Klon Klones - any recommendations ?

What's Hot
JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
edited February 2014 in FX
Never had one ... Wanna see what I'm missing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fredric Golden Eagle. My favourite drive pedal by far at the moment, and made by our own @Timhulio
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited February 2014
    What's difference between that and the standard Fredric's ?
  • Nothing between the GE and Zombie except the orientation and pcb layout afaik.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I like the golden eagle too. Never tried any other Klone, but perfectly satisfied with it. And it's small.

• Cheers guys / I'm stalking both atm

Anyone else got any feedback ; Klones vs Klon comparison ?
  • Juan solo makes a decent Klon. He's a good guy to talk to about comparisons as he knows a lot of background on them
  • I've got a Karma FX one, great pedal although I'm thinking about selling it soon as I don't use it much
  • I got the Zombie Klone too, cracking pedal
  • Ehx soul food.

Whatever you do, don't go on a wait list for a ktr, it'll be years before you realise you'll never get it.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I tend to do one offs every now and then for capacitor money, though I haven't any boards in at the moment to make any. Timhulio (Fredrik Effects) is your man for production Klones over here.

They're a great OD which work with just about everything. They're not perfect, but they're very, very good. What they do that's unique in the OD world is the gain is a blend between a clean and a dirt signal. Which works quite well unless you dial the gain all the way around which doesn't sound that nice IMO. Though pulling the treble control back as the gain goes up tends to tame it a bit.

They're worth a go if only for the fact that it's an OD that's different to a TubeScreamer ;)
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I've got the Golden Eagle too.... I think its great... and a very different sound to my tubescreamer type that sits alongside it.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Ehx soul food.

Whatever you do, don't go on a wait list for a ktr, it'll be years before you realise you'll never get it.

This.

Or if your handy with a soldering iron(or know someone that is) get a pedal parts kit. :)

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    @juansolo - do you know if the sunking pcb is still made?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • the zombie one seems pretty good, the JHS soul food (waiting on delivery) on paper should be THE klon to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2014
    frankus said:
    @juansolo - do you know if the sunking pcb is still made?
    Nope, bean pulled that long ago after the Tone Monk fiasco. He only does the Kingslayer now, which is a refined Klon-like thing.

The Grind Customs Chimera BFD is spot on if you want an alternative.

As for which is the best Klone... FWIW, they all are much of a muchness if they're built right. There's no real mojo in there and the unicorn tear diodes aren't particularly hard to find either. They're all based on the same schematic done back in the day on FSB. Which I have no doubt whatsoever is completely accurate to the pedal they traced. However when we back-to-backed ours with a Klon we found a slight difference which was addressed with the swapping of one cap (tone cap from a 3n9 to a 8n2). To the point they were indistinguishable. That's not to say either is wrong or right, just that that particular Klon might have had a different cap in it to the earlier one.

What I'm saying is, generally, if it's made well enough, there's f**k all in it. So get the one in the box you like the most ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Ironically it's for refitting into a Tone Monk :D

Ta - I'll investigate
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    edited February 2014
    I'm getting this one from arcane Analogphoto Klone1S_zpse0f04acd 1.jpg
  • darcym said:
    the zombie one seems pretty good, the JHS soul food (waiting on delivery) on paper should be THE klon to have.
    Just looked this up, NIFTY.  

• I have an ARC effects Klone V2 which was so much better than my KTR that I sold it. As far as klones go it's the best I've tried (I had the Fredrick's one as well)
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I was going to get an arc until I saw the arcane. There very very good from what ive seen and heard.