Scarborough - any thoughts as a place to live after retiring.

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Smethwick. Cheap housing and two train stations ( and a canal museum, yeah). :no_mouth: 

As a tourist Whitby seems quainter, more bohemian than Scarborough. Most places have varying degrees of niceness though. Blackpool, for instance which is a right shit hole in places has some nice bits, my friend John is related to members of the De Beers diamond fortune people who live in Blackpool. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    NO VILLAGES.............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    Bournemouth?
    slacker said:
    Bournemouth?
    Apparently you go to Eastbourne to die.  I believe that Bournemouth is the next stop, :-)

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited July 2017
    rlw said:
    Have you been to that crazy Italian place in Riccall - Per Bacco?  
    Not yet! Riccall's just down the road from us too - any good?!

We've been to The Spice Mill Indian there which was pretty good.

There's one thing in Riccall that really freaks me out - the bloomin' water tower!

I've got a mate that lives in York centre, just off Bishopthorpe Road. His is terraced house and they can be had for reasonable money. The larger houses out in areas like Fulford and Dringhouses with gardens can be pricey.

York people seem quite down to earth and friendly. My sister lives in Harrogate, she fits in really well there - she's quite a snob! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    TonyR said:
    rlw said:
    Have you been to that crazy Italian place in Riccall - Per Bacco?  
    Not yet! Riccall's just down the road from us too - any good?!

We've been to The Spice Mill Indian there which was pretty good.

There's one thing in Riccall that really freaks me out - the bloomin' water tower!

I've got a mate that lives in York centre, just off Bishopthorpe Road. His is terraced house and they can be had for reasonable money. The larger houses out in areas like Fulford and Dringhouses with gardens can be pricey.

York people seem quite down to earth and friendly. My sister lives in Harrogate, she fits in really well there - she's quite a snob! ;)
    Per Bacco is run by an extended family of Italians, only one of whom appears to speak English.  The food is authentic and very very good.  The venue is strange but well worth a trip.  It is not formal either, very laid back in fact.

The only thing wrong with York is, of course, the rivers.  Looking at Rightmove, none of the ones on there allude even to the possibiity of flooding.  Fortunately, we no where to look more or less.

And I know what you mean about the water tower................

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    For your budget you could buy half of Doncaster - it's a shithole but good train link to london!
    Foster said:
    For your budget you could buy half of Doncaster - it's a shithole but good train link to london!
    Fair point - and the nightlife is quite fun too :-(
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sounds like York would be the best bet imo.    A great mix of history and modern with easy access.  
    Harrogate is a pain for traffic and has less going on.
    Feel free to ask about specific areas, I know it well and have plenty of mates who live in York.  As you said already the potential for flooding needs watching but otherwise it's a great place.   

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    Leyburn. In North Yorkshire and absolutely wonderful: https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-dales/leyburn

Pateley Bridge. In the Dales and again, wonderful place: http://www.pateley-bridge.com

Scarborough attracts vagrants. It's not as nice as it used to be in my opinion.

Stokesley attracts far too many travellers and a fair few chavs from Middlesbrough!  but I agree it is lovely.
    Deadman said:
    Leyburn. In North Yorkshire and absolutely wonderful: https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-dales/leyburn

Pateley Bridge. In the Dales and again, wonderful place: http://www.pateley-bridge.com

Scarborough attracts vagrants. It's not as nice as it used to be in my opinion.

Stokesley attracts far too many travellers and a fair few chavs from Middlesbrough!  but I agree it is lovely.
    NO VILLAGES  -  or even small towns although I love Leyburn.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    Good man  ;)

If I had to choose between Scarborough and York I'd choose Whitby by the way  =)

If really pushed however, I'd probably choose York. It's a nice problem to have anyway. Good luck.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    Bridlington is a lot cheaper than Scarborough and only 20 miles away.  Utterly shit though.  Id also chose Whitby.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    rlw said:
    cruxiform said:
    My god daughters family live in Pickering. Beautiful and close enough to go the coast. It also has the steam railway!
    Lovely place but lousy communications again - even with the NYMR.  Scarborough is direct to York in 50 minutes with trains hourly.  We don't want to live somewhere completely isolated.
    No worries mate. I hope you get the property you want :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    York FTW! It really is a great place to live (unless you have to drive through/round it which is miserable at the best of times). I moved here from Bournemouth, which incidentally no longer deserves its old person reputation since 15years ago when all the developers realised that splitting the retirement homes into flats for professionals was considerably more lucrative.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything specific about York, I've lived in a couple of different areas of the city and work in the city centre (although I now live in an outlying village).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    If you're set on York, I know that the district of Fulford is very charming.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    Bingley :-) 15 mins train into Leeds, direct to London in a couple hours and you get to take me for a pint win win @rlw ;
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    In all seriousness @rlw have a look out skipton direction maybe? Direct to Leeds on the train, on the edge of the dales? Oh and you get to take me for a pint :-p
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    rlw said:
    slacker said:
    Bournemouth?
    Apparently you go to Eastbourne to die.  I believe that Bournemouth is the next stop, :-)

Not any more , Bournemouth is buzzing nowadays. It's getting quite cosmopolitan and the beaches are the best in the country (imho of course)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    I moved from Bridlington to York about 4 years ago and have never looked back. I only go to visit friends and family and that's it. There's pretty much nothing to do there and the only good things about it are the south beach and Sewerby Gardens, which, coincidentally/ironically are at the opposite ends when you leave the town. Scarborough is just a glorified version of it.  I'm reminded of a friend from Scarborough joking that when you come in the town, it says "Scarborough, Britain's First Resort" going on to quip "that must mean Brid is Britain's last resort". And to be honest, he's right.

York on the other hand is a different beast altogether and is often to referred to as the "graveyard of ambition", meaning people come here, fall in love with the city, then stay. I'm on of those people and I've spoken to many others who have done the same. Despite the slight increase in cost in living, it's better quality too. You're well connected; Leeds, Harrogate and Knaresborough all less than an hour a way. Plenty of places to go, things to do, sights to see, and there's generally a good vibe all the time. Not only that, it's a nice size for a city, everywhere being pretty much in walking distance.

Honestly, if you're aiming to move and York is an option, then pick York.