Bigsby maintenance

What's Hot
Hi folks

The Bigsby on my Schecter feels a bit "wobbly" by which I mean that the actual arm feels a bit loose on the handle bracket: when I pull "up" I can feel the arm move relative to the bracket (it ends up being levered "off" the right hand side of the bracket as you can see below). When I push down it levers the opposite way. 

My perception is definitely that it never used to do this and that there used to be more pitch variability available. 

Any (constructive) comments? Can this be fixed? Do I just need to tighten the nut that I can see through the spring? 

(Sound the @ICBM horn!)

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    Take the strings off.  Arm is held on with s nyloc nut. 
    Pop a new one on, tighten to your liking, and wiggle to your hearts delight 
  • Cool. Any idea where I source a replacement? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    The nut has worked loose a bit. Generally there is a washer missing, so you can't tighten the nut up enough without it either making the arm too stiff to move (swing round) or loosening itself with a few swings.

If you dismantle it you will see a recess in the underside of the cam, which the nut tension spring fits into - what you need is a washer that fits exactly into this recess. Then grease the components and tighten up the nut until the spring is fully compressed and there is no give when you rock the arm.

Short answer - if finding the right washer sounds too much of a faff, and you want the electrics done and it set up, add it to the list of jobs ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Short answer - if finding the right washer sounds too much of a faff, and you want the electrics done and it set up, add it to the list of jobs ;).
    It's like you're a mind reader  ;)