"boosting" treble on a neck p/up

2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    PM or via your website mate ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On the pole piece issue, I would prefer MrBulldog to advise, as I have no idea how his pickup is constructed.

However I would have assumed that if you screw the pole piece down too low it will just contact the wood at the bottom of the pickup route, which should be obvious, and would be as low as you could go in that guitar.  Best to get advice first though. (disclaimer !)
    And I am not sure if it would give the desired result, even if it works, as I said "just thinking out loud"...

On the pole piece issue, I would prefer MrBulldog to advise, as I have no idea how his pickup is constructed.

However I would have assumed that if you screw the pole piece down too low it will just contact the wood at the bottom of the pickup route,
    they'd have to go a long way down to hit the wood
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited February 2014
    bertie;166888" said: 

John - I assume the old "sprague"  (and its relative cost)  is more snake oil than substance and any old cap will do ? 
    Any cap will do - it's the value that matters when it's only going to be dealing with the signal of the pickup. Just make sure it's small enough to fit in the guitar's cavity! I think different cap types can make a bit of a difference in amps when there's lots of voltage and big signals on them but in guitars I can't tell the difference.
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    If you can't get the tone you want by putting a cap in series with the neck HB so as to drop the bass, another possibility (assuming you have stacks of treble in the neck HB) is to bleed a bit of that into the neck (it usually takes a cap and resistor in series, to stop it getting too honky...)

(It might be a bit of a faff if you are working with Les Paul type switching - it is a doddle if you have a Strat superswitch in there...)
  • This might not be the answer for you but it can be an option in some situations...

How useable is the tone control on your bridge pup?  I ask because some are on/off blanket switches rather than the useful range of top end roll off that you hope for.  If the latter, have you tried setting the amp up with enough treble such that you are happy with the neck pickup and then using the tone control on the bridge to stop it being too ice-picky? 

I used to run the same wiring - no tone control on the neck pickup and I really liked it.  The rolling the tone down on the bridge and up on the amp worked well but I moved away from it because I find that rolling off volume naturally reduces the treble and the combined effect was perfect for the way I use it.

• Oh yes, and I meant to say that I don't know if this is correct ( @icbm will know) but ime while upping the resistance of the volume control does make the guitar brighter with the vol full open, it also seems to exaggerate the treble loss when you roll the volume down.  Therefore matching the resistance of the pot to the pickups is more important than just the outright brightness.  I personally think that is why we use 250k for singles and 500k for hbs.  Yes single coils are brighter, but amps do have tone controls!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Yes, that's correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertie;166909" said:
    PM or via your website mate ?
    Hayden at bulldogpickups dot com @bertie
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Lower the neck pickup and raise the polepieces. Then EQ your amp for the neck pickup. Roll off tone on the bridge as needed.
    @Hayden - will do

@ MCS and Midi -  yeah, it was something Id been considering..............BUT then (being a lazy twat) it'd prety much f*ck it up for my other 3 guitars............... its all "about right" for all of mine without fiddlytwiddling

I'll have a play this week-end
    edited February 2014
    sorted, ish --  screwed the neck pup down as low as it would go............. better top end response now, and actually more balanced with the bridge.

thanks to everyone for their replies/help

Happy Bert.......................... for now     :D