Corinne Bailey Rae

TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
I saw her with her band last night - more or less by accident as a friend at work offered me a spare ticket yesterday. Was really pleasantly surprised, great voice, strong songs and she has quite a stage presence, she's pretty captivating.

however.

The band whilst not being bad at all, sounded really like they were struggling to gel. The keyboard / bass player was awesome, the 2nd keys player was a bit ott - the guitarist looked right on the edge of his ability level and to me was struggling to keep up somewhat, some of the stuff he had to play seemed difficult for him,. The drummer seemed good, but constantly ahead of the music.

It's the first time I've ever really felt like that at a pro gig. I really felt that they were chasing the music. The best songs were the slightly simpler ones where they reigned it in a bit, then it grooved. It was quite eye opening.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    They supported Cast on Sunday at a free gig in Liverpool. Shes pretty decent.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I love her voice. I put her in the "interesting" column. Far too many bland screamers in the female vocalists pot at the moment. She's got real character and doesn't try and sound like everyone else. Great songs too. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I love her voice. I put her in the "interesting" column. Far too many bland screamers in the female vocalists pot at the moment. She's got real character and doesn't try and sound like everyone else. Great songs too. 
    That is true - to me she sings like she is smiling the whole time, her voice has a happy, slightly mischievous quality to it.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    @Teetonetal I'm surprised by your comment about her guitarist. Was he wearing glasses and a cap? If so, that's John McCallum who is a mate of mine and he's played with Corinne for years. He's never struggled any time I've seen him play! I wonder if he'd been on the tequila?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    DiscoStu said:
    @Teetonetal I'm surprised by your comment about her guitarist. Was he wearing glasses and a cap? If so, that's John McCallum who is a mate of mine and he's played with Corinne for years. He's never struggled any time I've seen him play! I wonder if he'd been on the tequila?
    Yup cap and glasses. Looked up a pic and that is him.

He certainly sounded a little off the game to me. Looked like he had a few technical difficulties as near the start, maybe that was off putting. No idea. If I had been betting I would have said he was new to the band!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited July 2017
    Must be the tequila then! John's just toured the world with her and been her guitarist/backing singer for about a decade.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Love her theme tune for Lucky Man on Sky
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think her guitarists posts on here....or a member of her band posts on here.  I'm nearly certain someone posted a picture of him with Corrine and her band.