Upgrading my Telecaster - How Far Should I Go?

What's Hot
Hi Guys I was looking at getting a Squier Tele but then a friend recommended a dealer on Ebay. I bought one of his Chinese Telecasters for £80,don't laugh it's excellent. I have put an Oil City pickup in the bridge,and bought a new control plate complete with electrics. Now I want to swop the bridge,it's got an ashtray type and I want a flat plate with individual saddles. The only one that fit's the bill is a Hipshot for £79.95. Do you think this is a bit over the top considering how much the guitar originally cost? Comment appreciated. Thanks Alan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I got a guitar for not much more than that and I've spent at least £400 on it so far ;) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    Just keep all the old parts.

You'll never be able to sell it for much more than you paid, no matter what the upgrades.  So, if you do ever want or need to sell it, make sure you can downgrade it to original spec and keep all the upgrades for another guitar or a separate sale.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if it'll fit, but Gotoh do a bridge for less than that that's great quality :)
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited February 2014
    I say go the whole hog! Think of the fun you'll have. As TTony says, you can always replace the original parts if you decide to sell it.

I bought a USA telecaster with a tokai neck about 7 years ago (Swapped it for a MIM 72 type tele custom). The only thing left of the original guitar is the body and the neck plate. I've spent far more than it's worth, but I'm never going to sell it anyway - it's perfect for me now (apart from maybe trying a bigsby on it :) ). I might also add that everybody who's played it, without exception, comments on how good it is - even a guitar shop owner claimed it was the best tele he'd ever played. Just goes to show.

So, if it feels good - do it (Although bear in mind, you can't polish a turd!)
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    If your planning to keep it the go for it.

If it'll be gone in a years time,save your money and you'll be able to by a better guitar as a base to work on, or one that doesn't need modifying.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You like the basic guitar. Spending a bit, here and there, and you'll have something that's exactly what you want. There's something to be said for that. End of the day - it's your guitar, and your money, and if it makes you happy - it's worth it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks for the comments.

The main reason for wanting to change the bridge is it is difficult to palm mute,the turned up sides
    of the bridge get in the way.

If i could find a bridge a bit cheaper i would not hesitate,but at £80,i'm not sure.

I can't see myself selling it,i would get buttons for it and it's worth more to keep it.

I usually play strats so this is a new thing for me,so i have to give myself every chance to get used to playing the Tele.

Alan

Looks like my plans are scuppered before i start.

Can't find a bridge of the right dimensions anywhere.

Maybe i should just get an ashtray type with individual saddles,at
    least that would be halfway there.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I hope the "traditionalists" don't see you saying such things about the ashtray/3 saddle bridge.
    If it was good enough in 1952 it's good enough now!

By the way I agree I don't like the lip either. I realise you get used to it, but why should you have too.

Well i wouldn't want to upset anyone but being a Strat man it's difficult.

• I agree on the lip.

Post a picture of the guitar and maybe we can help :) if possible, lay a ruler next to the bridge so we get an idea of string spacing, and the number and location of screws.
    Dimensions are as follows.

Width 77mm - Length 85mm - String Spacing is 54mm - 4 Screw Fixing,screw measure 65mm centre to centre.

I can't find anything,and i don't really want to do major surgery.

Alan

Here is a picture of the bridge. http://www.4shared.com/photo/H-mu9tG8ce/photo.html
  • Hi
    Just a passing thought on upgrading cheap tele's

I bought a similar one for a silly price within 9 months the neck skewed beyond practical repair due to being made of cheap not very well dried wood. 6 months later the body laminates came apart. It had a really nice Candy Apple red finish that hid the fact that it was made of 18 glued strips of of very green pine which in the end ruptured the finish and three came unglued and the body split. 

In the end every part is upgradable and I was going to transplant a new neck then the lacquer cracked on the body, one of the tuners gears split. 

I think Chinese quality has come on leaps since I bought that in 2004 when I was starting up again.

Just my experience that said everytime I see an 80 quid shiny guitar I get tempted never learn

Jez
    Thanks Jez

I think they have improved a lot since then and judging by the allot the guy is selling they are pretty good.

He is on Facebook under Alan George Guitars if you want to take a look.

Alan

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I would say try playing a stock classic vibe Tele before spending your hard earned (if you haven't already). You can get a second hand one for around 200 quid and to me they're best left stock. Some would say they benefit from an electronics upgrade, I don't think it's a complete necessity.
    I have already bought the guitar and upgraded the electrics. Gavin from Axecaster has helped me out with a bridge so that just leaves the machineheads and at the moment I am happy with them. Alan
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    It sounds like a really cool guitar all the same. I get a real buzz from making cheaper guitars play and look good. Do try a classic vibe if you get a chance though!
  • The bridge looks like a regular 4 screw one - don't get too hung up on the odd mm difference, so long as the screws line up you can mod the scratch plate.

I'd check out the gotoh one, not too pricey, great quality, steel saddles and 4 screw fitting :)
    Thanks TPD This is the first time I have tried to mod anything so I guess I am being a bit careful. Gavin from Axecaster has sorted me out for £20 so hopefully it will fit and I will be sorted. Hope I don't enjoy it too much,don't have much room for any more guitars. Alan