Canon flashgun or equivalent

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4981
I have been asked to take a few photographs at a wedding we will be attending soon. Canon flash guns are expensive, as much or more than camera bodies. Anyone suggest an affordable solution, an alternative to Canon. Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Check out Yongnuo flash guns. Really good quality.

I used to have one to use with a Nikon D700 I used to have.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    edited August 2017
    Yuongo (sp?) are decent enough and a lot less than genuine Canon items. Amazon sell them. Or head over to MPB photographic and pick up a used Canon flash. 
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Agree with the suggestion of Yongnuo. Wouldn't say they are *really* good quality but they are a fraction of the price of Canon's flashes. Or consider Godox...

Perhaps think about whether you might want wireless too.
    oaf said:
    Agree with the suggestion of Yongnuo. Wouldn't say they are *really* good quality but they are a fraction of the price of Canon's flashes. Or consider Godox...

Yeah they aren't top quality, the plastics are thinner and more brittle for a start, but they're perfectly good enough for the occasion and should do the job just fine. 
  • boogieman said:
    oaf said:

Yeah they aren't top quality, the plastics are thinner and more brittle for a start, but they're perfectly good enough for the occasion and should do the job just fine. 

Mine have had pretty heavy use and are very reliable. HSS works brilliantly too, I trigger a pair of them from the matching trigger (yongnuo yn685 flashes). 

Are you the photographer or a guest? If a guest, be sure you don't get in the pro's way and make sure you have a good time. :) 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    Yep, another Yongnuo user here - couldn't be happier.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited August 2017
    I have 4 x 600EX-RT + 1 Yongnuo that is compatible, basically a ripoff version of the 600EX-RT.  The Yongnuo when it works, it's fine, it is just like the Canon, the problem is when it doesn't work.  

What doesn't work?

1 - it constantly de-sync from the other Canon it is set up with on the same channel, normally when it goes to sleep and wakes up.
    2 - If I fire a burst of 5 shots.  The Canons would almost always fire 5 bursts. The 
    Yongnuo would fire once out of that 5.

Due to the 2nd point, I seldom use it now, it is my back up of the back up flashes.  I cannot have a flash that fires 1 out of 5 in a off camera situation?  I might as well not have it at all, it needs to be reliable and predictable, that is the entire purpose of flash photography, that i can control the light.  If i can't control it, it's useless.

IMO.

This is besides the worse built quality, the seals on the mount comes off, the twist lock is not as nice and generally not as well built.  I can live with all those but i can't live with point No.2.

• I have 4 x 600EX-RT + 1 Yongnuo that is compatible, basically a ripoff version of the 600EX-RT.  The Yongnuo when it works, it's fine, it is just like the Canon, the problem is when it doesn't work.  

What doesn't work?

1 - it constantly de-sync from the other Canon it is set up with on the same channel, normally when it goes to sleep and wakes up.
    2 - If I fire a burst of 5 shots.  The Canons would almost always fire 5 bursts. The Yongnuo would fire once out of that 5.

Due to the 2nd point, I seldom use it now, it is my back up of the back up flashes.  I cannot have a flash that fires 1 out of 5 in a off camera situation?  I might as well not have it at all, it needs to be reliable and predictable, that is the entire purpose of flash photography, that i can control the light.  If i can't control it, it's useless.

IMO.

This is besides the worse built quality, the seals on the mount comes off, the twist lock is not as nice and generally not as well built.  I can live with all those but i can't live with point No.2.

That's unlucky, but they are older models I think. I have a pair of yn685s and a yn622n-tx trigger. Off camera ttl (if I want it) high speed sync triggered via radio, keeps up with 5 frames per second (provided they don't run out of juice - it's still only a speedlight). The ttl metering is good too - as good as any flash I've ever had. Mixing the two systems may be buggy too - have you updated the flash and trigger firmware? I had to update the firmware on my trigger to get it able to trigger strobo mode with my d7200 on longer exposures. 

I borrowed the latest d1x camera from a friend to shoot an event and that had a canon flash on it. It kept up with some 14fps but once drained of power, it would *still* flash and under expose - which seems wasteful and contributed to overheating. The high speed sync didn't seem to work either, certainly down to settings rather than the flash though. In terms of build quality, it was *miles* better than the yongnuo I'm used to. And it was absolutely nicer to use - no creaking when turning it, better seal on the shoe, the buttons felt good rather than mushy cheap rubbish... 

I'm not sure it's worth the cost to anyone but a professional, particularly as for the same price as a canon speedlight you can get two manual yongnuos, a cheap light stand, an umbrella and some gels. But the "genuine" flashes are certainly built better and recycle a hair quicker. 

I've never tried the optical trigger on the yongnuo because the radio has been flawless. Next up for me will be a godox ad200. I *think* the trigger has a through shoe, so I can still use it with my speedlights. Is it professional quality? Well, I'd rather have a profoto b1 but it's a lot of money! 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    which camera is it for?

good canon flashes let you do strobe-sync flash (which lets you fill in shadows when taking outdoor portraits in a sunny day, like at a wedding)

I have a very good old one - the 550EX, no longer in use
    the used prices are not high nowadays, hence the fact mine is still sitting here unsold after I sold off my canon 5D and lenses
    what pics are you taking anyway?
    if it's indoors posed pics in one place, then borrowing/renting/buying 2 studio flashes will give way better results than on-camera flashes
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942

I've have bought 4 or 5 Younguno flashes over the years and also have old Canon 420EX I bought secondhand. The Younguno's are OK, but they have not been 100% reliable in operation and the battery door broke on one of them, so it's held shut with a rubber band.

If you are planning getting a single flash, I'd probably pay the extra for the Canon, if you want to develop a more complex system, and you are not doing it professionally, the Younguno's offer a lot of bang for buck.

Depending on how you feel about the tax situation, buying from a grey importer like HDEW or Panamoz can keep the cost of Canon flashes down.

I also have a Elinchrom strobe, it cost about half the price as a 600EXRT, add in a wescott umbrella and diffuser it comes to about the same price!!! problem is that it is mains powered and not portable for weddings.

The massive 7" umbrella cost about £400. the little soft box actually have 2 x 600EXRT inside, a Profoto bracket and soft box….£1300….

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    which camera is it for?

good canon flashes let you do strobe-sync flash (which lets you fill in shadows when taking outdoor portraits in a sunny day, like at a wedding)

the used prices are not high nowadays, hence the fact mine is still sitting here unsold after I sold off my canon 5D and lenses
    Canon EOS400.

if it's indoors posed pics in one place, then borrowing/renting/buying 2 studio flashes will give way better results than on-camera flashes

Indoors but using studio flashes sounds like overkill.  A very small wedding, no pro photographer, so it is up to me to get decent images. I will check the place out soon and see what might be needed. There is always the possibility of borrowing flash gear....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    which camera is it for?

Canon EOS400.

Indoors but using studio flashes sounds like overkill.  A very small wedding, no pro photographer, so it is up to me to get decent images. I will check the place out soon and see what might be needed. There is always the possibility of borrowing flash gear....

If you plan to get some nice posed shots, you'll want to get the flash off camera - more expensive to do with name brand than no-name. 

A couple of fully manual, no-high speed sync flashes will be fine for indoor use and outdoor with slower lenses or stopping down. The two of them, a trigger, a couple of light stands and umbrellas will be a couple of hundred quid or so. 

Thing is... Renting will be that, or less probably. So if you trust you can get to know the gear well within a day or two, renting may be a good option. 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

You've probably thought of this already, but make sure that the Vicar/Registrar are happy with you using flash. Some places I photographed Weddings in the past didn't allow it during the ceremony.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    No flash used at all in every wedding I've shot.

Best not to even if allowed but 99% won't let you.  Also out silent shutter on if you have it.

the flash only comes out in the evening.

I'd use no flash in the church, and at the reception, 2 studio lights triggered by your built in flash.
    The results will be massively better than an on-camera flash, you will be stunned
    I bought an Elinchrom D-lite set, the results were so good, it's stopped me taking photos to some extent, since it made everything predictably good
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    Off camera flash, with Speedlites are MUCH more flexible than a Strobe.  The thing with flash is, once you know how to use it manually, you can recreate it again and again and again, with different backdrop, different situations and twist a tiny thing to get impressive results.

Direct flash on a stand behind them

I just put it down on the floor.

On a beach to the side in a soft box.

Flash behind on a soft box

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Love that first shot @RaymondLin ; ;)
    boogieman said:
    Love that first shot @RaymondLin ; ;)
    Thanks !  =)

Strobes in a wedding…..not going to happen, at least for me.

But you can use it for fun effects though !

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom