A bit of advice for my next build.

Greetings,
For my next build, im going to use up some of the rippled ash i have but im not quite sure how best to make use of it.
The body will either be a single piece, or a bookmatched top onto a mahogany body. So theres choice number one.
Neck will be perhaps dependent on choice number one. I plan to stain the top blue, so either a maple neck+fb (perhaps laburnum for fb) or mahog + something if bookmatching the top.
The pickups will be a set of 3 cream soapbar P90's wired as per a strat. Rest of electronics to be decided. Oh, and no trem, chrome metaly bits, prob the Gotoh 510 wrapover bridge.
So, would anyone care to offer any thoughts?
Cheers,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Do you have a body shape in mind ? 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Blue stains turn green on anything that is not very very pale.... Most ash can be quite yellow.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    The body shape will be a rounded doublecut type of my own - not quite Gibson, Fender or PRS. If Photobucket wasnt being a corporate arse id link to some clearer photos,  but heres a link to a WIP i did over on MIMF some time ago. The new guitar will be the same shape.

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1791&start=0

As for the staining, the ash is fairly white, and some tests and another item (rather looking forward to the NAD on it) would suggest that the blue will be ok.

I was more thinking about the best timber combo - solid ash body plus maple neck or ash/mahog body plus mahog neck. Or something else entirely.
    Oh, and i havent decided on set neck or bolt on.

I have some q/s straight grained laburnum, hornbeam and olive ash (all Scottish grown/kilned) that  could be milled up for a neck laminate (or one piece). Ive also just bought some bloody lovely sweet chestnut, but not sure how appropriate for a neck. The neck will also be scarf jointed. There are also a couple of EIR blanks i could use.

Cheers,
    Adam