Paint stripper question

What's Hot
So, I have a GSPBASSES thinline Strat body in Mahogany with a quilted maple top, that I finished in Green ink and Tru Oil, I've never liked the finish, so I have stripped the Tru Oil with paint stripper which went very well, it needs the ink layer sanding off the quilted maple top and a general all over sanding, but the question is, how do I remove all the paint stripper residue so it does not affect the next finish? Stripper is water based, but I'm loathe to run it under a tap!......
Any suggestions guys?
Refinish will be stain then either Tru Oil or Wipe on Poly......
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited August 2017
    http://homewoodcraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/81IR10Z9OiL._SL1500_.jpg

That will fix the quilt top at the same time.

Sorry . If the stripper is water-based, wet kitchen roll should take it off without saturating the wood too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3056
    Wis or lol?

Cheers!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Once wiped off, why not go solid colour - primer, colour, and clear coat and you don't have to worry about sanding off that ink layer then!
    Solid colour over quilted maple? Get your coat!

paulnb57 said:
    Solid colour over quilted maple? Get your coat!
    Quilted Maple on a Strat? You need your hat and brolly on the way out too ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It gets worse @Bridgehouse ;, it's Quilted Maple over Mahogany with a hardtail bridge, two Humbuckers and a Birdseye Maple neck........Oh the shame, the shame....

There may also be an f hole.....

paulnb57 said:
    It gets worse @Bridgehouse ;, it's Quilted Maple over Mahogany with a hardtail bridge, two Humbuckers and a Birdseye Maple neck........Oh the shame, the shame....
    Just call it a Superstrat and you can get away with absolutely anything.

paulnb57 said:
    There may also be an f hole.....
    Oh. Apart from that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    The active ingredient will have fecked off in no time, so a damp wipe down should clean anything else off if it's waterbased. Will prob raise the grain which is a slight bonus anyway, so a light going over with a scraper will bring it up lovely & smooth, and do that bit extra cleaning as it goes too.
    That's good to know @Corvus ;
    Thanks!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    Wash stripper off metal with water by all means but degrease it afterwards. To simply wipe it with a damp cloth on wood could lead to problems when you come to paint.
    I always degrease wood with a fast evaporating solvent after stripping. It ensures no residue gets left behind and gives you a clean substrate to work on.