Speaker Suggestions - low wattage JTM

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
edited August 2017 in Amps

Hi all

Getting into practicing with a band again, hopefully gigging soon. 

I have been (trying to) use my amp 'cranked' with little luck so far - the speaker that made it a perfect pedal platform, an Eminence Cannabis Rex is both too efficient and bassy to work well in this situation. The amp is an MJW JTM45 clone with 15watts of power.

I do however like the smooth top end of the C.Rex - can anyone recommend a 12 inch speaker with a tight, subdued bass, smooth top end and low efficiency? The C.Rex is 103db (!) so something around 97db might make it more 'crankable'. 

I have had some success using a 1x10 in my VHT. It's an Eminence 105 - I like the bass response (I've always liked 10s) but the top end is too 'crunchy' and bright. It's not a smooth combination. A 2x10 is a possibility but I don't want to give up on a nice portable 1x12 just yet.

Cheers for your collective wisdom!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Celestion Greenback G12M would be my suggestion, although I'm not sure about the "tight, subdued bass" bit. The 10" version of the same is a great little speaker too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    simonk said:
    Celestion Greenback G12M would be my suggestion, although I'm not sure about the "tight, subdued bass" bit. The 10" version of the same is a great little speaker too.
    That is certainly the 'standard' in a JTM amp and with good reason. I tried one AGES ago and did like the bass response but it wasn't particularly smooth on top and broke up quite a bit. Maybe a Creamback would work? Might be an excuse to get a Creamback Neo too?
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2017
    Celestion G12m-20 Heritage. Only rated at 20w but still the best Marshall sound I've ever had but I'm too scared of frying them. Perfect for your 15w head though. It's the driver that comes Stock with a 1974x.

Just checked and they've got bloody expensive.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/celestion_g12m_heritage_greenback_8_ohm.htm

If you can find the EVH Celestion driver it's exactly the same apparently but costs alot less.  I got two second hand to try out in a 2 X 12 to risk with my 50w head.

• creamback 65?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited August 2017
    simonk said:
    This^  I use a Marshall 1960ax 4x12 cab with my JTM45, it has Celestion G12M-25 Greenbacks and it sounds gorgeous. Nice warm clean tones and breaks up nicely with a bit of "bite" (if that's even a term!)at higher volumes. I couldn't ask for a better speaker match than them.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • 8luesman8luesman Frets: 11
    I read Gary Moore used Electro Voice 12s on his JTM45 set up on Still Got The Blues album and that sounded amazing!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Completely agree with Greenback G12M

The harder you drive it (easy at its rating) the more its mid-voice character contributes to the sound (ime) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Well there's a strong consensus for the greenback - it's an easy enough speaker to get hold of so I guess I've no excuse! I'd like to try a creamback (either neo or 65) but they seem to be more expensive. Not sure about EV speakers but will see if one comes along while I'm shopping around the 'bay. Cheers guys, appreciate the input and expertise!
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411

I do however like the smooth top end of the C.Rex - can anyone recommend a 12 inch speaker with a tight, subdued bass, smooth top end and low efficiency? The C.Rex is 103db (!) so something around 97db might make it more 'crankable'. 

I have just replaced an Eminence speaker in one of my amps with a Creamback 65 which was a great improvement but expected a significant drop in volume given the Eminence was 103db and the Celestion is 97db but I can't detect any change in volume really.

Maybe the 103db is optimistic or they measure differently to Celestion.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    iirc the creamback was a way of getting the greenback sound with more power handling - if you don't need that watts... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    edited August 2017
    Collings said:

I have just replaced an Eminence speaker in one of my amps with a Creamback 65 which was a great improvement but expected a significant drop in volume given the Eminence was 103db and the Celestion is 97db but I can't detect any change in volume really.

Maybe the 103db is optimistic or they measure differently to Celestion.
    Eminence ratings are quite optimistic compared to Celestion for both sensitivity and power rating, in my experience.

TimmyO said:
    iirc the creamback was a way of getting the greenback sound with more power handling - if you don't need that watts... 
    It is, but it's also a little tighter at the bottom end and darker at the top, I think - I haven't directly A/B'd them with the same amp though. The same seems to be true for the G12H-75 Creamback vs. the G12H-30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 199
    I know there are some mixed opinions on Watford Valves on here, but they've got their Harma Ruby speakers at half price at the moment (which I'm fairly sure are made by Tayden), and they seem like a bit of a bargain for that something in that Celestion-y style. The prices are annoyingly quoted pre-VAT -  they come to about £62 posted.  I've picked up the Classic Ruby, though I'd guess the Blue Ruby might be in the right sort of ballpark for your needs since it's a G12M style.  Their quoted sensitivity is a little higher than the Greenback, but that can be tricky to compare between manufacturers.  
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader
    The WGS Green Beret is a great alternative to a Greenback, but at 99.6dB is probably too loud for your needs?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

TimmyO said:
    It is, but it's also a little tighter at the bottom end and darker at the top, I think - I haven't directly A/B'd them with the same amp though. The same seems to be true for the G12H-75 Creamback vs. the G12H-30.
    This is kinda guiding me towards the Creamback (should one come along at a good price) as I'm not necessarily looking for the speaker breakup element of a GB-style speaker, though I think I need to AB at practice/gig volumes rather than testing at home!