What is good about the PRS DGT?

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Intrigued by these. Would be interested to try one against my Modern Eagle and then the McCarty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Love my DGT.

Had a Studio, SC245 and a stripped 58, as great as they all were the DGT ended up being the only keeper, such a great sounding versatile guitar, once I’d set it up to my tastes (10’s and a lower action) it hasn’t needed any more tweaking or setting up, had it for around 3 years now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025

I’m so taken with it, that I’ve decided my ‘real’ ‘64 335 is no longer needed. It’s ‘that’ good....
    You know, you're not helping mate!

I keep getting the same itch.  But fortunately I'm only drawn to the Gold Top version, and thankfully there don't seem to be as many of them.
    Peach have a dot neck one in used....

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Noooooooooo.....!!  I don't need to be spending on another gui....Wait a minute.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Noooooooooo.....!!  I don't need to be spending on another gui....Wait a minute.
    Just use it as an opportunity to cull some others :)
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Just use it as an opportunity to cull some others :)
    I did the same when mine landed, its taken me some time to convince myself i needed anything else. The truth is i dont really

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I ended up selling the one in my avatar.  The best all rounder I've ever come across, but the coil tap sounds didn't quite have that little something that a really good Strat or Tele has, and the humbucker sounds didn't quite have the beef of a good Les Paul.  If I could only have one electric then it would probably still be a DGT.

The DGT is a great guitar.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I have 2 US Fenders and a Gretsch and I pretty much just play the DGT. I occasionally think about acquiring something else, but it would be a waste of time.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited April 2018
    It looks like a good versatile working musicians tool but I've never been impressed with the tone of it when I've heard it played on 'that pedal show ' etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cracking demo?

edit - just seen the link from @Kebabkid and will check it out.
    It looks like a good versatile working musicians tool but I've never been impressed with the tone of it when I've heard it played on 'that pedal show ' etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cracking demo?

edit - just seen the link from @Kebabkid and will check it out.
    I’ll try to find time to do a demo and post the Soundcloud link. The sound is the biggest surprise to me - the best PRS I’ve played in that respect.

I don’t think there are many guitars I’d buy based on how they sound on TPS. Both Dan & Mick’s idea of ‘great’ tone is a mile off mine - which isn’t a criticism as such - it’s all a matter of taste.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    @richardhomer Thanks, I'd appreciate it.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @mburekenge This is the vid that forced me to purchase mine (two of them in fact).
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    They are awful and over-hyped.

You should all dump yours on the used market, lowering the prices so I can get a second one ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    ellwood said:
    Intrigued by these. Would be interested to try one against my Modern Eagle and then the McCarty.
    built on a similar chassis to the ME and Mc with the addition of the trem, so different in a different way, so that doesn't mean better - I play an ME a lot and still love the DGT, even though I don't own one, but could easily go for one - Pick-ups are exclusive to the DGT and Dave has always made a big point of these when the early prototypes were produced - neck shape is marginally different to the ME + Mc

A great all round guitar that can do  a lot
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    @richardhomer - congrats - they are a nice guitar - far less 'clinical' in tone to a Custom 22 - Can easily handle the LP/335 flavoured tones without having to replicate them in a DNA format 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've never played one, and I don't normally like PRS guitars at all, but the goldtop ones are very pretty...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2018
    They're great guitars. I've tried a few this last year and they were in the running for me. I even had a go of monquixote's one when I picked up a pedal They're versatile and all the ones I played felt great and were all consistently good players and sounded great .

Despite the DGT having a lot of useable sounds, and even me mentioning Rob Harris from Jamiroquai picking this model guitar to cover stuff from his Strats and Tele, the pull of quackier/spankier Strat sounds with a humbucker pulled me in a different direction. However, as Rob Harris also says in another interview, as nice as Strat sounds are, these variants seem to sit a lot better in a mix and cut through.

@Bucket - as has been mentioned, there's a nice, used, gold top one in Peach Guitars
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Just sold one of mine, awesome guitars but not gigging these days so kept one, sold one.
    #thebatesmotelband
    Given the recent Silver Sky threads, it’s good to see how many DGT owners we have on here - perhaps someone will buy a Silver Sky and have the bottle to do an NGD about it? :)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Given the recent Silver Sky threads, it’s good to see how many DGT owners we have on here - perhaps someone will buy a Silver Sky and have the bottle to do an NGD about it? :)
    Wish I had the spare cash for one. 

Given your affection for and knowledge of Strats, I’d like to read your opinion on one, if you could get to play one locally?