What does the electoral roll actually look like?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6177
The electoral roll that the local authority holds, is complete (i.e. not the edited one that people can opt out of) and is made available at the local libraries.

Do we know if this is a computer database that you can search (e.g. by surname)? Or is it a huge paper/microfiche file in ward/address order that you have to wade through manually?

Anyone here know?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2017

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    The electoral roll that the local authority holds, is complete (i.e. not the edited one that people can opt out of) and is made available at the local libraries.

Do we know if this is a computer database that you can search (e.g. by surname)? Or is it a huge paper/microfiche file in ward/address order that you have to wade through manually?

Anyone here know?
    Are you after a particular address up north?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6177
    Fretwired said:
    As I understand it, that's only the edited version, which is the only one that companies are allowed to use for people search services. People can - and do - opt out of that version. But the full version is a public document. Just not online.

And yes - it's for a particular address "up north". He did NOT appear on the edited version from 192.com when I last looked.
    goldtop said:
    Fretwired said:
    As I understand it, that's only the edited version, which is the only one that companies are allowed to use for people search services. People can - and do - opt out of that version. But the full version is a public document. Just not online.

And yes - it's for a particular address "up north". He did NOT appear on the edited version from 192.com when I last looked.
    People can opt out and if he has done so you won't find him through the electoral roll. I am about to have a conference call with a client who just happens to run a debt collection company. He can find people in minutes as he has access to credit databases which hold details on mortgages, loans, bank accounts and so forth. I'll ask him for you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    If you know what town or electoral district the individual lives in, contact the electoral registration officer at that particular Council for advice on how best to access that information.
    I've found him on the electoral register.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    If you know what town or electoral district the individual lives in, contact the electoral registration officer at that particular Council for advice on how best to access that information.
    I'm > 200 miles away, and the relevant council says: "Please note that due to data protection, Electoral Services are unable to supply any information from the Register of Electors."

So I'd have to go and check it in person.

ETA: Just fpnd out that this idea's no good: "The registers are arranged by polling district within constituency. There is no alphabetical list of voters."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28573
    Like a Swiss roll, but dry and flavourless.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    goldtop said:
    I'm > 200 miles away, and the relevant council says: "Please note that due to data protection, Electoral Services are unable to supply any information from the Register of Electors."

ETA: Just fpnd out that this idea's no good: "The registers are arranged by polling district within constituency. There is no alphabetical list of voters."
    look above.

Fretwired found him.
    goldtop said:

look above.

Fretwired found him.
    Yup - a 2011- 2013 address based on the "Edited Roll". Which I'd already got by buying the report from 192.com's service.

Basically, most people who have been through a small claim say that the #1 factor in getting the £££s is having the correct and up-to-date address (for serving court papers and eventually sending bailiffs). So I was hoping to find him on the current 2017 electoral roll.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    A couple of years ago i needed to find an address of someone, i went to the local library and they helpfully dumped 4 huge folders of paper in front of me. Luckily i found what i needed fairly quickly, as already said its listed by polling districts, not alphabetically.

I got the impression from the librarians reaction that not many people actually request to look at it, i'm not surprised to be honest!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    goldtop said:
    goldtop said:

look above.

Fretwired found him.
    Yup - a 2011- 2013 address based on the "Edited Roll". Which I'd already got by buying the report from 192.com's service.

Basically, most people who have been through a small claim say that the #1 factor in getting the £££s is having the correct and up-to-date address (for serving court papers and eventually sending bailiffs). So I was hoping to find him on the current 2017 electoral roll.
    So use the enquiry agents I mentioned in the other thread.

Probably cost you £100 and then you can get on with suing him.
  • Jalapeno said:

that is a cob, innit
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Jalapeno said:

that is a cob, innit
    Clearly a bap.

Both of which sound like 60s Batman sound effects.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    goldtop said:

look above.

Fretwired found him.

So use the enquiry agents I mentioned in the other thread.

Probably cost you £100 and then you can get on with suing him.
    Yes, that's the next step. As usual, when it's £650ish or so, spending (say) £200 just to get the info to sue him begs the question of whether you're throwing good money after bad. The electoral register idea was potentially a low-cost way to the same info.
    Tried this lot - unlimited searches of the 2017 Electoral Roll for 24 hours for £3.50 .. I am due to speak to my client and will let you know what he says.

http://www.tracegenie.com/

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I imagine it to be on a giant rolodex

My V key is broken