A Friday Hypothetical Spending Question...

What's Hot

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    Probably a Gretsch of some kind. Perhaps a 6120, or a black falcon or a white falcon. 

Decisions decisions....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2017
    Smugglers Tele with many grams of ching hidden under the plate.

It's Friday bois!
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    So, just image that you had £3000 to spend on a guitar...

What would YOU buy right now and why ?
    I would try to find a Les Paul that looks like Jimmy Page's #2 Les Paul. I love the colour and it's what I want. 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I would use the £3k to attract investors to a new Betty Ford style clinic.

You have to guess what the target acquisition addiction is.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Kalimna said:
    Roland - I would try and squeeze in a drum/thickness sander there too....
    Yes, that's just about possible if I used a cheap chip extractor vented to atmosphere rather than worrying about dust particles. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I can't imagine spending that much on an electric guitar.  
    Nor me. But that's treating it like real money that I've earned.

If someone gave me £3k of someone else's money and threatened to murder my family if I didn't buy a guitar with it I'd be in the car and off to the shops.

Right now I'd quite like something 335-shaped. The '63 VOS is right on the button, price-wise.
    In that case, to save my family, I'd hunt a nice 60's ES330 out.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144

I can't imagine spending that much on an electric guitar.  
    Nor me. But that's treating it like real money that I've earned.

If someone gave me £3k of someone else's money and threatened to murder my family if I didn't buy a guitar with it I'd be in the car and off to the shops.

Right now I'd quite like something 335-shaped. The '63 VOS is right on the button, price-wise.
    In that case, to save my family, I'd hunt a nice 60's ES330 out.

No doubt you'd be allowed to play it whenever you liked with impunity. Remind everyone what you went through to get it :)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Right now? Today now? Lunchtime now? Depends what Guitar Guitar have in stock. Speaking of which they've got a 2016 Cherry BB King Lucille in stock in Epsom at a smidge under the £3k limit. Drool.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I would never spend 3 grand on a guitar. Not even with a euromillions jackpot behind me..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Just under £2k on the RG I played at Feline today and the rest on a diamond for Natasha. 

If I was forced to spend it all on a guitar I'd give it to Jonathan and ask him to build me a better Jem than Ibanez make.

I've been reminded today of what that next level of quality is like. 

I saw both of the brand new lions that are due to go out to one very excited forum member.
    I would be climbing the curtains if I was waiting for them !
    ;)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298

^^ This or an early 60's Les Paul SG Junior:

Yummy!
    This
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Probably a half-decent archtop electric. I doubt any solidbody guitar is really worth £3K, but an archtop certainly can be… and because I am now old so I'm sure I will want to play jazz sooner or later :). That said an ES-295 with a Bigsby would probably do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited August 2017

I can't imagine spending that much on an electric guitar...
    Nor me. Around the £400 - £750 mark seems to buy a very nice guitar. I'm sure others will disagree but much above that seems to be diminishing returns.

ICBM said:
    ..I doubt any solidbody guitar is really worth £3K...
    Agree. I doubt any solid body is worth much more than £1.5K.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I've just remembered the Gibson Johnny A exists, so possibly that. Or the best old Martin 000 or OM I could find
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A birth year Tele from 1970. There really don't seem to be many about though... unless they were all amazing and people are hanging on to them
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    steer said:
    Probably a Gretsch of some kind. Perhaps a 6120, or a black falcon or a white falcon. 

Decisions decisions....
    Me too
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited August 2017
    simonk said:
    A birth year Tele from 1970. There really don't seem to be many about though... unless they were all amazing and people are hanging on to them
    I had a '71. It was about as far removed from 'amazing' as it's possible to be....

Don't believe the hype around early '70s Fenders being little different from late pre-CBS/early CBS guitars. It was too heavy, had a neck which could not be adjusted to the correct amount of relief - even with the truss rod fully loosened - and a horrible thick finish. A Custom Shop Tele may not have 'real' age on its side - but as a musical instrument it makes far more sense....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:
    I had a '71. It was about as far removed from 'amazing' as it's possible to be....

Don't believe the hype around early '70s Fenders being little different from late pre-CBS/early CBS guitars. It was too heavy, a neck which could not be adjusted to the correct amount of relief - even with the truss rod fully loosened - and a horrible thick finish. A Custom Shop Tele may not have 'real' age on its side - but as a musical instrument it makes far more sense....
    Sounds perfect...

I know, I know, I picked the wrong year/decade to be born - I blame my parents.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    equalsql said:
    There's a red one in the Classifieds here right now for £2k. Tier 2 - looks a relative bargain. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I won't name any of my own brand guitars (because I can just make myself one) so something that I still lust after from my past maybe - a 1982 BC Rich Mockingbird (longhorn of course)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom