Jimmy Page Wiring

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a good JP wiring harness....without going to the states? 

ironically, what is today known as the Jimmy Page wiring consists of 4 push pull pots though I believe Jimmy Page ink ever had one, maybe two push pulls.

thanks all.

(my tech quoted £150!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited August 2017
    I always associated the four push-pull pots circuit with Schecter Guitar Research, back in the days when they mainly manufactured bodies, necks and pickups rather than completed instruments.

Page's Gibson Custom Shop touring backup LP had two mini switches affixed to the underside of the pickguard.

In recent times, Page has taken to using the Freeway 3x3-03 six position toggle selector switch. This will get you the six most useful coil permutations from a two humbucker guitar with no need to remove any wood and no poncing about with push-pull pots under the volume knobs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    That's definitely in my scope of work, I'd probably be looking at £120 inc delivery.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    JP harness here for £80 - http://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/jimmy-page-harness

Superb quality, and you can always upgrade the caps at a later date if you want (although I wouldn't personally).

If anyone charges you more than a £100, you're being ripped off. I've just looked at the price of those components seperately and there's more than enough margin there.

EDIT: If you want to wire it up yourself, you can save £15 by ordering this one - http://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/jimmy-page-wiring-kit

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Can anyone recommend a good JP wiring harness.
    I should have asked yesterday. On what guitar do you propose to perform this modification? What sort of output cable do the two pickups have?
  • Can anyone recommend a good JP wiring harness.
    I should have asked yesterday. On what guitar do you propose to perform this modification? What sort of output cable do the two pickups have?
    Its an Epiphone Les Paul - always wanted to try it out. I know its hit and miss with some people and having 4 push pulls might be overkill for some but still....

RiftAmps said:
    JP harness here for £80 - http://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/jimmy-page-harness

Superb quality, and you can always upgrade the caps at a later date if you want (although I wouldn't personally).

If anyone charges you more than a £100, you're being ripped off. I've just looked at the price of those components seperately and there's more than enough margin there.

EDIT: If you want to wire it up yourself, you can save £15 by ordering this one - http://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/jimmy-page-wiring-kit

Yes! I found this last night. Its on eBay for £95ish but went on their website direct and its cheaper. Those darn eBay fees catching up with some people!

I made the investment and await delivery. I wont change the caps - I'm a firm believer in orange drops.

thanks gents - I'm sure I'll be back on this thread for installation tips!
    tFB Trader
    My misunderstanding, my £120 would be with switch & jack. If it's for an Epi you'll want short shaft pots.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Interested in what you think of it
  • Alegree said:
    My misunderstanding, my £120 would be with switch & jack. If it's for an Epi you'll want short shaft pots.
    Hey I bet you could come up with some kick ass pickups to work in combo with that. 
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    Hey I bet you could come up with some kick ass pickups to work in combo with that. 
    I'm not one to say no to a challenge!
  • I did the Jimmy Page wiring thing in one of my first builds (a Harley Benton LP kit, plus Iron Gear Blues Engine & Dirty Torque pickups). It had some lovely tones, but I could never remember what combination of the 4 push/pulls was required for each tone. Now I tend to be more conventional, and add a mini switch that selects a tone I really like. Then all I have to remember is on or off. And sometimes I struggle with that choice.
  • I have to say gents, very chuffed with this kit. Was going to take it to a tech to install but managed it myself. Price has now gone up, mind. 
    It does all sorts with the 4 push pulls. Very happy 
  • Soldering this particular circuit is time consuming but not unduly difficult. The tricky part is remembering the difference between some of the coil permutations and which pots to push and pull to find the five good sounds.
  • Soldering this particular circuit is time consuming but not unduly difficult. The tricky part is remembering the difference between some of the coil permutations and which pots to push and pull to find the five good sounds.
    yes i can imagine - i was in contact with one of the guys at Six String Supplies they said each jimmy page harness takes upwards of 4 hours to do....hence the price.
    tFB Trader
    Soldering this particular circuit is time consuming but not unduly difficult. The tricky part is remembering the difference between some of the coil permutations and which pots to push and pull to find the five good sounds.
    yes i can imagine - i was in contact with one of the guys at Six String Supplies they said each jimmy page harness takes upwards of 4 hours to do....hence the price.
    They must employ sloths if it takes them 4 hours to wire 4 push/pulls.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    Can anyone recommend a good JP wiring harness....without going to the states? 

ironically, what is today known as the Jimmy Page wiring consists of 4 push pull pots though I believe Jimmy Page ink ever had one, maybe two push pulls.

thanks all.

(my tech quoted £150!)
    It depends if the harness that was quoted for was a full harness including switch and jack or just a 'short' harness with four wired pots and caps. The switch extension part is time consuming to make properly. The base cost of a harness will depend on the spec and components used, top quality push pull CTS pots for example are around £11.00 each so four of them alone pretty much take up 1/3 of your £150.00. If PIO caps were the spec then they are not cheap either. Quality wiring jobs with shrink tube on exposed joins are time consuming. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I have to say gents, very chuffed with this kit. Was going to take it to a tech to install but managed it myself. Price has now gone up, mind. 
    It does all sorts with the 4 push pulls. Very happy 
    glad you like it and well done for installing. 

Funkfingers said:
    Soldering this particular circuit is time consuming but not unduly difficult. The tricky part is remembering the difference between some of the coil permutations and which pots to push and pull to find the five good sounds.

time consuming indeed. There is a lot of heat shrink tubing involved and a fair amount of work to be done on each pot.

Alegree said:

No sir! 4 hours is an exaggeration - but by the time the harness is wired, template made, printed off all the paperwork/diagrams/installation instructions and packed it - 3 hours easy. Bear in mind there's only so many hours in a day and having to prepapre/solder, pack and ship other orders, 
    We charge £80 for 4 pots - so it has to be perfect. Attention to detail is important, as I'm sure being a pickup winder you understand. Its not the nicest wiring job in the world but I have to make sure every single joint is tip-top as it can be a ball-ache to install once at the customers end.

@Alegree ;Big fan of your pickups by the way....I had a stand at Bristol Guitar Show next to Bear Guitars....

RiftAmps said:

Thanks for comments - well £83 seems reasonable but you'd be surprised at the number of guitar techs who have bought it and added their own mark up respectively. It's a time issue for many. There is decent margin, but for every on of these JP harnesses we do - we could knock out 10 Les Paul harnesses. The price is a reflection of time involved.

Yes! I found this last night. Its on eBay for £95ish but went on their website direct and its cheaper. Those darn eBay fees catching up with some people!

Oh yes! Its a bitter feeling when eBay take 9% of this. 

Thanks for your comments everyone - had a little website traffic filter through from the The Fretboard so thought I'd pop in and say hello.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader

Alegree said:

No sir! 4 hours is an exaggeration - but by the time the harness is wired, template made, printed off all the paperwork/diagrams/installation instructions and packed it - 3 hours easy. Bear in mind there's only so many hours in a day and having to prepapre/solder, pack and ship other orders, 
    We charge £80 for 4 pots - so it has to be perfect. Attention to detail is important, as I'm sure being a pickup winder you understand. Its not the nicest wiring job in the world but I have to make sure every single joint is tip-top as it can be a ball-ache to install once at the customers end.

@Alegree ;Big fan of your pickups by the way....I had a stand at Bristol Guitar Show next to Bear Guitars....

I can imagine the extra time added on making it look pretty.

Thanks :) I love Andrew and John's work. Very fortunate to be involved with them.