Free movement between UK and EU to end in March 2019

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
18 months to get out of the UK!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40734504

We've got our NZ passports as a back-up plan - what are other people's plans?
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    You won't have to get out.  They have said that EU citizens who are already here can stay.  I know they are haggling over the exact terms, but you are being a bit Daily Mirror headline.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    crunchman said:
    You won't have to get out.  They have said that EU citizens who are already here can stay. 
    Not quite, they have said that EU citizens can apply for settled status. Of course, many already have settled status. But once we leave the EU, they'll have to apply - and pay - again.

There is currently no negotiation - in fact, negotiations have stalled.

Still, at least you can look forward to chlorinated chicken.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Get it right Amber - its all about repatriating our sovereignty and controlling who we let in, who we allow to stay and being able to kick out those who break the laws or are benefits tourists. Start developing the UK ESTA and work permit systems. The US system works so don't invent from new and don't give the contract to deliver it to the idiot 'big' organisations who continuously fail to deliver Government IT contracts - and about which all you do is give them new contracts to fail all over again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    No more spur of the moment romantic weekends in Paris, or sneaky smokey breaks to Amsterdam without applying for a visa in advance. Queuing up for 3 hours in the “outside the EU” anal investigation security line in the airport. Good times!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    goat said:
    No more spur of the moment romantic weekends in Paris, or sneaky smokey breaks to Amsterdam without applying for a visa in advance. Queuing up for 3 hours in the “outside the EU” anal investigation security line in the airport. Good times!
    You should have been like mellowsun and had a backup plan in advance!

i have my emergency getaway suitcase packed with all essentials in it.  When the shit hits the fan in 18 months I'm gonna be ready brother.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:

No. One twat in the government said that and everyone slapped him down. Free movement won't go - it will be modified to free movement to people who meet certain criteria and can get a job. All the UK ever wanted was to control who came in ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Fretwired said:
    No. One twat in the government said that and everyone slapped him down. Free movement won't go - it will be modified to free movement to people who meet certain criteria and can get a job. All the UK ever wanted was to control who came in ....
    You know, in twenty years time, I can't help thinking a lot of people in Europe will sit back and go "you know, maybe we should have let the UK restrict free movement a bit, would have saved a lot of hassle.."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    You know, in twenty years time, I can't help thinking a lot of people in Europe will sit back and go "you know, maybe we should have let the UK restrict free movement a bit, would have saved a lot of hassle.."
    I think in four years time, when the EU has realised that free unrestricted movement isn't all that great (Google court dispute between Croatia and Austria) we'll sit back and think we should have waited a while longer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27483
    Fretwired said:

But that's not a very headlinist inaccurate bit of sensationalism, now is it?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27483
    mellowsun said:

As you appear to have a very clear idea of what's going to happen, and how it's all going to turn out, I'm slightly baffled as to why you've not already left?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    As you appear to have a very clear idea of what's going to happen, and how it's all going to turn out, I'm slightly baffled as to why you've not already left?
    Well no, it's the not knowing that has led to the back up plan. Better to have it in place now than wait until 2019.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I talk to a Croatian girl, maybe she'll let me marry for residence
    My V key is broken
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    goat said:
    Queuing up for 3 hours in the “outside the EU” anal investigation security line in the airport. Good times!

Some people will pay good money for precisely that kind of thing.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    mellowsun said:

So your backup plan is to go from one country that doesn't have free movement with the EU, to another country that doesn't have free movement with the EU?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    quarky said:
    mellowsun said:

So your backup plan is to go from one country that doesn't have free movement with the EU, to another country that doesn't have free movement with the EU?
    NZ citizens currently have a pretty good deal. New Zealand has bilateral visa waiver agreements with most Schengen area countries, so citizens can spend up to three months in each of them (rather than up to 3 months in the Schengen area as a whole).

But obviously this does not include working in them.

I think the ability to live and work freely in an EU country is the biggest loss for Brexit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Fretwired said:

But that's not a very headlinist inaccurate bit of sensationalism, now is it?

No. The immigration minister made a comment that was refuted by Amber Rudd.

From the Times:

Britain is likely to keep existing migration rules immediately after Brexit with EU nationals allowed to enter so long as they register, the home secretary revealed today.

Amber Rudd set out the first details of Britain’s post-Brexit migration system which will see the legal responsibility of European freedom of movement ending on March 31 2019 but no major immediate changes to the approach.

The home secretary was setting out her approach in a letter to the Migration Advisory Committee which is being asked to examine the role and location of EU nationals in the UK for a major report in September 2019.

Notably the letter from Ms Rudd to the Migration Advisory Committee makes no mention of the need to come up with policy that gets net migration down into the tens of thousands. Instead Ms Rudd suggests she wants the system to remain as open as possible. “Our businesses, agriculture, public services, voluntary organisations and universities rely to a greater or lesser extent on migration for labour, skills and ideas. Britain is a tolerant country, open for business and will stay that way.”

Brandon Lewis, the immigration minister, sparked fears of an immediate change of the rules when he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme that free movement would end with Brexit. However the present rules could simply be replicated in UK law or slightly modified.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4787
    So her statement indicates no change in policy to reduce net migration and over 50% of the UK's immigrants come from outside the EU.

How exactly will leaving the EU alter the level of immigration? In 2016 net migration from the EU was 133000, and from outside 175000. It's never going to be into the 10's of thousands just because we've left the EU surely?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4787
    P.s. That's not a dig, I want to know why from someone who has a clue because I don't.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

holnrew said:
    I talk to a Croatian girl, maybe she'll let me marry for residence
    Eastern European girls are mad cute, I envy you.  I love their broken English and sexy accents, they remind me of Bond girls.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Pussy Galore innit bruv.