Help with Resistor Value Identification

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited August 2017 in Amps
I need help identifying resistor values. These dont look like 1K 5W to me, what are they, from the bands Iv worked out 10.2 ohm???? Is this correct?
http://imgur.com/a/UtcHB
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    You'll need to sort your arsebucket account.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    can't see the pics because you've used photobucket. can you use imgur instead? failing that, what are the bands coloured?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited August 2017
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited August 2017
    1k.

Bown = 1
    Black = 0
    Red = x 100 ( 2 shifts to left)

I think.

Edit: I think not.
    edited August 2017
    Ahh im working it out as a 5 band with the gold being the multiplier (0.1). Thats where im going wrong. The gold is not the multiplier. I forgot the 5 band with a gold 4th. Thats why the spacing is odd I think 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    That looks like 10.2-ohm 0.25% tolerance. Although the spacing of the fourth band is odd - it's usually grouped with the three value bands, rather than with the tolerance.

Do you have a multimeter?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

yes iv got a multimeter

HHwarner said:
    yes iv got a multimeter
    Measure the resistance. If the amp is off it will give the right reading with it still in circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    This might explain it, the 4th band being gold. FF to 3:55
    http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-color-code/
    Yes, that makes more sense. I haven't come across one of those yet. Seems a bit unnecessary in a valve amp though :).

ICBM said:
    HHwarner said:
    yes iv got a multimeter
    Measure the resistance. If the amp is off it will give the right reading with it still in circuit.
    Ill try that, cheers
    edited August 2017
    ICBM said:
    Yes, that makes more sense. I haven't come across one of those yet. Seems a bit unnecessary in a valve amp though .
    It threw me, i was calculating it as 10.2 also. First time Iv seen it too
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Due to aging eyes and bafflement at new resistor codes I long ago gave up trying to read colour codes*. I just whacked on the old Fluke 83.

*Those of  the old system and of decent size SHOUT the value at me but otherwise, I measure.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    What amp is it?
    What amp is it?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    it is a 5w wire wound resistor, I have seem some techs pull them out because they are so small and they don't know what they are but they are perfectly fine, probably TE Connectivity EP Series
    As shown in this schematic:

Those are not the original resistors though - 2204s weren't fitted with them normally. Notice the schematic shows them as 'USA & some export models only' - they weren't thought necessary for EL34s at the slightly lower voltages in these 50-watters. Penny-pinching to a ridiculous degree! They should always be fitted now, it noticeably improves reliability.

Maybe it's an export model? Or they were retro-fitted by a tech with a clue?