Drumming on the Soundboard

What's Hot

I've been tapping beats on the soundboard of my old S&P and just messing about for an hour or so seemed to leave quite a few marks.
It's old and at the stage where it takes a beating well so I don't care.

But I just wonder at what point you start destroying your new guitar.  I mean if you spend 3k on a Lowden and it's a big part of your style, do you just wade right in so it looks like Monte Montgomery's or Jon Gomm's guitar by the end of the week, or do you wait a while and stick to playing nicely for a while.  Or just buy second hand?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited February 2014
    it depends how you play what the guitar IS to you.

A prized and longed sought after treasure ?
    Merely a tool for a profession ?
    Just one of many in your possession?

If its 'part of your style'  but losing it would be irreplaceable, or you may need to shift it on at some point  Id think again about either a) your style  or b) buying something you could afford to replace

Saying that,  acoustics (well made) are a lot more durable that you may imagine. 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Flamenco players stick a plastic "golpeador" on, sometimes two, one above and one below the soundhole.  I saw Don Ross play a very percussive style on a steel string acoustic and it didn't look like he had anything protecting the guitar.   He seemed to use the fleshy parts of his hands more, the side of his thumb and the soft part of his fingertips, no nails.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Just ask Willie Nelson ....

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Flamenco players stick a plastic "golpeador" on, sometimes two, one above and one below the soundhole. 
    I do too on any acoustic without a pickguard (and I don't play Flamenco).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I stick to slapping the strings and doing slapped harmonics but that's mainly because I can't get the hang of the soundboard drumming stuff!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've got a mate who's done a 'Willie Nelson' on his cedar topped Takamine. He's a gigging musician and plays a lot for pleasure too. He doesn't do drumming style but has worn it through his picking style. To him it's just one of those things. Interestingly, he's had it 10 or so years, the top wore through about 5 years later but the damage hasn't really worsened since then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    It depends on the wood and the finish. A thin nitro or polyurethane over cedar will wear through very quickly, a thicker polyester over spruce is much tougher. The wood matters as well as the finish because if it's soft and indents easily, the finish will crack and separate from it.

I don't know what Ovation used - probably polyester - but it's very thick and seems about as good as armour plating… I don't think I've ever seen one with pick wear through to the wood, and they don't have pickguards. (But they do occasionally suffer from temperature/humidity cracking, because the finish is very thick and hard.) On the other hand they're not exactly renowned for their tone either!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This reminds me of Glen Hansard...
  • You need to stop doing all that ''drumming" stuff. Unless you are planning on appearing in a Wonga ad, it is neither big, nor clever.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479

I've been tapping beats on the soundboard of my old S&P and just messing about for an hour or so seemed to leave quite a few marks.

But I just wonder at what point you start destroying your new guitar.  I mean if you spend 3k on a Lowden and it's a big part of your style, do you just wade right in so it looks like Monte Montgomery's or Jon Gomm's guitar by the end of the week, or do you wait a while and stick to playing nicely for a while.  Or just buy second hand?

Destroying your guitar????? Why would you ever want to do that?

I play mine and cherish it. To get the best from the guitar, you have to bond with it and let it become an extension of you. Changing guitars after destroying them will not get you to your best. 

• You need to stop doing all that ''drumming" stuff. Unless you are planning on appearing in a Wonga ad, it is neither big, nor clever.....
    I don't really do it much myself, I'm really just a straight up fingerstyle player, do the odd bit for loops but it was the Wonga type fellas I was wondering about.  Lots of expensive guitars, there must be a point where they go, yes this is a keeper and start whacking it like a snare....
  • Wolfetone said:

Destroying your guitar????? Why would you ever want to do that?

I play mine and cherish it. To get the best from the guitar, you have to bond with it and let it become an extension of you. Changing guitars after destroying them will not get you to your best. 
    I'm talking about the whole guitar as a drum movement that seems to have taken over modern acoustic playing.  Perhaps destroying is going a bit far but people who play that style often have well worn soundboards.  You can't of missed the whole thing Wolftone??

I think everybody has different ways of getting the most out of guitars, each to their own.  But plenty of people cherish their guitars too much as well, never leave the house and worry about every little scratch, I'd put my self in the middle, 'just play the bloody thing' camp.
    professional guitarist,  guitar = tool.  End of
  • bertie;168476" said:
    And again I give you Glen Hansard.
    thats very kind,  but Ive no idea who he is, plus I dont have the room, so please have him back 

:)

• There's an Ani DiFranco sig guitar with extended scratch plate and (IIRC reinforced top).
    edited February 2014
    just buy a 2' x 3'  sheet of formica, shape it  and glue it to the soundboard
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    bertie said:
    That is true, but a proper craftsman knows how to look after and maintain his tools.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertie;168973" said:
    The23rdman said:

thats very kind,  but Ive no idea who he is, plus I dont have the room, so please have him back 

:)
    Google his guitar. :)

• Golps on both my nylons for that reason. I do play flamenco and tapping is part of the style