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    My suggestion is almost always get a used U87 if you don't have one already.
    If you are on a budget then a high quality SDC is always a good shout.
    I reckon everyone should have a Josephson C42.
    @octatonic thanks, yes, iirc you've mentioned the Josephson previously, I should check them out.

Not sure I can justify a U87, I'm not a pro!  But I do want to get a good sound.  I like the ADK SDC I have currently, but the LDC is an old ADK A-51 that I got on eBay for peanuts years ago and it's a bit damaged.

I do have a hankering for one of these as I like the ADK sound

https://www.kmraudio.com/adk-cremona-251-t.php#productTabs1

I've heard good things about the SE rn17's vs km184s so I'd try a pair of those if you want a crisp condensor tone. Ribbons will sound pretty different and the Joly modded ones from the US sound great but they are more faff with duties. Or you could blow the budget on a pair of Samar VL37s for £1900.
    mellowsun said:
    Thanks @viz, I'll check this out.
    I ought to add, I've never mic'd a classical but asked a friend for the recommendation. She does absolutely gorgeous recordings in a home studio so I'm sure it's a good recommendation. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    I ought to add, I've never mic'd a classical but asked a friend for the recommendation. She does absolutely gorgeous recordings in a home studio so I'm sure it's a good recommendation. 
    That would be great, thanks! (any youtube or other links to her recordings btw?)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I've heard good things about the SE rn17's vs km184s so I'd try a pair of those if you want a crisp condensor tone. Ribbons will sound pretty different and the Joly modded ones from the US sound great but they are more faff with duties. Or you could blow the budget on a pair of Samar VL37s for £1900.
    With his budget and for classical guitar, rather than KM184s he could probably swing to a decent KM84 - the (better, as long as they've been treated right) predecessor to the 184. It's an SDC so it's fast on transients and realistic sounding, but still has natural sounding treble unlike the often hyped op end of more modern SDCs. Maybe 2, if the budget could be stretched a bit, but there's nothing wrong with a mono recording of a single instrument!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    mellowsun said:
    viz said:
    That would be great, thanks! (any youtube or other links to her recordings btw?)
    here ye go:

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    mellowsun said:
    @octatonic thanks, yes, iirc you've mentioned the Josephson previously, I should check them out.

Not sure I can justify a U87, I'm not a pro!  But I do want to get a good sound.  I like the ADK SDC I have currently, but the LDC is an old ADK A-51 that I got on eBay for peanuts years ago and it's a bit damaged.

I do have a hankering for one of these as I like the ADK sound

https://www.kmraudio.com/adk-cremona-251-t.php#productTabs1

You'd get a used U87 for the sort of money you'd pay for a new ADK.
    But seriously, get the C42's.
    They are insanely good value and sound excellent on pretty much everything.
    @viz thanks, sounds fantastic. Bridget seems to be using a single mic and the recorded sound is beautiful.

Very clear demonstration of technique too, must look into some lessons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    With his budget and for classical guitar, rather than KM184s he could probably swing to a decent KM84 - the (better, as long as they've been treated right) predecessor to the 184. It's an SDC so it's fast on transients and realistic sounding, but still has natural sounding treble unlike the often hyped op end of more modern SDCs. Maybe 2, if the budget could be stretched a bit, but there's nothing wrong with a mono recording of a single instrument!
    Finding a matched pair within budget mean that km84s will probably not be a consideration.
    mellowsun said:
    @viz thanks, sounds fantastic. Bridget seems to be using a single mic and the recorded sound is beautiful.

Very clear demonstration of technique too, must look into some lessons
    Yes, she's a really experienced teacher, very well regarded. I'm sure she does personal lessons, though I don't know for certain, but if she does go for it, she'll be amazing. Also she has excellent links with the uk classical guitar community.