Polytune 3 vs Boss Waza Craft tuner

What's Hot
guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
Hey guys, I'm after a tuner since my Korg pitch-black broke. 

I like that both of these have switchable buffers.

They're both more or less the same price - the Polyyune £98 and the Boss £99 at some retailers now. Looks like they had to drop the price of the Boss!

I know the Boss is criticised for being unnecessary but seeing as these two tuners are both the same price and offer the same functionality, which would you choose?

This is basically just guess work because I haven't played either and have no knowledge of the tech inside, but I get the feeling the buffer in the TC might be better and the build quality of the Boss will be better? Or is this an improved buffer in the Boss waza tuner?

I'm kinda leaning towards the Boss because I actually found myself looking for the warranty information on the Polytune but I haven't bothered to do this on the Boss hah. 

Thank you,

Rich 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can't go wrong with Boss tuners, sturdy, and do the job.

I have a Polytune but actually do prefer the Boss as its more eye friendly with not so many flashing lights!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    Boss every time.

Had a tu3 that I used for several years but got pinched at a gig. Replaced it with various polytune type pedals (none of which I could get on with) and ended up picking up a tu2 off here that has been on the board ever since. It's reliable, it's accurate and it's no fuss -can't be beaten.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Nay contest - Boss.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Boss... not even close.

It's slightly frustrating because I actually like the Polytune app on my phone, but the physical design and construction of TC pedals is just crap. They are the second most common brand I see for repair (after EH) and are not only usually unrepairable, TC customer service don't want to know unless you pay them £65 minimum - and even then they don't really want to. Boss on the other hand very rarely fail, and Roland UK are very helpful.

I have both the TU-2 and TU-3, and I'm actually not certain I prefer the 3... the 2 is just really simple and unfussy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I have an original polytune, it works great.  I'm always a bit dissapointed with any non polyphonic tuners by comparison.  
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    I’d go with a Boss, and possibly the TU-2—I’m not crazy about the display on the TU-3, thought it’s not really an issue. As ICBM mentions, TC reliability is poor, and the company is incredibly unhelpful when something breaks. It’s really a shame as I quite like the sound of most of the TC products I’ve tried.

I like the old Korg DT-10 better still, and they’re very cheap if you can find one; they track better than the Boss, and the display is the easiest to read of any pedal tuner I can remember trying. They’re not as physically robust or reliable as a Boss—but then again I’ve had one for at least ten years with no problems.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    edited August 2017
    I tried the new black TU3w and it is gorgeous in looks and quick and accurate in use. The buffer is meant to be great too on the Waza stuff... 

Ive been thinking about getting one for a while and hadnt seen the £99 offer, so just bought one myself !

I like the Polytune, but always found it a bit erratic
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Boss all the way. Tc footswitches die too quickly.
  • I've had 3 polytunes since they came out (currently black mini one), and I love it. Does exactly what I need, but the boss is also very popular so you'll not go Erin with either 
  • Well thank you for all the help! @Wazmeister - that's cool, hah glad I could help you spend more money. I've just ordered one for myself! 

@Musicman20 - wow that's kind of the thing I was fearing, so strange because I think it's expensive for a tuner. 

Thanks everyone, all your responses helped me out - really appreciated. 

Roll on my tu3w! 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I've just ordered one as well! Having almost ordered a TU-3W at £125 I'm glad I waited!
    PS - Thanks for the info on the price drop!
  • @Musicman20 @Wazmeister ;
    We're the Waza tuner brothers ... should have done a forum group buy! 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    The bright mode on the TU-3 is useful outdoors - for that reason alone I'd choose it over a TU-2 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwoToneGreenTwoToneGreen Frets: 7
    edited August 2017
    Who has it for £99?

Edit: GG have it for £99.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Mine arrived today - looks gorgeous 
  • Cool, mine too! I like it, it's my first Boss pedal and I'm impressed. The pedal press feels nice. I'm using it in buffer mode and sounds great! 
    edited August 2017
    I'm having a load of rubbish luck. Mine turned up barely even packaged from PMT....no notification of shipping, invoice from Dolphin?! Just shoved in a bag with a crumpled up invoice. No email to say it shipped, didn't even know when it would arrive, and they didn't reply to or read my email asking for them to at least put a bit of bubble wrap around the box before they send it!

Anyway, the actual pedal part of mine has been fitted on a bit slant, as in the holes have been drilled wrong. Not impressed as I have loads of perfect Boss gear.

I'm more annoyed with PMT being slack; first time I've used them.

Gonna return and go elsewhere. 
    OK - PMT have been more than polite and doing a pickup/swap on a new unit fresh from their warehouse, so I'm happy about that. Hopefully all will be well and I can get on with things :)