Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

one guitar to rule them all

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
I've been kind of thinking about putting together a jack of all trades - one to grab when I ping a string on the LP but can also cover funkiness, da blues and anything else I try to play (so the solo in beat it for example).  Won't happen until the summer as I'm already spending more cash on pedals and stuff than I'm making.

a bit like the geoff whitehorn fret king (which could be an option) - in fact probably a duplicate of the fret king but putting in top of the range pickups.  that is despite it looking a bit feckugly IMHO as I don't like the look of the P90 

So with a P90 in the neck, single coil and then humbucker with a split at the bridge and decent wilkinson trem, locking tuners.  I like a C shaped neck with gibson style fretwire.  After a double cut to get easy access to the top frets.

What do you recon - start with a (mex or decent squire) strat body or a PRS SE???  Any other suggestions for a good base guitar.  

or is it a crap idea?? 

cheers
nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you want something for easy access to the top frets, I'd have thought the heel on a Strat or PRS SE would write them off straight away.

How about something like a Lag? Fantastic guitars.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go used and go for a yammy Pacifica 6xx. Quality guitars with quality hardware, decent pickups and if you don't like them, they'll all sell.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited February 2014
    @digitalscream - the strat is a damn sight easier to get around than the LP !

the base guitar has to start at a few hundred quid max s/b tbw

yep @theprettydamned the decent pacifica could also be there in the mix - skinny necks though aren't they??
  • SG2000 has the best access to high frets that I've ever come across, and it is a very versatile guitar sounds-wise. Consider it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yamaha Pacifica 812W .. Seymour Duncan pickups, Wilkinson hardware, locking tuners ... the guitarist in Seal's band used one for years. Can be had for peanuts second hand.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Covers band? Need to cover a range of sounds? Line 6 JTV Variax. It's coincidence that I'm selling (and I know you're not doing anything until down the line) but may be something worth considering when you look around? I'm only selling it as I'm no longer in a band and have no use for it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    Another Les Paul and an EQ pedal. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SG2000 has the best access to high frets that I've ever come across, and it is a very versatile guitar sounds-wise. Consider it.
    Or if the 2000 is a bit pricey, try the 1000. Same shape, you might give away a bit of sustain for the bolt-on neck (as opposed to the 2000's thru-neck). not sure if s/h price is within your budget though but worth checking out
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • The build quality of the latest Yamahas is really staggering for the money. I guess it depends whether you get on with The neck and the overall feel. For ages I used a Cort HSS S type for a second guitar with trem, roller nut 1 vol and one tone with coil tap pull switch. Swapped out the humbucker for a Dimarzio Fred and job done. Has a shallow C profile neck and for me that, the feel and light small body sold it for under £200. Remember with "cheaper" guitars the build quality tends to be variable so try loads and if you find one that plays really well and feels right for you then that's the best starting point.

nooo - i did say I was spending all my money on pedals and spare amps @fretwired !!!!

fuck it now you have got me watching that guitar on ebay

I'm happy, nay enjoy, upgrading hardware n stuff as long as the neck and body is a good base

• Can't you get something like a double humbucker Ibby and put some Seymour duncan P-Rails in?

They are humbuckers, P90s and single coils all in one housing aren't they?

I have never used them but I have read good things. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    nickp said:
    nooo - i did say I was spending all my money on pedals and spare amps @fretwired !!!!

I'm happy, nay enjoy, upgrading hardware n stuff as long as the neck and body is a good base

@nickp - they are excellent guitars. I've had my natural one for years [same as the photo above] I even had an internal GK pickup installed to work with a Roland guitar synth so I could as some synth keyboard sounds.

Fretwired said:
    nickp said:

@nickp - they are excellent guitars. I've had my natural one for years [same as the photo above] I even had an internal GK pickup installed to work with a Roland guitar synth so I could as some synth keyboard sounds.
    what are the necks like - from memory (bad memory!!) they are quite thin and D shaped??

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    If you want something for easy access to the top frets, I'd have thought the heel on a Strat or PRS SE would write them off straight away.
    I don't have any problem reaching the top frets on a PRS… and I have small hands. A Strat, just - but only on the low strings.

A PRS SE with a Duncan P-Rails in the neck and a higher-output humbucker in the bridge, plus a split to give either the inner or outer coils - you can do this with two push-pull pots, or a 3-way mini-switch - will give you pretty much what you want without routing for a third pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GruGru Frets: 339
    What about a Fender Black top Strat or dare I say a Chapman Cap10?
    nickp said:
    Fretwired said:
    nickp said:

what are the necks like - from memory (bad memory!!) they are quite thin and D shaped??

I usually play Strats and Les Paul's - the Yamaha is a modern profile but I find it comfortable. It's certainly well made and it's not a baseball bat.

• Or to cover all bases burns red special 

Or as a donor hunt down an old Fenix strat
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @maltingsaudio

red special

do you recon they would fit the bill coz I have really fancied one of them for ages.  I'd have to save a bit harder.