Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That Pedal Show

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I really enjoy that pedal show. 

I might not be as advanced as some one of you lot but I have learned a lot from that show. 

Some of the episodes don't appeal, I don't watch it.

It's tough to think up a new concept
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Steven Wilson was on it today, which is quite a coup....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Steven Wilson was on it today, which is quite a coup....
    He's in full on PR mode with the new album selling well....breakfast TV included!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ah ok, that makes more sense then, i thought it was a little low brow for him to descend and converse with guitar nerds

• ah ok, that makes more sense then, i thought it was a little low brow for him to descend and converse with guitar nerds
    Nah, he's done stuff with them before, and Dan makes his touring boards.
  • hywelg said:
    Was in B&Q yesterday and whilst waiting for the operator for the big saw to turn up and cut my 5 sheets of chipboard I happened to listen to some of the announcements over the tannoy, y'know, sales schpiel drivel.

And lo and behold it was Mick Taylors dulcet tones trying to sell me a load of crap. Absolutely sure of it........
    "You can do it when you EQ it"  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The blind test thing is quite interesting. The other day my lad was ripping some vinyl to 96k / 24 bit wav using the built in HiRes USB interface in his deck and reckoned it sounded crap. So we recorded the same tune via my Focusrite interface and confirmation bias and perhaps a small difference in level made it sound like the Focusrite recording was better.
    However, after matching up the levels, playing both tracks back and randomly flicking between them with eyes closed there was little to no difference between them.
    So he was happier and so was my wallet :)
  • the real problem with blind testing is that even when you can hear a difference, how do you decide which one is better? Which is what I was trying to get at in my first post.
    I really enjoy seeing how pros get their sounds as it tends to make me try to make more of what I've got rather than going berserk in the classifieds or eBay.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    "Better" is a load of bollocks when people talk about sound.
    "Different" is all it is, in actual fact.

If it sounds "better" to you then its merely your opinion - and you should never mix up opinion with fact.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

If it sounds "better" to you then its merely your opinion - and you should never mix up opinion with fact.

I think that what they do quite well on TPS. I think they banned the use of the word 'better' themselves
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Not knocking them at all and your right with the mooer elec lady etc. just pointing out the dangers for experts when they do blind tests
    was aimed at the thread rather than you :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    hywelg said:
    Was in B&Q yesterday and whilst waiting for the operator for the big saw to turn up and cut my 5 sheets of chipboard I happened to listen to some of the announcements over the tannoy, y'know, sales schpiel drivel.

And lo and behold it was Mick Taylors dulcet tones trying to sell me a load of crap. Absolutely sure of it........
    That can't be true because he was behind the counter of my local newsagent and served me when I bought a magazine. Then he insisted I read it through a polarising filter, light amber gel tint and someone else's specs "to add a bit of distortion".
  • impmann said:

i think that is mostly true... however I think there are ways of making a sound more... appropriate? I suppose better for a specific situation. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    That Pedal Show is Entertainment first and foremost, just like Guitar Paradiso.  

Please Mick and Dan, I don't want analysis!  I want to be entertained for the best part of an hour and if I learn something new about pedals or hear a couple of them I like, then that is collateral benefit.

Likewise with Mick and Pete on Guitar Paradiso.  Entertain me while showing me some nice gear! 
  • Although their demos and thoughts are interesting, I find their delivery pretty painful and drawn out.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    I think there's very little other YT channels that I enjoy as much as Andertons and TPS. Although I'm sure that if you know your stuff you can get tired with their content. It's the burden of knowing your shit I suppose.

To me, as a blissfully unaware idiot that feels like he's stalking the stage entrance of a big party full of cool people, people like Dan and Mick (and Pete, Ariel, Lee and Rob) open the door every now and then for a quick peek inwards and I think that's cool.

Ultimately I reckon the net effect is the advent of a whole new generation of gear enthusiasts, which can only be a good thing - for unskilled idiot, purist conservatist, artisanal hipster, or wherever you sit on that scale, alike. :)