Bose Wave CD Radio vs hi-fi quandary

What's Hot
Maybe 20 years ago I forked out for a Bose Wave CD/Radio/Alarm.  I bought the hype and paid through the nose for it new, direct sale. It's a neat little job: the sound was 'OK', but I was never that impressed.  Partly, because it's never been right - the CD player has always hunted like crazy. However when I bought it I lost the papers and never claimed under the warranty.  It's been a perfectly satisfactory radio and wake-up alarm.  However I lifted the top tonight and looks like I broke a little lug, so that the lid won't sit properly now. 

Now I'm in a quandary.  Do I get it mended ?  We are in the age of DAB, MP3, wireless and iPods!  What's the best leading-edge technology I should replace it with ?  Or I should I finally bite the bullet and get myself a proper hi-fi? When I say 'proper' I do not mean with a turntable - that's going too far !

Frankly if one of you guys has an old valve/analog hi-fi set up with some nice Tannoy Dual Concentrics that I could tap a decent iPod dock into I'd be up for it.

Feel free you hi-fi nerds to jeer or educate me.  As long as I can get back to a respectable level of of aural satisfaction that I needn't be ashamed of :)
"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
     if one of you guys has an old valve/analog hi-fi set up with some nice Tannoy Dual Concentrics that I could tap a decent iPod dock into I'd be up for it.
    No, but I do have a Bose Wave CD/Radio/Alarm, which I inherited, if you want direct replacement
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    It is probably repairable - just maybe not economically.  Think it is probably time I moved on, but by all means pm me your proposition.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited February 2014
    Compared to docks like the B & W Zeppelin, the Bose Wave stuff really doesn't compete these days.

I considered one an a second room alternative to my 'proper' hi fi and ended up buying a Zeppelin instead.

I can stream audio to it via Apple Airplay from any iOS device (and my Windows based laptop) and enjoy internet radio via the TuneIn Radio (free) App.

It's a better sounding, better looking and more flexible product for me.

In fairness, my (quite expensive) 'real' hi fi sounds better, but not so much so that the B & W ever really disappoints.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    A hi-fi system, even a budget system, will sound way better if it is properly installed in the room.  You can buy a cable with a pair of phonos one end and a plug for your iPad at the other.  This will provide a perfectly decent sound. http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2205&customer_id=PAA1861026514947PJMEKQFTRVHNSBBN [not cheap but good]. There are probably much cheaper alternatives available.

Do connect your Sat box/TV to the system.  Modern TVs have awful sound so you get as much use from your system as possible.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Love those Zeppelins! And I've got a Mac so will have a look at Airplay.

The plug idea is good too - especially if I can repair the Bose, as it has the appropriate (old-fashioned ?) sockets.

I suppose I was wondering what is state-of-the-art these days in terms of compact wifi hifi...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    You probably wouldn't call it proper "hifi", but the Sonos stuff is certainly "wifi" and gives a pretty good sound to my ears, and has the benefit of being completely portable around the house.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited February 2014
    Fusionista;166338" said:
    Love those Zeppelins! And I've got a Mac so will have a look at Airplay.
    They also do a smaller one (about the size of the original Bose dock) for use in smaller rooms. So you can have a really easy to use multi-room system, which you can run off your laptop, Mac, iPhone or iPad. When you turn on Airplay, it shows a list of devices; you just tap the one you want to use and it works. Really usable and about as close to 'real' hi fi as you will get, given the quality of the source material (ie heavily data-compressed).
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I used to put my mp3 player into my yamaha thr10c and it was at least as good as my bose ever was

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    TTony said:
    You probably wouldn't call it proper "hifi", but the Sonos stuff is certainly "wifi" and gives a pretty good sound to my ears, and has the benefit of being completely portable around the house.
    This. Although it's a slippery slope once you start collecting. 

Good luck to the wife once we move into a house that can properly accommodate this! We currently live in a small 2 bedroom flat, so I just use the Jawbone JAMBOX as it's portable and the sound is really decent (although I'm currently using it at the office). 

Sonos is the ultimate goal though. Or a B&W Zep. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    Oooo, than Sonos gear reminds me of my old B&O (which I bet - and lost - back in '79).  Very nice looking.  Maybe the time has come to move up and modernise...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Yea, the Sonos stuff is plentiful and sounds good - but be warned, it's not cheap. But works very, very well.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I have the Bose iPod system, I bought it when I was moving around a lot and it did the job quite well, but was never "fill the room with sound" good.

On the advice of a friend I hunted down some secondhand hi-fi on ebay. Hi-fi buffs are all into "the latest" thing, and often sell perfectly good stuff, when it's about 5 years old. I picked up an Arcam CD player and an Arcam amp for about £120 each and a pair of Kef Concerto speakers for £100.

I set the whole system up in my lounge and put my first CD in to play and have a first listen. I was blown away by the quality and after a year now, I still get goosebumps listening to my favourite albums.

After my experience, I would certainly recommend the hi-fi route, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trouble is, I wouldn't have a clue what I am buying...
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    ossyrocks said:

I set the whole system up in my lounge and put my first CD in to play and have a first listen. I was blown away by the quality and after a year now, I still get goosebumps listening to my favourite albums.

After my experience, I would certainly recommend the hi-fi route, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Rob.
    Personally, I agree with this.  I have an "out-dated" NAD CD and amp set-up, old Mordaunt Short speakers, and it sounds brill.  All this new technology is designed with convenience in mind as opposed to quality of sound.  Not that it's bad, it's just not as good.
  • Whereas Bose want £99 just to look at my little CD/radio...
    Whereas Bose want £99 just to look at my little CD/radio...
    Stuff that!
    If you're considering either one route or the other, perhaps pop down to your local hi-fi shop and ask for a demo.  They'll cater for both. You'll be able to make a much more informed judgement with your ears rather than what we tell you.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    And you'll probably spend less.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited February 2014
    Go to Richer Sounds if you've got one near. They have stuff going from cheap to expensive and they'll demo it. They're usually unbeatable on price too.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    beed84 said:
    If you're considering either one route or the other, perhaps pop down to your local hi-fi shop and ask for a demo.  They'll cater for both. You'll be able to make a much more informed judgement with your ears rather than what we tell you.
    Good call my friend.  And you will get to hear the system before you pay for it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum