Jazzmaster mods

What's Hot
Right. I wanna change some things up on my Jazzmaster but need some input from people who actually know what they're doing (Unlike myself). Anyway, first of all I fancy a new bridge, and some some new pickups. I have no clue about the bridge, and for the pickups I fancy just getting some Gretsch ones, but again don't know whether that's a good idea. Ok, so really I need advice on a bridge, advice on humbuckers, and just generally whether I should take it to a Luthier to get it all done. If you want to add anything else or ask anything feel free to ask me.  Cheers for reading this far
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    edited August 2017
    Bridge -get the appropriate Staytrem or if your feeling flush the mastery bridge. The Staytrem is a bare minimum must to my mind.

Pickups -decide what you want in terms of spec and either get onto Marc at Mojo or Jaime at The Creamery, both make fantastic jazzmaster pickups and fantastic filtertrons so will be able to offer a suitable bespoke choice.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14522
    Rowhan371 said:
    for the pickups, I fancy just getting some Gretsch ones but, again, don't know whether that's a good idea. 
    Next string change, inspect beneath the scratchplate. Jazzmaster pickup routs are wide and shallow. Filter'Tron type pickup routs need to be deeper. Also, Filter'Trons occupy a smaller area than JM single coils, your proposed installation will leave an unsightly gap between the new pickups and the original 'guard. Altogether, that will be quite a lot of modifying and expenditure.

In my opinion, it would be smarter to sell the JM as is and purchase a Gretsch instead.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited August 2017
    I have a lovely set of Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster pickups you could fit which I'm sure would be a huge stepup from whatever in there at the moment. PM me for details if you are interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bridge -get the appropriate Staytrem or if your feeling flush the mastery bridge. The Staytrem is a bare minimum must to my mind.

Pickups -decide what you want in terms of spec and either get onto Marc at Mojo or Jaime at The Creamery, both make fantastic jazzmaster pickups and fantastic filtertrons so will be able to offer a suitable bespoke choice.
    Not sure if I made clear here...but we are talking filtertrons made to fit in a JM pickup casing.  No mods, just a straight swap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers for the reply's guys. I think I'm gonna get some custom humbuckers done (I'll spare you all the details unless you're interested), and get a Staytrem bridge. I'm going to avoid the Gretsch Filtertron ones, so thanks for that advice. :)
    Always interested in the details, this is a forum full of guitar geeks after all! :)
  • My Jazzmaster came with Fender Humbuckers as oppose to the usual styled pickups, and The Creamery do some real nice Filtertrons which would fit straight right in, and a double track humbucker, of which I'm thinking of having in the neck position with alnico 2 magnets. I've also been recommended Fraser Callum who can fit the pickups for me so I don't make a pig's ear of it all!
  • Fraser Callum is good.as is Lee Laverack ,guitar tech of Leeds.he also makes   pickups  too. ;)