fret gap

dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
edited August 2017 in Making & Modding
need Some advice I have an acoustic guitar and a lot of the frets most at the sides some in the middle  are not flush with the wood , I can slide my feel gauge  in the gap which     reads 0025   /    .063mm   so it is very small , tried tapping them down but they will not move ,   is this normal ? should I be looking in to  re fret guitar ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    How does it play?

They shouldn't be that highgbut if they are solid and it plays fine i wouldn't re-fret at this stage
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    well the guitar is used and from fret 12 down the frets are flat  with no crown , someone must been soloing a lot as it is  a cutaway , also there is  some rust on the frets , Cant say how it plays as I have not got a set of  stings for it, looking at it I don't think its going to sound its best .
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    Could be frets lifting. Could be fingerboard shrinkage.

A fret rocker tool will show whether the frets are level with each other. If they are, you need to reverse the fingerboard shrinkage by treating the wood.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    the frets are level but they are a few that are not level frets past the 12 fret ,  so I can level from the 12 to the 20 fret which I don't mine some fall away ,  I got this guitar at a car boot sale so I don't know the history its been used , I have put lemon oil on the fret board , and left a small cup of water inside the guitar  and left it in its hard case ,  I don't know if this will work but I had a idea if it doesn't ,  I was thinking of wicking in some ca in to the gaps and using the fret press, do you thinking I should? I have done re fretting before and  if I was to do this guitar it would be my 4th guitar,  although I don't get much time with work .